Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Symon's Playing with Fire: BBQ and More from the Grill, Smoker, and Fireplace: A Cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Symon's Playing with Fire: BBQ and More from the Grill, Smoker, and Fireplace: A Cookbook

I received a promo via Amazon for this at $1.99 on Kindle. Anyone have/see this? Yeah it's only $1.99 but is it worth the effort? Reviews are good but your input means more. TIA.

I have his book, Carnivore. I refer to it often! If this is as good as Carnivore, then it’s worth it, imho.

Comment

RichieB and SheilaAnn
      FWIW - when we look at ANYTHING on Amazon we look at reviews first - hover over the stars and (for us) if the 4 and 5 star reviews hit upper 80 to low 90% and 1 stars are single digits we feel like it's a winner. This paradigm is, obviously, more valuable with hundreds and/or thousands of reviews. The book you mentioned has 1,307 reviews: 94% are 4 and 5 star ... only 1% is 1 star! (Those are astounding numbers based on our experience!)
      Also, a Kindle book can be 'previewed' ... on the far right is a hotlink "Send a sample" which does just that, the first however many pages are delivered to your kindle device FREE!
      This book, with it's GREAT reviews, only $1.99 is now in my Kindle Library ... will give a review in the next minute or three
      Lastly, as a born & raised Pittsburghian I had to swallow a little bit o pride when the Author's bio (and Restaurant) are Cleveland.

Peace,
      Nunyaz

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I spent my first 30 years or so in Pittsburgh, grew up in Pleasant Hills then lived in Oakland for a while. You?

• nunyaz
        nunyaz commented
        Editing a comment
        About 30 miles NW in the Beaver Valley (no puns, please ) ... my dad is a Beaver Falls HS alum and his younger sister graduated with Joe Namath. (ya gotta lay claim to fame where ya can get it 😂)

Thanks for the input. After my 3rd glass of wine I downloaded it. Now how do I explain spending $1.99 and free shipping to my wife. Have I have opened it yet, nope but I will when I have free time.

Comment

The other thing to consider is what the H else can ya get fer 2 bucks?

Comment

• nunyaz
          nunyaz commented
          Editing a comment
          ya can git a whiff of the coffee at Starbucks AND keep the 2 bucks 😂

Thanks I just downloaded the book.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Clawbear57 is it the whole book or just a preview?

• Clawbear57
          Clawbear57 commented
          Editing a comment
          It is the 1.99 download. I haven't had time to check it out.

I dropped the $2. I figure I’ll get at least that much enjoyment from reading it, and maybe I’ll even get a couple ideas.

Comment

Well when I went to Amazon, I found that I had a $2. So the book cost me nothing!

Comment

Kindle version now $5.99, may still pull the trigger and purchase it.

Comment

Perhaps someday I will get past needing a physical copy of a book instead of an e copy...
              today is not that day.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto for me.

There are a couple interesting sauces, and an interesting method, fireplace cooking, which if I decided to try I would be banished from the house.

Comment

I'll admit that I barely know who Michael Symon is, but I strongly dislike him simply for the fact that his restaurant Bar Symon at PHL completely ignored me at the bar for 20+ minutes on two separate occasions. I won't try again.
                Sure, that's probably unfair, but I'm gonna stick to it.

Just checked the google reviews, it's apparently not just me.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In defense of the Chef, blame goes to management. Poor training, no accountability, crappy employees. I seriously doubt MS is even on sight on a regular basis. And if so, he’s probably focused on the kitchen, not the bar, ya know?

But I know how you feel gboss 🤦🏼‍♀️🥂

My impression is that Symon is an outstanding chef. He clearly likes BBQ but I have never seen him cook it. His show Burgers, Brew, and ‘Que is good mainly because of the restaurants but I don’t think he adds much personality wise unlike Guy, who is clearly adding a huge amount to DDD.

Net net, the chef talent and recipes should make the book excellent.

However, I don’t know if he views BBQ and smoking as a passion like we do and considers it more of a favorite food that he enjoys eating. I am aware he owns a BBQ restaurant https://www.mabelsbbqvegas.com but I am certain he is not cooking it in every night.

Further proof: his brisket recipe is done with red wine and in the oven. That is a bit rough.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...risket-2103334

He is always struck me as a bit of a strange chef within the BBQ chef celebrity circuit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here