Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Hog BBQ - Sam Jones & Daniel Vaughn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Hog BBQ - Sam Jones & Daniel Vaughn

I made the trip to Winterville, NC last night to attend the launch party of Sam Jones' first book Whole Hog BBQ - The Gospel of Carolina Barbecue...

It was a great experience getting to meet and talk to Sam...Another highlight was getting to sit at the bar and have a beer with Daniel Vaughn and talking Texas BBQ and BBQ in general...I got my copy signed by both of them and Daniel signed my coy of "Prophets of Smoked Meat" which I finished reading last week...

Haven't had a chance to start reading the book yet - Just thumbing through it I think it will be well worth reading...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	675997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0779.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	675996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	675995

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a hardback copy from Amazon.

Comment

• bardsljr
      bardsljr commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely on my list- am going to Amazon now. I would LOVE to talk to Daniel Vaughan; I subscribe to Texas Monthly and read his stuff every week.

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      bardsljr talking to Daniel was probably one of the highlights of the trip. Sam spoke to everyone but didn't really get to have conversations. Daniel was able to talk more...

Hey! I know that guy with the beard! Looks like a good time! Any free samples?

Comment

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP dinner consisted of several of the recipes from the book. While Hog, ribs, chicken, country fried steak,greens, beans, Cole slaw, hush puppies.

It was a pretty awesome feast.

I got my copy yesterday and leafed through it. My first impression was that it looks great. Good information, good history, and good pictures.

Comment

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'be only flipped through mine also.

My pre-order should arrive Friday. That will probably be my working copy so I can save the one I got last night.

You just can't beat Eastern NC when it comes to pork bbq. Very cool!

Comment

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      It has really grown on me in the last year or so. Still not the biggest fan of the finely chopped but the flavor profile is winning me over.

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      clb239 It's chopped so they can add crispy skin in it for crunch and flavor. I spent 6 years in that part of the state (Wilson, NC) and went to many a pig pickin'. I had never had it pulled before until I started doing my own about 9 years ago. I much prefer it pulled as it tends to be juicier and hold moisture better. Chopped can get dry pretty quick. Also with chopped you you have a higher chance of finding something like a tube vein/artery piece in it which I think is disgusting.

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hulagn1971 The crispy bits of skin definitely make it taste awesome...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here