Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fox News' Take On "BBQ The Way It Was Meant To Be", Pulled Pork Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox News' Take On "BBQ The Way It Was Meant To Be", Pulled Pork Recipe

Recipe from Debi Morgan, of the Southern food blog 'Quiche My Grits', shared on Fox News: https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/s...ork-bbq-recipe

I thought you'd all get a kick out of how they describe it as "BBQ the way it was meant to be".

Yum. Pass the ketchup, please …

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ketchup the other BBQ sauce.

Such a shame folks try to pass such nonsense off as bbq. Criminal!!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Stop talking that way about Huskee,

I mean, I wouldn't refuse it if I were at my parent's and they made this, it's probably tasty. But I also don't call McD's cheeseburgers, as much as I might like them, 'burgers the way they were meant to be.' At some point even a dummy has to be realistic.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Preach!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto Mr. Bones

Liquid smoke, no brining, roasting at 350, the super short cook time, the use of burger, steak and jerk seasoning….the Dutch oven….

🤮
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 25, 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      What a recipe, what a culinary mind she has....

"The "Southern Pulled Pork BBQ" recipe just requires a Dutch oven, pork butt and a homemade barbecue rub. Of course, you also have to choose a barbecue sauce to serve with it. (Courtesy of Quiche My Grits)"

well, what can you expect from someone whose site is "Quiche My Grits"

Comment

It might not be barbecue, but it’s going to taste really good. It’s freakin’ slow cooked pork. Not much to go wrong here.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        true, I think what rankles is the 'this is the way it's supposed to be' rather than "this is an easy way to make pulled pork that is like BBQed". Even Kenji has a recipe like this and it makes sense for people who don't have a smoker and maybe can't (condo or apartment dwellers for example)

That and the 'steak/burger/jerk seasoning' rather than just making a simple rub is kind of... meh
        Last edited by rickgregory; September 25, 2021, 09:19 PM.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I’ve made this in the dead of winter, and I’ve been very pleased with it.

I think she’s giving people permission to not be fussy. And that’s okay. It won’t be GREAT, but everyone will like it.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Fully agree, as well; I can make me up some pulled pork, make ya wanna gnaw yer fingers off, down to yer third knuckles, indoors...ain't No Thing...

But...I ain't gonna claim it's no BBQ. Jus Me...

Well, she acknowledges that the traditional way to do it is to smoke it for 12 hours but most people don’t have an ‘expensive’ smoker so this is her alternative using stuff we would have around the house…

But she calls this a really good rub and can’t be bothered to make her own sauce either.

Oh man this is bad.

Comment

So, I think we're being a little unfair. While the rub is a little... no, just no, the post that Fox piece excerpted is actually pretty decent https://quichemygrits.com/southern-p...ng-the-dry-rub

FWIW, here's Kenji's take on oven pulled pork - https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-ove...ed-pork-recipe

But it's way more complex and honestly, if I were doing this, I'd move more toward her approach of a rub, some liquid smoke and liquid and a good sauce on the side. I mean, I might even forgo smoke and simply roast it, getting some smoke via hickory powder and smoked paprika.
        Last edited by rickgregory; September 25, 2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          You are way too reasonable, what fun is that? 😛

"2 tablespoon. liquid smoke"

Technically, that's BBQ. Right?

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I use liquid smoke in my beef jerky brine ….

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          But, you have to boil it first, amirite?

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Ticks alla th boxes, so: yup.

rickgregory this is a perfectly reasonable indoor recipe that manages to avoid all of the terrible ideas

The Easiest and Most Delicious Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe is an all-in-one tasty dish you would fall in love with. For best results, let the cooked pork to rest for about an hour before serving.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Slow cookers are the spawn of the devil.

But really, is that recipe that much better? It just says 'use your fave rub' which is fine... but kinda vague.

The more I think about it, the more I think the whole slow cooker/dutch oven thing is the wrong approach. When we smoke a butt, we don't braise it in the cooker. It's done on the grill. Why not do the same in the oven, over a sheet pan, on a wire rack?

Pulled pork ain't rocket science, though
          Last edited by rickgregory; September 25, 2021, 09:36 PM.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory

I generally do mine in a pan, on a rack...in th smoker.

Works jus fine fer me, as many pics on this site will verify...

Try it out, see what ya think, Amigo...

Also avoids that whole grease thing, in my cooker...

Click image for larger version

Name:	flo.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1100531

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Way to go Flo, don't you know.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Where did you get that picture of my wife.
          You been snooping around my house?

Would you say liquid smoke is a moot point if you're using a storebought BBQ sauce at the end? To most folks, storebought BBQ sauce is the red sweet smokey stuff.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          What if they are using Kraft BBQ sauce?!

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          And sweet baby ray's

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, I'd go ahead on, use me th liquid smoke ti infuse th pork...
          Sauce only coats th outside. I want th pork to have smoke flavour, afore it ever meets any sauce...

The News....what is that??

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          .410!
          Ain't had it on in 20+ yrs, Brother...happier...

I DO stay aware of current an relevant events, via reliable / unbiased sources.
          If i needed somebody to interpret Th Truth, or Facts fer me, why, reckon I woulda/coulda/shoulda done hired me one.

Honestly, this is a pretty classic thing you see on a ton of food blogs. They aren’t trying to be "authentic" or "real" …. Instead, they are trying to provide something that people can easily do at home, without a ton of special equipment or knowledge. And get fairly close in flavor profile.

Now, personally I think this is a cop out, but that’s because I spent a lot of years figuring out how to actually cook in the traditional ways. And it’s not actually that hard, other than the time investment.

But our culture is now oriented around easy, fast, and sorta good enough. Very different from what my father taught me: "If thing is worth doing, it’s worth taking the time and doing the thing right."

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          My point wasn't so much the recipe itself, we've probaly all had crock pot pork and it's tasty; but calling it "barbecue the way it was meant to be" absolutely IS trying to be authentic, at least in its claims.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          And this is the only way to do pulled pork if you live in an apartment, condo or if you don't smoke enough to get a smoker.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee the title is horrible. But it is also click bait to get more visitors to the blog.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here