Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Seared Ribeye Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Seared Ribeye Video

Here it is. All of my secrets on reverse searing a steak.

Also here's a direct link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjJQQCfqNY&t

I just tried and it gave me a playback error.

Comment

• Jeff_Carley
      Jeff_Carley commented
      Editing a comment
      same, internet explorer...Playback ID: 0C1su8Z8-u7pZeND

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Weird. I used the correct format. Huskee can you take a look?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha covered David Parrish

Huskee and David Parrish - it's working now. Very well done video except I wanted to see the smiles on your faces when you guys ate the steaks. What I like most is that there no condescension in your explanation of how and why you like your technique. When I watch other videos I often hear "I see other people do this and this is why it's wrong". You simply showed your method, explained how and why and did not put anyone else down for doing it another way. Good job!

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Smiles! Yeah we'll get that in next time. =)

That's a great video Dave. Obviously the youtube link works.

Comment

Dave that looks awesome. I love the turntable grill setup. Cook surface every time. Flare up? Spin it!

Nice job w the video.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot!

Thank you Dave. I actually learned something - the cold grate technique. I'll be trying that this weekend.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      The cold grate is definitely a new spin on things. See what I did there?

Incredible information. You're fine tuning these techniques to a vast precision. Spinning the grate as you sear, brilliant!

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Sir!

Very clever process. Cold grate...flip and rotate...1 minute...repeat x 3 (total of 2 minutes per side)= gorgeous steaks.
    I've never tried this technique before but you can bet your bippy I'm going to be giving it a go on that next steak cook.

Thanks, Dave!

Kathryn

P.S. It looks like those steaks are about 1.5 inches thick. This works great for 2 inch steaks? Or should I think about sous vide at that point? Thanks, David Parrish
    Last edited by fzxdoc; March 2, 2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahahahahaha! You made my night!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kathryn! Yes this technique works great on 2 inch, or thicker, steaks.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Dave. @ABCBBQ Dave.
      Jerod, Jerod Broussard, this video is so good I may not have to fire up Word, just bookmark this page
      K.

One of the most informational videos you will find on cooking a steak in the world, Bar none.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Much appreciated!

THAT steak is a thing of beauty. Now--can someone tell to to what doneness that is?
    I will guess it is medium rare? And I would say IF I could order a steak at a steak house medium rare and it turned out like this then medium rare would be my absolute choice from here on out. But most of the time medium rare tends to be too much on the rare side for me.
    Whatever it is that steak is perfect!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I call that steak medium-rare with a touch closer to medium than rare.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Jerod Broussard is right. It took a while to get the set ready to shoot the final scene and the steak had rested up to the high side of Medium Rare. It was still Medium Rare, though I prefer the low side of MR myself.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheef - ask if the restaurant can cook to temp - not "medium-rare" Some will...

And here I thought I cooked a decent steak...I an definitely going to try that on the next steak I cook.

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yes give this technique a try. I'm pretty sure you'll like it!

Every time you post a video I find myself hustling out to the store! Fantastic stuff!

Comment

I am totally impressed, both with the video and the well-explained process.

My two take-aways were...
    • The sear adds about 20o to the internal temperature of the steaks. I've been getting mine too high and had to short myself on the sear time to keep within the medium rare, internal temps.
    • Turning the grate to present a cold side at the flip is a great tip. I always end up with heavier grill marks than an even sear.

Thanks much for the outstanding video. That ought to be a sticky somewhere, for sure.

Comment

Not sure if I missed it but did you let the steaks come up to room temp before putting them on the grill or did you put them on right out of the refrigerator. Nice video!

Comment

You guys rock Dave!

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Much appreciated!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here