Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Oldest Restaurant In Every State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Oldest Restaurant In Every State

Anyone been to any of these?

Cool group of old restaurants. Been to 3 of them; Scholz Beer Garten in Austin, Tx., The Cattlemen's in Ok City and Antoine's in New Orleans. Love to rent a camper and try to go to all of them, now there's a bucket list worth pursuing !!!!!

Comment

I have been to the Red Circle Inn in my home state of Wisconsin many times. Only about 25 min from me. Been a while but it has always beed terrific in times past.

Also the Buckhorn Exchange in Colorado once. It was very good as I recall. But that was nearly 20 years ago so 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Had no clue before but I’ve eaten at 4 on the list, Maryland, Florida, South Dakota, and Hawaii.

Comment

I've been to The Old Talbott Tavern in Bardstown KY and Cattleman's Steakhouse in OKC. Neither was anything special, but I may or may not have had an encounter with a ghost at The Old Talbott Tavern.

Comment

I've been to

The Buckhorn Exchange in Colorado, I don't recall it being amazing, but it was good.
            Cattlemens in Oklahoma, same as above

Not on this list because it's in the UK
            Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, which claims to be the oldest pub in the UK (established in 1189) and one of the oldest in the world. Good beer, I don't remember if we had food... there was lots of good beer. And the old cellars are caves carved into the face of the "mountain". It's a fun little trip, and there's lots of stuff to do in Nottingham anyway.

Comment

The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver and Antoine's in New Orleans ... both MANY years ago ... and both very good.

Comment

No, looks like a field trip I would like to take.

Comment

I question their research...I'm pretty sure Carolina Coffee Shop is not the oldest restaurant in NC, and I know a lot of places there are differing opinions as to the oldest.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                    Dan Deter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Shorty's Famous Hot Dogs in Wake Forest beats CCS by 6 years, and that isn't even looking into the real historic towns in the state.

• Eric2662
                    Eric2662 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I just looked around a bit, looks like you may be right. Has Shorty's been in the same location since the beginning? Maybe they are talking about restaurants that have maintained their original building. More than likely though I would bet its probably just lackluster research on the part of the writer.

• Dan Deter
                    Dan Deter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As far as I've ever known (and what I read when confirming my memory) it has been in the same place. Although it was 1916, so ???

A nice place if you can find it

Comment

I didn't realize I had been to eight of them. My favorites are Legends Steakhouse in Deadwood, SD and El Farol in Santa Fe.
                    Buckhorn, Exchange, Antoines, and Weidmann's are over-rated and resting on long reputations.

Comment

The only one I've been to is Union Oyster House in Boston, MA. It was less than wonderful.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        sometimes all you need is a name to make money and be famous

• barelfly
                        barelfly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’ve been to the UOH a few times. The bar on the main level was fun, ate a bunch of oysters. Thought the food was decent.

I also got to sit in JFK’s booth

Originally posted by Draznnl View Post
                      The only one I've been to is Union Oyster House in Boston, MA. It was less than wonderful.
                      Same here. I was there a few weeks ago on a family trip. It was decent but mostly for the ambiance.

Comment

I have been to Jessop's Tavern & Colonial Restaurant in Delaware. Great food and a good selection of beverages. It is still set up like an old colonial pub.

Ron

Comment

The Bluebird in Logan, UT. Hard to imagine that it was the oldest in Utah.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here