Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam The Cooking Guy Air Fries his Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam The Cooking Guy Air Fries his Steaks

I’ve been watching a lot of STCG and last week he did an Air Fryer episode that was pretty interesting. I hate to admit it, but the steak he cooked actually looked great and I’ll probably try it sometime this winter when it’s nasty out.

I am also a fan of Sam. Not really gotten into the air fryer world, but I have learned alot from him.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve made a few of his things now, I really like his simple approach to things and how he shows a lot of the little details others skip.

glitchy you gotta test your MAK in cold weather... all those other smokers that need welding blankets in the cold yet claim supremacy need Glitchy to put 'em in their place

Seriously though, whatever puts out great results and best suits the situation is how I'm going.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I grill more in the winter than the summer actually, but when it gets to single digits and/or blizzards I sometimes cook indoors. I’m confident the MAK will chug right through like the USPS of old.

Fire up yur favorite cooker and set the air fryer next to the hot air exhaust on the cooker to add smoke.

Comment

Sam is the Man,,,,
      great cooking info and very entertaining,,

Comment

Let us know what you think. My parents have one and my dad loves his air-fried pork chops and shrimp.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I really haven’t used it for proteins yet. Mostly potatoes, pizza rolls, etc. It’s hard to decide I should air fry this piece of meat versus smoking or grilling it, but after that steak, I think I’m willing to try it. Definitely need to try the grilled cheese too.

I enjoyed this episode of Sam, watched a few days back...

Made me reconsider th versatilty of havin an air fryer...

Comment

I don't know about using it for steak but I did watch that episode with interest. I now have a convection oven with air fryer at the cabin I'm looking forward to putting it to use.

However, I am thinking of throwing some steak into my Blackstone Patio Oven tonight.

Comment

Too bad for his foul mouth. I prefer STCG keeps it family friendly.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I prefer the foul language.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack commented, "I prefer the foul language."

Well PBR, PBC, offset smoker, stick burner to you too! So there, take that.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              His vernacular is considered friendly, at least in My Family....

Words flow, only way to tell if any agitation is involved is if'n tones, emphasis, articulative gestures, an volume start to increase...

By then? :It's Sho Nuff ON!!!

Love Sam! We make a lot of his recipes. His carne asada is probably our fav. We just love how he simplifies things and tries to show people how easy it can be to cook better food at home without having to be complicated and fancy shmancy.

Comment

My wife is on me to get an air fryer. Several of our kids have them and swear by them.

I told her I had a tool (Vortex) coming that would make one of the grills (kettle) into an air fryer.... Somehow I feel we will end up with one at some point.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack the only issue with that Cuisinart is the sheer size. The reason we have the toaster oven we have is because it is so compact. I kinda like the Ninja ovens that flip up onto their back to take less counter space when not in use, but they are more than the Cuisinart.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris I had not seen the one that flips up before. I like that. I had been considering adding a shelf in the laundry room for appliances but now I have something else to consider.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven't had me a wife since 13OCT85, but I has me a feelin...if'n yer wife sez yall gonna git an air fryer, it's purty dang danged much gonna happen LOL!!!
                Leastwise, that'd purty much be my guess, Jim!

I must say the air fryer has me intrigued, but will have to wait until we have more counter space.

We like watching Sam, but I have a real difficult time grasping his idea of baking ribs in vinegar. Can't do it. Won't do it. Can't watch it. Won't watch it. I wish he would use his turquoise Blaze hanging out in the background more often.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, my kitchen is tiny, an I already have WAY TOO MUCH CARP!!!

I'd try Sam's ribs, but ain gonna cook mine in such a fashion...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 13, 2021, 02:07 PM.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Baking ribs in vinegar?!?!?!? 🤮

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Braisin in vinegar, technically... jfmorris

"Pork...Th Other Grey Meat! "

An air fryer is just a small chambered convection oven.

I think anything your air fryer can do, my OG Grilla can do better...

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, that is what I am hoping the Vortex will do for my kettle or kamado. But after watching that video, I may be getting an air fryer by winter, when I am dealing with it being dark at 4:30pm, and grilling becomes a weekend-only activity.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                My experience the indirect heat of a pellet grill gives air fryers an advantage for crisping. Plus they probably have more airflow too, but I don’t have an oven safe anemometer to confirm, well any anemometer for that matter.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                With the OG, you crack the lid a bit once it’s up to temp and you get a better convection effect.

But it convects reasonably well over 300 with the lid shut.

Also, the killer counter top app in air fryer land, is actually a convection toaster oven. Bigger chamber, so larger loads, same technique.

Watching this video tells me I will likely end up with an air fryer sooner rather than later. Almost certainly after the time change, when it will be dark before I get off work. While I work in a home office, I still try to not be cooking most days before 5pm. Maybe it will be my Christmas gift to myself! I am liking the look of the Ninja toaster oven combo air frier model 101 or 301 right now, after glitchy mentioned them.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Read up here:
                After testing dozens of air fryers over the years, we like the Philips 3000 Series Airfryer L HD9200/91, which crisps food quickly and costs less than $150.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack after reading a lot of the user reviews on the Ninja website for those oven style air fryers, the recurring comment in the reviews is that they are extremely hard to clean. If I read the reviews on the regular style Ninja air fryers, folks say how easy they are to clean. I think easy of cleaning will trump multi-function, and I may start with a more conventional air fryer that can be put away in a closet when not in use.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack that makes a lot of sense, and I myself have been telling my kids that all an air fryer was is a small convection oven.

That said, we don't have room for or need a convection oven on the counter top. I've got a microwave that doubles as a convection oven (Frigidaire Pro model), but have found that it takes an inordinate amount of time to preheat. We've used it as an oven only a handful of times in 4-5 years of having it.

Sam is entertaining and I must admit I've cooked a few of his concoctions. I'm going one better when I get my lazy arse around to it. I'm going to deep fry a steak, anyone ever try that?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s the most amazing way to finish a sous vide steak or burger.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Fondue back in the 70's...it was pretty tasty.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here