Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin's BBQ book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's really an autobiography of sorts. I wish I could get an audio recording of Morgan Freeman reading it. I'd play it every night to fall asleep to.

Comment

I bought and read the book from cover to cover and it was hard to put it down sometimes during the read (unfortunately other things needed attention also so I had to). I thought it was a very good read with a lot of insight on what goes on when trying to learn this craft that usually starts off as a hobby of sorts for most of us with the ending being that he is a successful pitmaster with a successful business that worked very hard to get where he is now. My hat is off to him and what he has accomplished! I don't have those kind of aspirations, all I want to do is learn this craft good enough to cook some tasty food for my family and friends.

Comment

I bought Aaron's book & read through it at least 3 or 4 times before loaning it to a friend to read. I thought I was going to have to go through total withdrawal before getting it back. I get "recipes" from lots of sources (many/most from AR) but re-assurance and confidence I get from Aaron. He says nothing about lamb in his book yet my (modified) COS just went to 285 with a wind change while doing a lamb shoulder & I don't care... It will be OK.

Comment

I absolutely LOVED reading this book. His story of discovery into the BBQ and Friendmaking vortex as right up my alley. You can definitely see how his attention to detail in cooking his food on his pits had given him a body of BBQ wisdom that allows him the glorious flexibility that the previous comments have celebrated. You don't get that flexibility without a huge reservoir of wisdom and experience, again, cooking his food on his pits.

The dude reminds me of Meathead, a tremendous Ambassador for our BBQ Hobby, one expanding our borders and honoring our heritage all at the same time.

Which reminds me, I loaned out my copy a few months ago...I need to get it back or get another copy for Christmas!

Comment

I agree with the OP. I personally loved reading it (read it from cover to cover in one day). Sure, there may not be any precise formula for perfect cue' but some general guidelines are nice to start out with. Reading Aaron's literature also gave me insight into Aaron's thought process, and that to me has been the most valuable.

Comment

Mosca ...

My favorite John Wooden quote is... He who fails to plan ahead is planning to fail.

As far as time and techniques? I'm old school. BBQ is low and slow. I read many post on AR about how to speed up the process. I know how to turn a 16 hour brisket cook into a 10/12 hour cook if I absolutely have to but if that occurs I know I have failed to plan ahead.

I'm retired and don't bother wearing a watch anymore. I have lots of time to plan ahead and I have a good faux cambro.😎

I've got a large BGE and a very reliable temperature controller. I NEVER BBQ big clods of meat above 225° and I NEVER wrap my meat. I NEVER get in a hurry when BBQing.😎

Comment

Breadhead how do you keep your meat from drying out especially a brisket without wraping?

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  vandy ...

I smoked on a ceramic kamado smoker... A Big Green Egg.😎

There is more than 1 way to take a shower??

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here