Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New toy, Louisiana Grill ceramic, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a kamado guy so no real advice other than don't forget about that kettle !! Welcome to the Pit !!

Comment

Greeting and welcome to the Pit from Louisiana

Comment

Welcome from southeast Michigan! As mentioned above, there is a lot of good info here. I have a BGE so it's the same principle. Air control is temperature control. I leave my bottom vent wide open and control the temp with the top vent. Remember that it heats up faster than it cools off.

Comment

I have had a Bge and a Pit Boss which I think is the same as the Louisiana grills version. Some things to keep in mind about ceramics is they carry a lot of heat energy. Meaning long time to cool down and long time to heat up. Also they are very efficient so you do not have to use much charcoal. Also means you will get heat from not just the fire but the walls of the grill.

On my Bge I could close the vents and it would kill the fire. My Pit Boss would not until I sealed up the bottom vent. The Bge was taller. Meaning the heat to the grill was more even. The Pit Boss was a little hotter in the middle vs sides. YOU HAVE TO GET PLACE SETTER of some sort. I have had a lot of accessories but for a ceramic this is key. Hard to figure out which one now because in my day was just the one from the company. Now a lot of creative stuff out there.

On ceramics the heat comes from the bottom so for a brisket fat cap down.

Steaks - keep in mind the top is hot so more likely to cook all the way through compared to a normal kettle especially with SNS.

Pizza is awesome but for some reason I would hardly do it. I wanted to do bread but again just too busy with other stuff.

You can get a fan for the intake if you want to speed up the heating up. I would use a box fan but they make better tools for the job.

Starting coals I would use a electric starter vs the dump coals method...more controlled in my opinion could use a propane torch too. I bent my electric starter so it fit in the bowl better but you do not have to do that to make it work.

In my experience day to day cooking on a ceramic is the best thing out there. Heat up fast, use little charcoal, and little airflow so always juicy. My only issue is they are heavy and I have a condo that I have to wheel the grill in and out every time I use it.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            If you do need or want to seal yours up it is pretty easy. Just get some of that high temp felt gasket stuff and some high temp silicon. I can explain in more detail if needed.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here