Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on NY Times pay site for recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on NY Times pay site for recipes

I’ve resisted this for years but I’ve generally really liked the free recipes. Took the plunge. $40 for the year.

Anyone else use this site? Recommended recipes?

I use the site and have found a number of good recipes, articles and videos.

Comment

Almost all the recipes are good. NYT subscriber for decades until they made the section an add-on subscription. Canceled my subscription over it. Yes, I can hold a grudge.🙂 But look up the recipe for Goldsboro Potato Salad, simple but excellent. Just finished making a double batch this morning.

Comment

• KarchyBBQ
        KarchyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed! This is a good one!

I rarely utilize recipes that call for more than 0 ingredients I don't currently have in stock in the cupboard. And cooking for one.....

Comment

There are so many good resources on the net for recipes i cant see myself paying for one dedicated to just that.

Take here for instance, Panhead John is worth the price by himself
        Last edited by grantgallagher; December 28, 2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently John prefers to be called ‘Sugar Britches’ now.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          there is no way i am ever unreading that as sugar bit*hes

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Donw Either Sugar Britches..or Mr. Fancy Pants will do.

I usually run across some free samples every once in a while as a NYT subscriber. They are all excellent , but it’s hard to justify paying when so much is available for free or here. Plus, some recipes include really obscure stuff that don’t really make it feasible. However, if you really want some quality recipes across virtually all regions and styles of cooking , it’s probably a really good deal.

For example, Kenji’s latest stuff is behind the Cooking paywall.
        Last edited by STEbbq; December 28, 2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually want it for the obscure stuff. I made Moqueca from NYT site snd it was amazing and more authentic than most other recipes I found on line. It’s a a Brazilian seafood stew. That kind of stuff is what (I think) I’m paying for.

Damn, I hadn’t heard that about Kenji. That’s disappointing.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it is a pretty good value for more obscure/speciality stuff plus new Kenji material.

I am not really ready yet to be dropping lots of time and money finding weird ingredients just yet when I have a pretty long list of fun things already to do. But sounds like it might be a great deal for you.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          JCBBQ i love moqueca. been making it for years. its a vastly undersung dish

I've been a subscriber since they made it a separate subscription. I love it. The Rhode Island clam chowder recipe I posted here recently was originally from the NYT cooking section.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds great!

I would maybe pay for kenji content or the like because there is a lot of skill/techniques in there. I do not feel the need to pay for recipes, i mean half of cooking (outside of baking anyway) is taste and feel. Id much rather get a rough recipe and wing it with what i know.

Comment

I've paid for a subscription for quite sometime now so yes, I find a lot of value in it. Most, if not all of the Cooking stuff can be found on https://archive.org, otherwise known as the Wayback Machine. I'd still recommend paying for a sub though.

Comment

$40 ! Fer a newspaper! Fer recipes? Different strokes fer different folks. If ya like it, good fer you.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              11 cents a day.

I subscribe and like the recipes they are always good.

Comment

Decades long NYT subscriber who was a bit peeved when they moved most of the cooking section behind a separate paywall. Resisted buying into the cooking section for a year but finally gave in as I missed it too much.

Recipes that I want to save tho I'll load into my recipe software app (Paprika) rather than just relying on the NYT Cooking section recipe box in case I change my mind and quit paying - I won't also lose my saved recipes.

Comment

I'm with grantgallagher - recipes are all over the web plus the books I have. Finding a recipe for something isn't the problem. Hell, if I want a recipe for something I usually don't have to go farther than a quick search of Serious Eats.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here