Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Cooking Shows??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Cooking Shows??

The one that really got me interested, many years ago, was a PBS series, "The Frugal Gourmet". Italian food, that frankly, was still probably expensive to make, but it really reached out and grabbed me, as a teenager (maybe I was pre-teen).

"Good Eats"!!! Alton Brown is da man!!! Taught me bunches, in a way I could easily understand!!! Rumors of a spin-off coming back. I hope so, as I believe he has more to offer than a game show host (even if it is food related).

"Americas Test Kitchen" is awesome. They do some things differently than recommended here at times, and I rarely cook the recipes from the show, but I have learned much in the way of techniques and tricks that I do put into practice. I do use the ATK site to look up recipes on occasion, and have a full membership to the suite of sites.

Recently, I started watching "Now Eat This", with Rocco Despirito (spelling?). I don't know why I like this show so much. I don't cook his style of food, but still....I really enjoy this one.

I won't go into the shows/celebrities that I don't like (some I despise), as I don't want to bash anyone. I would bet some of these may show up in this list!!

I was a big fan of Nigella Lawson's shows.

It had little to do with the cooking.

Comment

• Paul299
      Paul299 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, love it. Being a cook rather than her chef her recipes are really easy while still being tasty. I've got 3 or 4 of her books.

I have been liking Diners,Drive Ins and Dives. I like the different foods and techniques that all the guests have to offer. It's been giving me inspiration to try some off the wall things.

Comment

ATK and Good Eats make me feel smart.
      Lidia's Italy (on PBS) makes me feel happy.

I hate watching BBQ shows. Too much "soak your wood to make sure it smokes better", "rest your steak", "you gotta mop your ribs to make sure they're moist", and "smoke it for 14hrs" [without bothering with checking the temp] nonsense for me.

Not cooking but food related, I love DDD and Anthony Bourdain. I used to enjoy watching Man vs Food too.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        It gotta be GREAT to have that much culinary knowledge!! I feel smarter AFTER watching the shows (half a dozen times or more).

Huskee - funny. I love Anthony Bourdain as well and I often forget I'm watching a food show; So much so that I didn't even consider it when the question was asked. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is fun but watching it around dinner makes me feel full. Hate to admit this - Top Chef is a guilty pleasure.

Comment

Alton Brown and Good Eats is the show that made me want to learn how to cook! (he is gonna start a web only show in Jan in the same vain as good eats but with stuff that the Food Network wouldn't let him do (like Rabbit)

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet!! I saw a webcast where he said he was bringing back a version of the show, but had not heard any details since. Good Eats is on Netflix now (selected episodes that change from time to time). Wish I knew where to find the complete collection on DVD or for download.

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          AFAIK there isn't a full DVD set of Good Eats.

I really like shows like Good Eats or Americas Test Kitchen that teach me how to cook things and answer some of the whys about cooking. The shows that are competition or have special ingredients that can only be gotten in some far away store are usually not that good but sometimes at least entertaining.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. It is the "why", or the science of it, that makes these two shows great. And done in an entertaining fashion. Gaining the "understanding" allows one to apply the principal in other recipes with confidence, rather than just following a recipe.

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, especially with ATK, is the solutions they recommend for overcoming problems associated with the various dishes!!

Not a big fan of cooking shows anymore, but I used to watch them. I watch youtube cooking videos now.

Comment

Anthony Bourdain and some of the Bizarre Foods shows.

Comment

There are some cooking shows that I like, (like ATK), but not enough to actually seek them out. So I only see them by accident.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here.

I used to love the Food Network and the Cooking Channel...I watched all of them. From Emeril, Rachael Ray, Alton Brown to Nadia G and Two Fat ladies. Now nothing but contests with food we will never make or eat. Very sad...I lot of good entertainment down the tube.

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              True. But IMHO She is still Smokin' Hot...

• beerwort
              beerwort commented
              Editing a comment
              Soon it will be "The F Network" much like "MTV" (Music TV)

• Atalanta
              Atalanta commented
              Editing a comment
              beerwort - I thought at first you were predicting we'd be seeing more Gordon Ramsey.

Originally posted by TwoNuse View Post
            It had little to do with the cooking.
            I just did a Google search for her. I understand now!!!

Comment

Any show with Jacques Pépin works for me.

Comment

Any of the shows with Giada De Laurentiis!

Comment

• Ate55
                  Ate55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I second that....can I get a third???

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  More decolletage during sweeps periods. More bending over a dish, as well. Wife finds it amusing.

• Hulagn1971
                  Hulagn1971 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ate55 agreed!

Steve B I enjoy DDD, BUTT, I had the opportunity to go to a DDD restaurant one time. At best, they excelled in mediocrity. At best. Would not return.

The funny thing is that exactly across the street was a LEGIT, ESTABLISHED Dive that regularly had long lines! Hot Dog place that was GREAT! Even had Paul Newman as a client.

Man, did DDD miss the boat. So now I question all their selections.

Comment

• Atalanta
                  Atalanta commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Part of the reason we stopped watching Man vs Food. He did a philly show and didn't go to Pat's or Gino's for cheesesteaks. He went to a place that is a media darling, been featured on other shows, Like Beat Bobby Flay.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same experience with a few places around Chicago. There are legit DDDs and there are places that Guy's producers find that will allow them to film and whatnot.

But I find Guy tremendously annoying.

• Greasy
                  Greasy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guy comes out here to Hawaii and some of the places he goes to are great and some are so-so. I'll give him credit, there are a lot of bad tourist trap restaurants here and he isn't leading people to them.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here