Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barbecue - Fire & Smoke - A Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbecue - Fire & Smoke - A Review

Funny I was just about to write this informal review of my thoughts on this book when I noticed JCGrill 's post citing this and Meathead's books as being on his reading list. By now most of you are aware that one of our European members and moderators, Henrik Oscarsson (better known as Henrik ) has written and published his own cookbook. I've been reading through it and find it first of all well written but secondly very thorough in a basic coverage of barbecuing from A-Z.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	546.3 KB ID:	486127
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	485.3 KB ID:	486128

As you can see from the table of content, he covers basic grilling and smoking techniques, touches base on the science of both and the use of various fuels. He then gets into specific techniques concerning those things that I see a lot of folks getting wrong; brining, reverse searing, resting meat and the use of faux cambros.

One of my favorite sections is his explanations about marinades, rubs and baord sauces. I've already tried a couple of his ideas and really like the results.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	745.5 KB ID:	486129

After prepping his reader into HOW to properly cook with fire, he moves into the introduction to the meats and then into recipes. The teaching and techniques don't stop there, he infuses and enhancing proper cooking methodology throughout his recipes.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	727.1 KB ID:	486131

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	699.1 KB ID:	486130

As you can see above he shows the proper way to remove the membrane from a rack of pork ribs, not just the saucing and the cooking. He also makes use of some spices that I don't see or use very often here like cinnamon, which I've come to appreciate as a great flavor enhancer.

He wraps things up with a short but illustrative review of his building a large offset cooker out of an old tank (ala Aaron Franklin) where his passion for all aspects of barbecuing shine !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Henrik 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	652.2 KB ID:	486132

Beautifully illustrated and well written, he borrows much of the information that we adhere to on this site. I find it an easy going companion to the Meathead cookbook with the added perspective and flavor of a European. My only objection would be that I really look forward to more recipes !!!

Bravo Mr. Oscarsson and well done !! Thorough and to the point covering topics every beginning barbecuer should know, if he doesn't already. Looking forward to more......

I had just a little difficulty with the accent, but able to get through it.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan, What the H--L Did You Expect From Someone Named
      " Henrik " Polish ❓❓ Dan
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; April 20, 2018, 06:21 AM.

I just received his book about 3-4 weeks ago but I haven't had time to read it yet.

Comment

I don't like the fact that he hired a male model to star in the pit pictures. ​​​​​​

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        He does look rather studly ... wonders what photoshop can do ....

Very well organized book too

Comment

Simple cooks and great results! Well written and worth every Penny.

Comment

One of my 4 favorite food books, one of only two whom I actually know the authors of.

Comment

It is a great cookbook! I love the look of the whole thing. It almost seems like your holding a piece of steel. Great photos, how to's and recipes!

Comment

Great review, Troutman! Does anyone have a link to purchase?

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Amazon

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here