Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin Steak Cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin Steak Cookbook

I think I may have to pick up a copy of Aaron Franklin’s new book Franklin Steak. From this interview, it sounds like he doesn’t rely on the instant read thermometer to tell when the meat is ready. Very interesting, as I over cooked many a steak before buying my Thermopen.
    You can’t talk about Aaron Franklin and his revered Austin institution, Franklin Barbecue, without talking about anticipation. If you want to sample some of Franklin’s namesake brisket and ribs—regarded as among the best in Texas—you almost certainly can’t do it without waiting for a long, long time. That’s one of the…

I saw his book in Barnes & Noble yesterday and almost bought it...but I resisted. Seems kinda superfluous to have a book on steaks when we have AR and Meathead for information. I'm anxious to hear what other AR folks think about it--maybe I'll have to change my mind.

Comment

My copy was delivered this afternoon and I skimmed through it. Pretty much everything I saw was spot on. If I was teaching a class on steak that would be my textbook. That said if you already know a lot about meat and how to cook a steak there didn't seem to be much new information. It is probably still worth picking up and definitely would make a great gift for a steak novice or someone who really wants to learn how to cook a great steak.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecase View Post
        I think I may have to pick up a copy of Aaron Franklin’s new book Franklin Steak. From this interview, it sounds like he doesn’t rely on the instant read thermometer to tell when the meat is ready. Very interesting, as I over cooked many a steak before buying my Thermopen.
        https://thetakeout.com/franklin-barb...ook-1833953534
        I think in his case, it's just because he's so incredibly familiar with the timing and texture of beef, so he can get away with not using one, and still get super consistent results. IMO anyone who hasn't owned a wildly popular BBQ joint for a decade should probably still be using a thermometer. I've certainly cooked my share and I'll always use one just to be sure. It's one thing if you work in a steakhouse or something and cook several dozen (or more) steaks a week but it's another thing entirely if you're just a regular person who cooks mainly for themselves and their household.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Steak is definitely doable without a thermometer.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with Attjack - steak is pretty easy without the thermometer.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s doable but won’t be consistently what you want without a thermometer, at least in my experience. Thin cuts are fine without a thermometer, but thick cuts would be hard. If you have a thermometer, why make it harder than it has to be?

After you make as many cooks as he has, you can go by feel too. Until then, trust the thermal pen.

Comment

Originally posted by adamcoe View Post

I think in his case, it's just because he's so incredibly familiar with the timing and texture of beef, so he can get away with not using one, and still get super consistent results. IMO anyone who hasn't owned a wildly popular BBQ joint for a decade should probably still be using a thermometer. I've certainly cooked my share and I'll always use one just to be sure. It's one thing if you work in a steakhouse or something and cook several dozen (or more) steaks a week but it's another thing entirely if you're just a regular person who cooks mainly for themselves and their household.
          One thing I disagree with is if he's teaching folks to go by feel instead of temp. I haven't read his book yet, maybe he's not.

Anyone know if this book has the fun narrative of his first book? If it's just how to pick out & grill a steak I might skip it, that info has been beat to death.

Comment

Meh, $20 bucks for a book to tell me how to do something I already know how to do. I'm sure it is a fun and educational read, but I think I'll just buy a nice cigar.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 12, 2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              There’s that word again!

Let me reconsider my first thought about whether or not to buy this book:

I just read some reviews on Amazon and then realized--I should have known all along--that this isn't really a cookbook. It's like his BBQ book--pretty much all about the journey--the ins and outs of beef cuts, cattle breeds, DIY dry aging, cattle "production", etc. and next to nothing about recipes. I thoroughly enjoyed his BBQ book and I'm betting this one will be equally enjoyable and educational. I'll be buying it.

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              adamcoe The long line at Franklin's is worth the wait just for the people you'll meet in that line. They'll even come around selling beer. Bring a chair if'n you can.

The only place we hit in Lockhart was Black's--definitely a good spot. Salt Lick near Driftwood is not bad either--great "ambiance". We enjoyed Cooper's in Llano a lot--I think they have a place in Austin now.

BTW--the freeway traffic in Austin is a mess all day long.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Salt Lick was so good that the Texas Exes in Los Angeles used to get a catering set flown out for a big get together once a year.

• adamcoe
              adamcoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely, I enjoyed Salt Lick last time I was down there and bought some of their rub. Saw their outlet in the Austin airport and the guy in front of me in line was buying like 5 briskets for his office in LA. And yeah, really looking forward not only to the BBQ at Franklin of course but the hangout in the line seems like a good time. Plus this way you don't have to feel bad about drinking Lone Star at 8 am. :P

Interesting take on sous vide. One afternoon I read through probably 100 recipes but didn't really find any inspiration.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't think he's doing the SV quite right, as I've had no complaints. The shocking and treating as raw works very well.

Should be a good book... I will pick it up or get it as a gift at some point I'm sure....

I think it is a little cultish sounding (and silly sounding) when folks think there is one be all end all way or any one person that has all the answers and has it all right when it comes to cooking. Even our exalted leader Meathead says: "There should be no rules in the kitchen or the bedroom."

The difference of opinion, technique, style, etc... all drive innovation and creativity in the culinary world... Even the greats like Meathead, Gordon Ramsey, Kenji, Franklin, etc... don't all agree on everything and I don't think anyone would refer to any of them as failures, hacks, etc... On top of that not everyone appreciates the same flavor profiles, textures, etc...

Meathead preaches thermometers and Franklin doesn't emphasize them as much... both have their reasons neither is completely right and neither is completely wrong... they do what works for them as everyone else should do what works for their own individual situation.

and now I want a steak.... cheers!

Comment

I had pre-ordered the book and got it on release day. Just skimming thru it I like what I see.

I noticed in the grills section he had a nice full page picture of a BGE and his take on using kamados for steak was bascially "not the best tool for steak".

Over on the BGE forum someone posted that and some of the die hard cult members there were rather upset that Aaron would say that a kamado isn't perfect and swore they'd never buy the book. Fanboys can be entertaining.

Regarding use of a thermometer - I think the vast majority of us mortals will benefit greatly from use of a good instant read thermo if only in achieving consistency in results.

Comment

• adamcoe
                adamcoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol...I expect nothing less from die hard kamado guys. When you spend that kind of cash for a grill you really want to believe it's the ultimate tool. They *can* absolutely make a great steak, but you'd think if anyone these guys would realize the point of a kamado is that they can hold temperatures for days, and most people don't cook steak for 12 hours. They're amazing products but obviously there's no one thing that is gonna be ideal in every category. Plus who doesn't want one of everything?

BTW, I was at Costco over the weekend and they had the Franklin Steak book and his barbecue book for $18.49 (I think) each. So next time you are buying some briskets check out the book table and pick up a copy.

Comment

A worth while read
                Now I want a PK Grill

Comment

OK, so my initial reaction was "I already make a mean steak" and, as I noted above, I was woefully misinformed as the book is about so much more. In defense of my inital post, I am trying to cut back on cook book purchases, but this book is definitely worth a read. If'n you enjoy beef steaks, do get it! He kinda disses my steak technique--SV plus searing on screaming hot GrillGrates--but that's OK. I like my method anyway. He'll also have you hankering for a PK grill (c'mon Huskee, learn to spell Willy for the next Gold Medal Giveaway!) AND for some steaks from 10-15-year old Spanish oxen.

One more thing--he explains DIY dry aging. You'll need another fridge...
                  Last edited by Willy; April 16, 2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Ya done got me wanting it now Willy but I just bought the OBR cookbook. Maybe next month.

Comment

• Willy
                      Willy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm anxious to hear what you think about the OBR book.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here