Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern Spaghetti...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Spaghetti...

Hope this landed in th right place; please, feel free to move, if needed...

One way round th Maypole, certainly NOT suggestin that this here is Th Best One, LOL@
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 19, 2021, 04:46 PM.

I use my paternal Grandmother's spaghetti although I don't know how much my mother changed it. My Grandmother was born, raised, and died in MS, And she was born around 1880. The only thing she put in it that wasn't "Italian" was chili powder.
    I didn't like "real spaghetti" until I was an adult.

Comment

Our southern spaghetti was Chef Boyardee from a can. Didn’t know there was any other kind until I was a teenager.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        At least I was never subjected to Th Chef's Offerin, on accounta they costed money...we'uns had dried Generic Busketti noodles, canned maters from th root cellar, often onion an bell peppers to grace it, sometimes some rosemary, basil to Eye Tye it all up, Some, Kinda Proper, Like... Table Meat of th day was included, most often...
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 19, 2021, 08:07 PM.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing like Chef boy o boy to make you hate Italian cooking.

my southern spaghetti has more tomatoes, more pasta, hot Italian sausage, garlic, (no bacon ) and not casseroled, just had some, big on my face!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Baselessly ASSumin yer gonna post us all up yer receipt?

This recipe looks similar to one my mom called Goulash. It was a stew-like dish but there were no mushrooms or peas.

Our family spaghetti sauce recipe allegedly originated from a Southern Living recipe decades ago but has evolved over time - quite a bit by me (I leave the Worcestershire sauce out as well as other changes/additions). It never had peas, mushrooms, or kidney beans.
      Last edited by 58limited; October 19, 2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        My Ma's Goulash always had Lima beans,elbow mac, an other inclusions.... It was a Family Favourite...

I would put it in my Traeger to give it a kiss of smoke.

Comment

I wouldn’t bother, if I’m making anything like this I would use different ingredients. I do enjoy Glen and Friends, and I like that he and Julie report both the hits and the misses.

Comment

While I would not make this, I liked the historical perspective he brings. For example, most folks do not know that tomatoes in recipes originated in the "New World", not Europe. I also enjoyed the pictures of the handwritten recipe pages. We have 3 small binders that have a number of these handed down from my mom and Syd's mom. Lots of little stains on them.

Comment

Forget the spaghetti for the moment, did you see that guy's dry aging locker ???? OMG to die for !!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              That did look pretty incredible.

Yeah, that is one of those dishes that gets people all frothy on what is right, or wrong, classic or not. I knew that tomatoes were not part of the traditional culture, I did not know they would have thought it to be poisonous though. That is interesting. I just purchased myself another 2 cases of san marzanos. Which I likely go through very quickly. Now I want to make some red sauce. Something about an 8 hour reduction on hand crushed san marzanos and cool weather is just magical, especially how the house smells. I have gone from never hearing of a san marzano until a few years ago to now going through 6 plus cases of them a year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	796B9462-5261-45C6-BE82-5382E6F784D9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	677.1 KB ID:	1112871
            Click image for larger version  Name:	222DBD38-60DB-4E55-AA40-4306DDB6F625.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	360.6 KB ID:	1112869
            Click image for larger version  Name:	260938B4-AB49-43AE-B8BD-CBC422A28ADB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	413.4 KB ID:	1112870
            Click image for larger version  Name:	2E2395E1-D705-4ACA-9C31-BE5D038E7A13.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	1112872
            Click image for larger version  Name:	41CB1043-0127-408C-8447-075885BADE88.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	6.48 MB ID:	1112873
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 20, 2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones I’m 5 hours in on a red sauce, house smells amazing..

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Molto bene, Paisano

Where ya sourcin yer San Marzanos?

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones. I have found equal deals between Amazon and Walmart .com I use the Cento certified DOP brand of peeled whole.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here