Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High On The Hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High On The Hog

I’ve crushing hard on this series! It’s on Netflix. It’s the history of the influence of African American cuisine on America. It is really good.

did I mention I’m the VP of my culinary historians club? Am I allowed to link to it?

Watched it too, great show. Can you pm me the link. Sounds interesting.

Comment

I believe I found your club, based on the location in your profile. If so, what a great club. The members only events look like they must have been really good. I bookmarked it when I found the archive of zoom events. A great list of subjects. Watched the pizza history one. Reminded me of a TED talk.
      Last edited by Mark V; March 9, 2022, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! It was lots of fun. We would have speakers every 2nd Saturday in the Taper Auditorium at the Grand Central Library in downtown LA. A little reception afterwards and then the board would take the speaker to Chinatown for dim sum. Until we can get back in, it’s all virtual.

I read the book a couple of years ago when it came out. Enjoyed it immensely.

Comment

I watched the series too. I thought it was excellent.

Comment

The best news that I heard is that it has been renewed for a second season. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw that when I went to watch last night. I will try to confirm.

SheilaAnn Thank you for this suggestion. I just watched the first episode and I am transfixed. "Gumbo" means "okra" in French?!? Wow. There is so much that I do not know and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Comment

I just finished the book while on vacation. I bought it expecting to learn more about the history of brisket but instead was treated to an excellent discussion of black slavery in the U.S. and its relationship to foods like fried chicken and pork. I liked the idea of using cookbooks to illuminate the discussion of important black cooks and to provide deep historical context. Highly recommended.

I think it would pair well with Smokelore.

Smokelore is an excellent, very readable, and fascinating history of American BBQ culture. Meathead is mentioned twice. Once on pg 110 as mentioning that beer can chicken is a waste of good beer (and again in the source notes) and a second time in the appendix as a source for information on the Chicago BBQ history. The source

Comment

For some reason, the series fell off my radar. But I watched the last two episodes. So good! And now I am obsessed with the culinary historian Adrian e. Miller. Hopefully I can get him to speak at our club.

Buy a book, preorder the latest Soul Food Scholar release, or get in touch with Adrian for personalized speaking and consultation services!

Comment

If you do drunken redneck cuisine night, ill speak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here