Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's baaaaack (Iron Chef)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's baaaaack (Iron Chef)...

Iron Chef, on Netflix. Had no idea this was happening, just saw it when I fired up Netflix.

I will need to check this out!

Comment

Alton and Kristen are terrific. We enjoy everything they do

But early reviews of this version of Iron Chef in general have not been overly favorable when compared to earlier versions. The reviews don't say that the show itself is bad, but perhaps it doesn't differentiate itself enough from what else is available in the genre.

Comment

It's crazy to think this show, or at least the concept and name of this show, have been in the world's consciousness for a quarter-century.

Variety (the Hollywood trade publication) has a really good article on the new show and its changes to the format that are intended to make it fresh and new: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/alt...rk-1235295792/

Alton says this is the biggest difference: "The No. 1 difference is that there’s not a commercial break every four minutes, and that changes the storytelling a great deal. It allows for more nuanced storytelling, so that’s a huge game changer. I think it’s going to open up a big dimension of of the of what the real value of the series is. The second one is that because it’s streaming, people can binge the whole thing and that allows us story arcs that are longer than just one episode. From a storytelling standpoint, it’s just radically different."

I also noticed Ming Tsai is on it. I always enjoyed his East Meets West show back in the mid-2000s.

Comment

as a chef vs chef competition, we've REALLY enjoyed Tournament of Champions on food network - in part due to the double-blind judging and the ever-entertaining Wheel Of Impending Doom that the chefs really can't prepare much for.

it's also interesting to see the different chef matchup variations on TOC instead of watching another "iron chef" Curtis Stone infomercial (his HSN/QVC presentations are laughable)

Comment

Does this have the token cliffhanger scene before each commercial break with the crescendo music and all to add fake suspense? I am not a fan of that format, which nearly every show of that type employs.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Most Netflix if not all shows currently are ad-free which is nice. But there's typically a brief pause where there would be a commercial, complete with said cliffhanger effects.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              I've not watched yet but this isn't a show made for network TV then bought by Netflix, it's a netflix original so I'd bet there are no breaks. But I'll let you know since I plan to watch one this weekend.

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched the first three episodes today. There are no commercial breaks.

Thanks for the heads-up. I saw the first episode last night. Hereford's dishes (except for the Walking Taco) seemed way fun. I'd eat that.

Every reincarnation of this show pales in comparison to the original--however, this isn't bad, it's just that the original was superb. Even the dubbed versions of the original (available on Youtube) aren't as good as the original Japanese language version.

Comment

It looks like it is slated for eight episodes, with the possibility of a renewal.

If you go searching for the original Iron Chef episodes on YouTube, you'll find some....but they often will seem very quiet and you'll realize that most of the background music has been removed. I didn't know this until recently, but the original Iron Chef theme and music were from the film Backdraft and sometime in the mid 2000s, the rights to use it expired, and many of the YouTube videos are recorded for the re-airings that didn't have the music.

(The intro is especially eerie....Chairman Kaga walks out in utter silence.)

Comment

(hopefully it'll start at the 2:40 mark or so)

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                  Michael_in_TX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "What inspiration will today's challenger bring? And how will the Iron Chef fight back? The heat will be on!"

Huskee Watched the first one. No breaks or anything. At least this first ep was 45 minutes so pretty much the run time of a regular one hour show with the commercials taken out. Format is basically the same as the previous Iron Chef America series - head to head battle with (again for this one at least) 5 dishes using a secret ingredient.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here