Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATK - tv show cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATK - tv show cookbook

I got an email for this book this morning (America’s Test Kitchen - Complete TV Show CookBook). I’ve always enjoyed watching this show when it’s on. Something about the science of finding ways to make the recipe/process better. Which is why I love Alton Brown and Kenji. But I digress.

In the email, which seems interesting and has me scrolling, I come to this photo....totally makes me want to buy the book now just to see what this contraption is that he has set up for his kettle!

Attached Files

We have that book, and loved it so much we bought a copy for my parents. It's a great book. ATK's New York cheesecake is my favorite cheesecake on earth, it's incredible. I consider the book to be right up there with Kenji, Meathead, Etc.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Now your really tempting to buy. I read Kenji cover to cover.

Side note, cheesecake.....I have a book on cheesecakes, actually consider cheesecake my specialty for dessert. I love a NY style cake. Do you like German chocolate? This book I have, has a great GC recipe that I messed with and made better. 😁 not everyone’s style, but.....may be the best cheesecake I have ever had!

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      So what have they done to the kettle in that pic?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly I do! Not my most favorite but I wouldn't turn it down. Red Man I have no idea, don't remember seeing it, I'll have to investigate. I've had mine probably six or eight years, maybe even more. Not sure if that's in a new edition or if it is in fact in mine.

That's a GREAT cookbook. It's huge and it gets bigger every year as they add another season's worth of content into it. Our old copy covers 2001-2014 ... so I guess it's about time to get another (every 5 years seems about right). In between new versions of the cookbook, I use the heck out of an online subscription that covers ATK, Cook's Country, and Cooks Illustrated ... basically the same info that's in the cookbook.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I get the Cooks Illustrated magazine, have for years and loved the web access. I went to log in the other day and wasn’t able to. I have to renew and noticed there isn’t an option for access now. It’s all or nothing. Which, is great but makes me wonder if I really need the CI magazines now. But, I may have to order this book now. 😁

the only thing I remember not caring for that I've tried in my book, is their chocolate chip cookie recipe. They like the cookies to be a darker brown almost like a caramelized sugar, thin, sorta crunchy. And I don't. I like mine the traditional ooey gooey Toll House version.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!

I love America's Test Kitchen!!!!

Comment

Hey, let’s all just face it, we all here are just a bunch of junkies. Books, grills, smokers, classes - MCS, just a bunch of junkies! 🕶

Comment

I love their recipes too, but I'll stick with my online subscription for now. My biggest gripe with them is that they resell the same recipe over and over again. The recipes they feature on the ATK show were all previously published in the CI magazine. It's similar with their cookbooks, as I have some recipes that show up multiple times across even my modest collection of their books. The ATK books might be the worst example since they add a few new recipes with each season and then sell them all over again.
        Also, whatever you do, don't order the book directly from them. I made that mistake with my first book order from them, and without my consent they put me on one of those monthly book purchase programs. I started getting postcards notifying me that the next book was on its way in week or so, unless I returned the postcard or emailed them to decline it. Instead, I spent a good 15+ minutes trying to find a phone number on their website, and then placed a hostile call telling them to knock it off for good (which they did). If you really want one of their books, get it from Amazon or anywhere else.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I’ve been getting CI for years. Good to know. And think about that.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Kinda like buying a new dictionary. All the old plus a few new.

I got the edition through 2018 for my birthday. I found the picture. They were experimenting with homemade liquid smoke. They attached a still to the Weber to try to capture it. They spent $50 to get 1 tsp, and it didn't taste good.

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          tdimond thanks for that! I was curious about all that gadgetry....

I read an article about smoked ice last week, and it came out well. Smoked side cubes until melted, then refroze the liquid. Served in cocktails. I’ll go with that vs the picture.

Thanks for the info again!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here