Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Greek Mediterranean Cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Greek Mediterranean Cookbook

Some time ago I bought this Live to Eat cookbook. If you are interested in cooking like a Greek I recommend it. Starts you off with the base ingredients yogurt and goes on from there to build you up on using these ingredients. For a a Texan like me I liked it because I get to learn the foundation for another style of cooking and many of the sauces/ingredients can be transferred over to BBQ.

There is a sauce called Tzatziki. Yogurt, vinegar, garlic, dill, and cucumber (peeled, no seeds and diced). The sauce is really not that far off from a Alabama white sauce just some subs like yogurt instead of mayo, and regular vinegar instead of Apple Cider vinegar, fresh garlic instead of garlic powder.

Just wanted to share with my bbq friends.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Did they happen to have a chapter on dirty smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by BriggsBBQ View Post
      There is a sauce called Tzatziki. Yogurt, vinegar, garlic, dill, and cucumber (peeled, no seeds and diced). The sauce is really not that far off from a Alabama white sauce just some subs like yogurt instead of mayo, and regular vinegar instead of Apple Cider vinegar, fresh garlic instead of garlic powder.
      Okay I see where you're going here...cucumbers instead of horseradish. Hmm...the yogurt in place of mayo...I might have to try yogurt the next time I mix up a batch on white sauce.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        The yogurt he uses is full fat plain. I think the extra fat helps carry the creamy flavors. In the book he also does a spin with no cucumbers but adds some chipoltles in adobo sauce but I have not tried it.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds pretty tasty!

Similar to Indian Raita:
      Makes 1 cup

1/2 cup plain yogurt
      1/2 cup chopped seeded English hothouse cucumber

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
      2 teaspoons chopped green onions
      1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
      1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt. Chill raita, covered, until ready to serve.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That is very similar to Indian Raita. No vinegar? A friend of mine has some Mediterranean friends and he says they put a lot of lemon juice on everything. Seems that acid is part of their palate like spice is for Mexicans.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here