Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myron Mixon Are his books worth the read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myron Mixon Are his books worth the read?

Been watching him on Pitmasters reruns. His arrogance is somewhat entertaining but did not know if his books where worth the time and money.

I enjoyed them. The first was what really wet my whistle towards BBQing & gives his history to things. Everyday Practical is just that, how to apply in real life instead of competition.
    I ended up a bit surprised by his countenance on telebision, because I read the books before I ever saw him.
    Last edited by FireMan; December 13, 2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      That happened with me and Jeffery Steingarten. His books were joy--so funny--, yet his personality as revealed on Iron Chef was so...yeccchhhh. Arrogance squared.

Yes

Comment

I have his first one and got a few things out of it. I haven't referred to it in a long time. I'm tempted to buy Aaron Franklins book but there is so much of him available on the internet I don't see anything new coming out of it.

Truthfully I think Myron's kid Michael comes across as more of a a$$ then Myron. I will admit I have looked more than once at the Myron Mixon water smokers. They are cabinet smokers and look well built and designed. If they were trailer mounted I'd consider it but only if he took his nameplate off of it!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaron is a cult hero here in Texas so I bought and read his book eagerly. It's really pretty straight forward but I've never returned to reference. You can get most of it on You Tube.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaron's book is more a great story, his BBQ autobiography if you will, and great storytelling IMO. It's less a how-to book. His recipes are in there, but they're not anything you don't already know. I still recommend it. I wish it was an audio file read by Morgan Freeman or David Attenborough.

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        I read Franklin's book cover to cover the first night I got it. Much more of a how-to book and autobiography than a cookbook. It really gave me a deeper appreciation for barbecue and how it is more than just throwing meat on a grill.

Both Meat Heads and Franklins books are outstanding, start there
      Myron's on air persona is interesting ;0)
      The few times we have spoken I found him entertaining

Comment

Keep in mind that "reality" television is mostly bull crap. One such show was filmed where I work, and I witnessed things like re-takes of interactions, staged set ups, "surprised" reactions well after the fact, and so on. The reason is because reality is BORING. Think of how a show about your life would be. Pretty boring. Here I am, waking up! I usually use the toilet before brushing my teeth. And now I’m driving to work. I take this route daily, always the same. It is the same route I use to get home. And so on.

So they spice it up. Someone has to be the "bad guy". The one creating drama. Maybe they yell at people a lot. Maybe they "get angry". Maybe they are jerks. Whatever. So long as it creates drama that makes the show at least half way watchable.

But it isn’t reality. It is however TV.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          TechSmoker , ya mean to tell me WWE ain’t real? Ya mean Killer Kowalski, Vern Gonya, The Sheik, &Haystack Calhoun were fake? Whatabout Roddy McDowell an, an Hulk Hogan an the Rock? They were real.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          TechSmoker careful, Geraldo Rivera got his nose broken saying such garbage. ;o) FireMan

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          My like is NOT boring, I'm just resting for the next round of excitement...

I bought the Kindle edition of one of his books when it was on sale a few years back. I remember the recipes having quite a few typos and the rubs being waaay too salty. Not sure if that got fixed in later printings.

Agree with the recommendations to go with Meathead's and Franklin's books first.

Comment

Hell's Kitchen is a prime example of how they stage reality tv but I think most people realize there is not much real about reality tv.

The wife was hooked on Hell's Kitchen for awhile. Now I'm not adverse to curse words but there was so much cursing and bickering back and forth I finally had to tell her to give it a rest after awhile. And I wasn't actually watching it I could just hear it while doing other things. It just wore thin on me after awhile.

Comment

I have not read Mr. Mixon's books, primarily because he comes off as an arrogant, self-promoting, know it all with constant condescending remarks that make me want to punch him in his smug face. Other than that I like the guy, he obviously knows how to bbq right !!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate your subtlety. Truly!

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              So he's an a**hole, just your kind of a**hole...

your local public library can probably get you a copy to look at for a few weeks in the comfort of your own home. I happen to have gotten Myron's "BBQ Rules, An Old School Guide to Smoking Meats" from the library right now.

So if there is a BBQ book you are trying to decide if you want to buy, see if you can get it at your public library to help you decide if you want to add it to your own library.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
              Frozen Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Good advice I've been meaning o get a library card since I retired. Probably be my first one in 40 years!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              There you go with that retirement crap again, rub it in our faces

• Ericm
              Ericm commented
              Editing a comment
              A library? What’s a "library"? Here, let me Google it...

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here