Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Books, other than the obvious one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Books, other than the obvious one

I saw Nate mention a couple of bbq books he recommends in another thread, and it got me to wondering what other books some of you have found useful and enjoyable. Other than Meathead's, naturally.

There are so many...Franklin Barbecue is good, Famous Dave's Barbecue Party Cookbook, Diva Q, any book by Dr. BBQ, Ray Lampe. If you want to go smoking specific, there's a number of good books on that topic. One of them is Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food by Warren Anderson. Any book by Jamison, Raichlen, Paul Kirk. Peace, Love & BBQ by Mike Mills. KCBS 25th anniversary cookbook is good too. Boy Meets Grill by Bobby Flay. I consider cookbooks like taking cooking classes, but lots cheaper and I can learn at my own pace.

Comment

But I gave as gifts 2 x Meathead, How to Bake Everything by Bittman, the new Lodge book on cast iron cooking and gave myself Morimoto's Japanese home cooking book and EveryDayCook by Alton Brown.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot! Gena Knox with Fire & Flavor had a 50% discount of her 3 books, had to have them. I met Gina years ago when she first started her business.

When I first got into BBQ my first two books were Peace, Love, & BBQ by Mike & Amy Mills and Big Bob Gibson's BBQ by Chris Lilly. Those two books will always hold a special place in my BBQ Book Collection. Since then I have acquired a lot more books and many more new ones have come out. The two I mentioned above though are must haves in my opinion. Here are a few of my favorites (besides Meathead) and maybe some less obvious ones and why:

1. Peace, Love, & Barbecue by Mike & Amy Mills - The book cover also includes the sub title "Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue" I think that is one of the things that makes this book so much fun. There are a bunch of stories from and about various pit masters and Q joints that really add to the folklore of BBQ and give you some interesting information. I don't know if you will find such a collection of people and places BBQ related in any other spot. There are a ton of great recipes from not only Mike, but a lot of great pit masters. More than a cookbook and just an all around fun book.

2. Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly - I think Chris holds the record for Memphis in May Pork Butt Wins or something along the line. He has won even more since the book was published. This book is a great book about the history of Big Bob Gibson's and is chalked full of some great recipes. I'm pretty sure anytime I open the book now it goes to the page Eight-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder. It is probably my favorite for pulled pork (adjusted slightly for my palate preference). Chis also has another book called Fire & Smoke that contains the Ham Glaze recipe Meathead recommends. It is a great book as well but start with Big Bob Gibson's

3. Famous Dave's Barbecue Party Cookbook - I had the privilege of getting to meet Famous Dave Anderson earlier this year at an Operation BBQ Relief fundraiser in Louisville at which he made some big contributions to. He personalized and signed copies of the book of which the funds went to OBR. Also got the chance to meet David David Parrish Parrish and his wife, but since he hasn't released a cookbook yet I will try to stay on point. One of the cool things about this book is the "Party Cookbook" theme. He spends 20 pages on BBQ Party and Hosting ideas and creating an awesome atmosphere. I mean ideas like a Towering BBQ Sauce Fountain (how can you have a BBQ party without one of these now?), party lighting, food presentation, etc... Also has all kinds of recipes and such...

Obvious and popular books: Well I obviously have Meathead's book. Aaron Franklin's book is great because of the story he tells as well as the knowledge he imparts. I also have some of Myron Mixon's books which have some good nuggets for some competition stuff and if you are a person who likes to break the traditional 225 rule. I also have Steve Raichlen stuff... but I tend to lean heavily towards Meathead of Raichlen when it comes to BBQ and Grilling advice. Food Lab is another great book but there is a heck of a lot to digest...

Point being that I like to read a bit and one of the topics I love reading about is Food, BBQ, and Entrepreneurs as well as other things... So when it comes to BBQ books I like to get history, background stories, failures and successes, etc and more than just recipes. Recipes in my opinion are just suggestions and opinions of what somebody (or maybe a lot of somebodies) thinks taste good. You may like it and you may not. I take them with a grain of salt. Use, borrow, or shig from them and make them your own to your palate's liking.

Just a few thoughts I guess... Enjoy and look up some of them if you can. Interested to see what other folks come back with.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I got Food Lab last christmas, and the only thing I've read in it straight through was the first chapter about eggs. Has changed how I do scrambled eggs, which annoys the wife since it involves 15 minutes of sitting and doing nothing. I've made other stuff, but it's a long play book.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Potkettleblack , I find myself saying, "self I want to cook (fill in the blank) or learn how to (fill in the blank), I wonder what Keji says about it"... turn to index and go searching... great info in there but not one I can just read straight through.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly that. Though his revisions to things that I've made for ages are also worth reading through. Like the first chapter on eggs and pancakes.

Here is the one that got me started in BBQ. This is a great book. Full of great recipes, techniques and wit!! Tons of pictures of their restaurant, workers and customers enjoying the Que. And the Mutha Sauce and Dino rub is to die for. Its really good stuff.

Enjoy the Dino vibe at home with more than 100 flavor-packed recipes from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, the perennially popular, Syracuse-based honky-tonk rib joint.“What a humorous and informative book! A true American roadhouse classic.”—Paul Kirk, Kansas City Baron of...

Comment

Barbecue Ribs and Other Great Feeds by Jeanne Voltz. I've had it since 1986, I think. Great book with lots of old regional recipes. You can get it on Amazon so use the Amazing Ribs site link to get you there if you decide on it.

Comment

Serious Barbeque by Adam Perry Lang is a fantastic book that covers a lot of low and slow BBQ as well as what we call BBQ here in the northeast, grilling. Some recipes are a little overwrought, but they are delicious.

i just picked up Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and I'm planning to experiment with pates, terrines, and the like this winter

Comment

• Bumper
            Bumper commented
            Editing a comment
            Charcuterie is areat book, the bacon was the first I tried and it is a winner. From there, you start googling humidifiers and temp controllers for the old fridge in the shed... And eyeing off the old computer for a fan...

• Pobeque
            Pobeque commented
            Editing a comment
            I already have the mini fridge set up, gonna try my hand at dry aging some beef Food Lab style

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            My brother just made the Duck Breast prosciutto and sent me a couple. My suggestion for what to do with the duck breasts he had. Then used some Amazon money I sent for humidifier and temp controller. Easiest book buy ever.

I quite like "Smokin with Myron Mixon". Although Meathead's and Chris Lily's are my two regular goto books.

Comment

My go to BBQ books are Franklin's BBQ, Big Bob Gibson's (Chris Lilly) and Meathead's. I like Myron Mixon and Steve Raichlen as well. I learned an amazing amount of the art of the fire from Aaron Franklin's book. Stuff that Chris Lilly and Meathead don't teach you in their books.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I learned a lot from Raichlen. Then I unlearned a lot of it with Meathead. I'm conflicted.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, me too ... but I like Raichlen's rubs and his recipes, generally. So, I just Meathead-ize them where appropriate.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. Removing salt from Raichlen rubs has been a revelation.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here