Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a Kindle version of "Fire and Smoke?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy a Kindle version of "Fire and Smoke?"

I'm planning on getting a copy of Chris Lilly's "Fire and Smoke," and I was wondering if anybody has bought the Amazon Kindle version of it. Should I get the digital book, or shell out a few bucks more for the large paperback version? I'm not so much interested in the pictures, I just want to know if the Kindle format is more trouble than it's worth.

I've had a Kindle since day one and I rarely read actual books anymore, I'd guess that 90% of my reading is done on my Kindle. I just downloaded a sample of Chris's book and it's very good on the Kindle. The pictures are clear, the text isn't jumbled, it looks like it was formatted very well for us "screen readers".

If you prefer reading on a tablet versus an actual book I'd say that this one won't disappoint you. Try the free sample, it's fairly generous in its length, maybe 30 pages (screens) or so.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
      DJ DeSpain commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't think about looking to see if there was a Kindle sample, ribeyeguy. Like you, I've been a long time Kindle user since the first Fire version. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have it on the iPad alone with more BBQ books.

Comment

I have kindles, iPads, iPhones, macs, and pc's ... and still choose paper over digital for cookbooks.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Since I had my cataract surgery, reading on paper is difficult for me. I have trouble getting the right distance to the page, and in low light I have trouble picking out the words. with an e-reader I can adjust the brightness and font size.

I always look forward to nestling in a chair & reading a book. That is something that you can do with Lilly's book, being more than a recipe book. Plus I get to leave my little scrap paper book marks in to many spots of things I want to try that many I will never get around to.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you noticed that cookbooks are becoming less and less like instruction manuals, or textbooks, and more and more like memoirs, or collections of essays?

I say it's all for the better.

DJ DeSpain - I'm 60+ years old and these new tangled readers are a PITA to me. Give me an old fashioned book any day. I've got a Kindle, an iPad, etc. and when it comes down to it, I'll take the printed page every single time.

I wish you well. Irrespective of the medium, Fire and Smoke is a fine read. Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I decided to go with the Kindle version more for the ability to have a digital version I can access on my smartphone via the Kindle app to be able to call up the ingredients when I am at a grocery store.

Pre-Kindle 2013, I was relying heavily on library books for my fiction as a) I was unemployed at the time, and b) starting to run out of room for books as me and my wife have 5 book shelves, plus numerous books stored in boxes in the garage. All of which we can't bear to part with to pick up and read again since neither of us have the intention of buying digital copies to replace them.

Since buying a Kindle, and me buying my wife one as a birthday gift, we have not bought a non-digital book, except for the occasional signed editions of favorite authors, or cookbooks I've bought since 2013 before Fire and Smoke. I've also bought an Amazon digital copy of "Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto," but from the reviews I read prior to the purchase, I considered it more of his personal autobiography and philosophy behind barbecuing rather than a cookbook.

In an case, I've already bookmarked in my Kindle what to buy next from the grocery store next time I'm ready to try out one of Chris Lilly's recipes!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here