Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grillbillies-barbecue-supply-road-trip-"lard-have-mercy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grillbillies Barbecue Supply road trip - "Lard Have Mercy"

Wasn’t sure which channel to put this in, didn’t seem to fit neatly into any I found.

A friend of mine told me about this place in Wake Forest about 45 min from me. Decided to take a short road trip with the family this morning and check it out. The initial draw for me was two things:
    1. They let you TRY the rubs and sauces they carry before buying.
    2. My friend who pointed me here makes chopping blocks. He’s 2 hours away in Greenville but they carry his stuff in store so I could check it out before letting him know what I want.
    We started off with the rubs and sauces. Really helpful to try them and get a consensus before shelling out for them since my little one is a bit pickier and SWMBO surprises me sometimes with the flavors she doesn’t care for. They were really helpful with their approach of layering rubs (salty, savory, then spicy), and having multiple suggestions to try. I’m really excited to try the OBQ Gatorbreath with the Butcher BBQ Honey Rub. And the Carolina Collision sauce is their best seller and one my friend recommended - I got the last bottle. 😃 The "collision" is the ketchup and vinegar, so it’s more of a western NC style sauce. The other two rubs in the pic were actually picked out by SWMBO and my kiddo. That Dizzy Pig Bayou-ish is something my wife wants to try on fish soon.

As for smokers they mostly carry Meadow Creek and Myron Mixon stuff. But the one that really lit the guy up was the barrel smoker they had on display up front. When I asked about it he got pretty excited, and they’re made by a local guy there in WF. I’ve been interested in a PBC for some time (currently only have kettles w/ SNS) but the reports of leaking, temp fluctuations and difficulty in keeping temps down has kept me at bay. These barrels look interesting because there’s no holes for leaks, just the two vent controls. There are 2 cooking grates inside, and if hanging meat he said you put one grate at the top near the lid and hang from it. He claims there’s no leaks, incredibly stable temps, and 12 hour smokes with 20 lbs of charcoal with enough room to add more and get 15 hours. Also has a spot to attach a fan. What it doesn’t have is an easy way to tend to your fire if you need to, you’d have to take everything out. My guess is after learning the cooker this may not be a big deal, but I’m curious what you experienced AR peeps have to say about that. It also has no place to run probes, tho I’m guessing it wouldn’t be hard to add a silicone grommet. Could run them under the lid but then I’d be causing a leak and that lid is heavier than a kettle lid and I’d concerned about damaging a wire. Anyway, got my eye on this at $399, and getting the run down in front of SWMBO should help pave the way for the MCS, so curious about your feedback here.

They also had a nice display up front of the chopping blocks I wanted to look at, so Santa knows what size to get. 🎅🏻 Looking forward to being able to easily chop rather than just pull!

Great road trip, would definitely recommend the place if you’re in the area. They offer classes too at their other location in Wendell. Signed up for their email list and will be looking into those classes too.

Attached Files

Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see the innards. That UDC looks easy to make...

Comment

Sounds like a fine day spent with family!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      100% !!!

Since it's made by a local guy, maybe you could work with them to get a probe port installed - or 3 or 4?

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I was pondering the same thing over lunch today. Not sure how affixed that existing thermometer is either, maybe removing it would allow for something... I was overwhelmed at the bounty of BBQ goodness, focused more on the chopping blocks (Christmas present), and should’ve taken more pics and asked even more questions, but the other 2 were getting hungry!

Sounds like a fun day. If you do talk to the guy who makes that cooker, ask if he could add four "v" channels just below the grate supports, (or instead of). That way you could cut some rebar to use instead of the grate. That would allow you to Hang em High, (sorry Clint).

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh nice idea! I’m thinking hanging ribs would allow me to do many more than of they had to sit on a grate. If I recall correctly there were grate supports near the lid that clearly existed only to hold it high enough to hang meat, but rebar would have to be sturdier for that purpose. 🤔

I have been to the Grillbillies store in Wendell, NC. (which I believe is where there original store is located). My dad and I made a trek there in August to take their Ribs and Brisket classes.

I really liked the store and the classes were very informative.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that’s good to know. They just finalized their early 2019 class schedule and Ribs and Brisket are on the same day in February. Might jump on that. 🤔

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      We both really enjoyed both classes.

For the ribs class they broke us up in pairs and each pair trimmed and seasoned a rack of ribs and then each person gets to take half of the rack home with you.

The brisket class was not hands on but they did a door prize and the winner got to take home the brisket that was used in the demo.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Comment

Very nice. Those blocks/boards look great!! I want one for Christmas too.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        He makes some really interesting stuff, I know his dad used to make them too, not sure if it goes farther back in his family. Currently his web site is a work in progress, but if you’re on Facebook just search "ed's shape shack" and you’ll find it. He also just announced a Christmas sale this morning!
        Ed's Shape Shack, LLC is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Ed's Shape Shack, LLC and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

• djl
        djl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info

I did a little write up on grillbillies maybe 2 years ago. You could find it via the search feature. But your write up is better! I love that store! I go every few months when I’m up visiting the in laws. They live super close!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s awesome, it really was a cool place! I’m already pondering when I can get back out there to get a deeper dive on that drum smoker.

Fun trip! I love shops like this. I just wish there were more of them around!

There is a place near me that has similar things, I like going in there. They have the hardcore gear that normal hardware stores don't have. They also carry SRF, Yoder Smokers, Kamado Joe, Memphis and Chubby.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh yes this place has been picked up by my radar before but have never been there.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Good spot man. If your in the area, please let me know. Great bar in the Same parking lot! Frozen Smoke

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        You had me at "bar" :-)

I've been thinking about running over there, the WF location is only about 20-30 minutes from me, I just don't go that way that often. Now I'll definitely have to get myself over there. Maybe in January....

Comment

Try it before you buy it! Can't beat that! I envy you guys from the BBQ mecca states that have all these resources so close to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here