Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Thighs - Simple Easy and hotter than you'd expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like adding chili powder to the Memphis dust as well. I also throw in a pinch of cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
      Seriously? I was kidding when I made the comment. You're always on the leading edge, @ABCBBQ Dave.

K.
      Yep seriously. Kit consists of:

Slow 'N Sear Low Profile - This version of the Slow 'N Sear is slightly longer and wider than a Slow 'N Sear Plus and not quite as tall. It perfectly fits the top charcoal grate.
      Slow 'N Sear Charcoal Basket - This is a lightweight version of the Slow 'N Sear that does not have a water reservoir, but it does have two parallel plates that act as radiant heat barriers between the heat and the meat. It perfectly fits the bottom charcoal grate.
      Drip 'N Griddle Pan - It's a drip pan and a griddle... and also acts as a diffuser plate when combined with the SnS Basket.

I've been playing with these for several months now in my WSCG. They work really, really well.

Comment

Uh oh. I see a PayPal/ABC BBQ visit in my future due to this latest attack of MCS.

I'm going to have to start inventing gift-giving-occasions-for-wives, since I've run through all the conventional ones.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You could probably pull off Mother's Day, even if it's only pets!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been hint-dropping for a certain Mother's Day gift for weeks now, EdF, so that gift-for-me occasion is already taken! I'm thinking of instituting a Hug-Your-Wife-and-Give-Her-an-SnS-Combo-Pack Day. It has a nice ring to it!
          K.

Great video Dave. No flogging here. I have always cooked my chickens at an exorbitant temp. It always works better.

Comment

Routinely roast spatchcocked chicken at 450 in conventional oven and skin is crispy. Breast hits 155 (carryover takes it to 160-165) at the same time the thighs hit 175 and the skin crisps up.
          Reliable way to cook a (mostly) whole bird. Takes about an hour.

So so I wonder why this isn't typically done this hot on a Weber and in the recipes here that all call for 325.

Is it because maintaining an even 450 is too difficult, or because smoke doesn't have time to work magic? I guess I'll have to try to find out.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in the same camp, but it depends on the cooker I decide to use.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Kamado's do chicken best in my experience...👍

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I can get my gasser up to 450°F no probs. Toss an A-Maze-N tube or a Mo's Pack in there and it works pretty well. But I prefer chicken on my PBC--at 325-360°F it comes out moist with a crackly skin in an hour. Yum. Haven't tried it with my WSCGC in kamado mode at 450°F yet. Will give that a try.

K

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here