Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steven Raichlen, something possitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Raichlen, something possitive

Well, I actually watched a whole show of Steven Raichlen's on ribs. In making Baby Back ribs sandwich he braised the ribs with beer.
    Guess which beer? PBR

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL

Shazam, Shazam, Shazam! PBR on Wibs! Golly, goona have ta try it.

Comment

Who’d a thunk it ???

Comment

If'n they gits any kinda beer, at all (typically, nope...), mine'd git some Guinness Extry Stout, reckon on accounta I'm not insightful nuff to keeps me some PBR, round th house, fer cookin purposes...

Mebbe I will do so, if / when I Grow Up. LOL

Time Will tell...

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
          Well, I actually watched a whole show of Steven Raichlen's on ribs. In making Baby Back ribs sandwich he braised the ribs with beer.
          Guess which beer? PBR
          I mean, he could have just used water....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, PBR's a Great Way to infuse a Majour Layer of Flavour into th whole Shebang...

Always great, to learn New Stuff...

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            PBR has flavor??

He musta been out of Coors Light.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Must have been, Good Things comes to those who wait. Ribs TOO!

🤯👌🙌

Comment

Meathead Does braising count as boiling?

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Technically, no. Braising is done at lower temp, simmer (190F) or around that. The impact on muscle fibers is less than boiling (212F). Often meat is only partially submerged when braising, like an iceberg, with a little above the surface.

Nope, not going to happen! On the scale from 1 to BEER: PBR =2, Coors Light =2, Bud =2… you get the idea. I did not watch the video but I have braised lots-o-ribs in beer. Beer is also included in my stews and chilis. Now, I aint’ never writ no cookbook, nor am I is smart enough to do so…my hat has now been tipped... But if I am cooking with beer, I am looking for flavor. A Belgian, a stout, a double bock or an IPA for me in the kitchen it is, sir. That being said, sipping 2’s on a hot summer day I have no problem with that…. Haha! Maybe I should watch the show now.....

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Depending on the cook, you might want to drink the good beer and cook with the cheap stuff.

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack Valid point. I may have to rethink this...

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              DTro does that mean you will raise PBR's rating higher than 2,
              Taste, mouthfeel, I give it 7-8, price kicks it up to 10 on the 1 to 10 scale. 😁
              Last edited by bbqLuv; December 15, 2021, 08:39 AM.

BBQLuvinCanuck I may have to concede on price alone...

Comment

Hmm...well, PBR has made me soft over the years. Especially in the midsection...around the ribs...he might be on to something.

Comment

I know that Steven Raichlen catches some flak around here, but personally I like the guy. He has done a lot for the hobby, and I appreciate that his show is available on PBS television. I have a couple of his books and the recipe are generally solid, even if he doesn't have the same approach as Meathead and AR. Plus if you're going to waste beer by braising why not waste PBR?

Let's not forget that he is in the same BBQ Hall of Fame as Meathead!

Comment

• DTro
                  DTro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Raichlen's BBQ bible (How to Grill) inspired me to grill past hotdogs and hamburgers and to experiment with my own rubs, sauces, and recipes. It was gifted to me almost 20 years ago. I have attempted many recipes in the book and all have been solid. Though it is is falling apart, I still use it today.
                  Last edited by DTro; December 16, 2021, 09:01 AM.

I’ll excuse Mr. Raichlen this time for his questionable judgment. 😊

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here