Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just can't watch it any longer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't watch it any longer..

BBQ Pitmasters that is. Watching a episode today where they were cooking tri tip and brisket. Wagyu brisket at that and the tri tip looked to be at least prime if not a higher grade. Some of the things these guys do to a piece of perfectly good meat has often puzzled me before but it is what it is, competition cooking and it's the one bite delight mentality.

So they grilled or smoked these pieces of meat by their various methods which is fine. Then they took these fine looking briskets and tri tips and put them in a pan and proceeded to put hand fulls of brown sugar, butter and honey and more rub on the top covered them and put them back on the smoker!! You gotta be effin kidding me!! I cringe when they do this to pork ribs but I was down right offended when they did this to those beautiful cuts of beef! The cattle that gave their lives for those cuts deserved much better than that!

Worst part is the newbies at home watch this stuff and think this is how's it done and go out and do the same.
    Sometimes these guys do more harm than good to the art of bbq.

You have to keep in mind that shows like this are for entertainment value, not as a how-to. I don't know how those judges keep a straight face most of the time.

Comment

This is probly a large contributin factor to why I almost never watch th boob tube...

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        We thank Colin Kaepernick every day for saving us over $150/month.

I was watching the same one today. That one brisket they sprinkled with brown sugar and honey....uugh!

Comment

Brisket needs salt and pepper, maybe chili powder and garlic .... nothing sweet at all.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF brother, if it’s good enough for Aaron Franklin, it’s good enough for me :-)

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard dat, Brother! ecowper

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper I was not disagreeing! I'm of the same ilk!

We're Q fundamental-ists!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Q.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	526897

Comment

Never watched the show but UGH!, gag reflex, UGH!, Sugar and honey on brisket, Sorry, UGH!.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree.

I gave up on those shows years ago after watching probably 3 of them. Not exactly real world how-tos any more than Bear Grylls' survival tips.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            My Compliments on yer intestinal fortitude, Brother!
            That's 3 more of them then I've ever been able to sit through!

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve never seen any of the tv bbq shows. Glad I haven’t.

I have got to agree, gotta treat the meat right, certainly when fresh out of the cambro. Some of this might be a good second day resurrection option, but you need the right horse for the course.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen

So who were these Pitdisasters? Remember names?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Better yet, who were the judges and what were their comments?

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
          So who were these Pitdisasters? Remember names?
          They were all guys who have been on the circuit awhile although I don't recall the names. Judges were the usual suspects, Tuffy, Mixon and Franklin. I didn't stick around long enough to get their reactions it didn't matter at that point it's all scripted anyhow. Heck Franklin did a episode on his own show where he enters a competition and admits he doesn't know the first thing about it. Using all the injections and other methods of flavoring meat was totally foreign and against all his instincts.
          But now he's a celebrity paid judge who talks like all these things are accepted practice.
          He didn't even place in that competition even in brisket!

Had a guy tell me years ago he was set up next to Mixon at a competition and he overheard him tell his kid. " This is just for the judges we don't cook this sh*t at home"!

My wife enjoys watching these shows and to me tv is just background noise so I don't much care what's on. The wife used to try to talk me into entering competitions when she watched these shows. You would be so good at it she would say.
          Now she says "Yeah I don't see you doing that to a piece of meat I get why you don't do it"

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            OK now I know what you are talking about, I did see some of that. I saw the Franklin one too where he placed like 10th out of 18 brisket entries. Just goes to show you, comp is a show and it's too much subjectivity.

I have a recipe from Pat Lafreida for Jewish brisket, the pot roast kind. And he uses honey, cinnamon, and cloves. I made it, and while it was brisket, I'm not making it again.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here