Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke and Project Fire videos online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke and Project Fire videos online

This may be old news to many, but I just stumbled upon Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke and Project Fire videos. It looks like Maryland Public Television has both series in their entirety online:

Steven Raichlen explains traditional and cutting-edge smoking techniques.

New techniques in live fire cooking that elevate the backyard barbecue experience.

I've been "binge-watching" Project Smoke over the past two days. I'm really enjoying it. I learn best by watching, and while, of course, Steven's somewhat eclectic recipes are very cool, I am learning so much by watching how he preps, cooks, and presents the food. Steven's teaching style is decidedly non-hurried, which I find very valuable. I also like how he often describes why he is putting each element into a sauce or rub. That is really enlightening.

In a previous life I taught video production. One thing I really enjoy about the episodes I have seen thus far is that Steven doesn't shy away from the notion that he is shooting a cooking show. Things that traditionally would be hidden from the audience -- the set, the production crew -- are incorporated into the show quite often. Indeed, he even allows some of the necessary "TV magic" food swap-outs to occur on camera.

It dreary and rainy outside. So if I can't grill, this is a pretty good substitute.

--Michael

We also like watching SR show on MPBS. Interesting how he bounces from using instant read to finger poke ready to determine weather its done. All aside it is fun to watch him cook on all types of cookers.

Comment

I had several episodes recorded then my DVR died. Thanks for the links!

Comment

I watched nearly all of Season One of Project Smoke this evening. So many things I want to try! And seeing all the different types of smokers is very, very cool.

The 42" Serious Big Bad Komodo Kamado he uses occasionally is just obscene. I can't imagine how many people it takes to move it around. (It's also $10,000 as I have learned, ouch!)

--Michael

Comment

You can access those shows on the PBS website too.

Comment

Watched them & ended up buying 4 of his books lol

Comment

I read yesterday that he's releasing a new book on brisket soon.

Comment

Also om youtube

Comment

WGBH Boston may have "This Old House" as their classic sponsored show, but MPT is the the proud PBS sponsor of the Project Smoke and Project Fire shows.😀

Comment

Project Fire: Episode 108
                    Pastrami Beef Ribs
                    Yes please

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here