Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online BBQ recipe resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the links GolfGeezer. If I do this for the weekend I need to get to the butcher today so I can start a 48 hr or so sous vide bath. Also I'm thinking I should do a full smoke for the first time and sous vide after just to compare.

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    big_mack Here is the thread. Please read through the whole thing. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...w-%F0%9F%98%B3

I also had some questions after reading it and received some more insight on how folks approach this.

So, in a number of QVQ, SVQ posts, particularly for long SV cooking, folks drop the food into an ice bath after the SV portion. I guess I do not understand why. I mean, if you cook a brisket for 30+ hours at 155, why does it need a cooldown before smoking? There is no carryover cooking going on, so I'm not getting it. Not a

• rodkeary
    replied
    Delicious beef, pork, poultry and other recipes all made with products from SnS Grills!

Tested recipes from friends of "The Pit".

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    I haven’t, but there is recent post here on The Pit that did. I’m away from my pc where I saved the recipe and cook. It was in the last few weeks.

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    GolfGeezer next up will be my first beef brisket and I'm looking at Kenji's sous vide recipe. have you cooked that and if so how was it?

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    big_mack YES, SE tends to be organized more by techniques and methods versus straight up recipes.

• Murdy
    replied
    My favorite general recipe site is:

There is a grilling subsection, one of my favorites is Grilled Cjicken with South Carolina BBQ sauce (mustard based):

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipe...yle_bbq_sauce/.

They have some sauce recipes that are very good.
    Last edited by Murdy; July 29, 2021, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    In addition to here, I look at Jess Pryle’s and Malcom Reed’s sites when I’m looking for ideas:

The best smoking, grilling and meat-lovin' recipes using Hardcore Carnivore seasoning, including brisket, burnt ends, tri tip and more.

Meet Malcom I'm Malcom Reed and these are my recipes. I spend my life cooking – mostly slow-smoked barbecue. Every week I share a new recipe on my HowToBBQRight YouTube Channel. And I travel the country cooking in over 20 competition barbecue and World Steak Cookoff contests each year as Killer Hogs barbecue team. Shop with Malcom Get the HowToBBQRight ... Read More

I occasionally watch Raichlen’s show too, but sometimes get hung up on all the old wive’s tale crap he still propagandizes, like jfmorris suggested.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've found a lot of recipes I like over on heygrillhey.com - a lot of the recipes will call for seasoning blends she sells, but I just substitute MMD or something else, and have had good luck with anything I've tried from over there. I made a smoked baked beans and smoked Mac and cheese recipe from over there twice now, and it was a hit both times.

Another good place is barbecuebible.com, but knowing what I know now, while Raichlen has some great recipes, his directions are often lacking. I.e. cook to temperature of a piece of meat, not until it "presses firmly with the thumb" or some such nonsense.

For the most part though, I get my BBQ recipe inspiration here.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 29, 2021, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    I love serious eats GolfGeezer but have not used it for bbq recipes. I wasnt even aware there was much bbq on that site. I'm stoked to know this now.

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    Dude, in addition to the great input on how to use The Pit, I recommend using YouTube to do some recipe specific searches as a start. For example, search for "smoking a brisket". You will get TONS of videos/recipes, so it is a bit of like The Abyss. Also, many folks here in The Pit use serious-eats.com for recipes and techniques. Kenji's detailed and well documented research has guided many cooks.

Cooking, and BBQ and grilling, are a joy - pick your targets (butts, brisket, brats, pork, chicken, fish, veggies, etc.) and WATCH OUT for MCS!

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    big_mack I can’t believe you’re not already familiar with navigating the pit. You’ve been here almost a full day already! 😂 Kidding. It was 6 months before I learned how to post a video. You’re doing just fine!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I don't think there's a lot of specific bbq mainstream recipe sources out there like regular cooking cuisine. That's what makes us unique, it's all about preparing barbecue. That said you might try some websites like Steven Raichlen's at https://barbecuebible.com/

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    I was specific about not being specific! lol. sorry, that was meant to be funny. I just want to know about bbq online recipe sources. Not some specific recipe. and I'm just getting up to speed on navigating the pit forum so on a learning curve right now.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    No problem big_mack ! We get it. We try to have some good resources here for those not too familiar with forums. Try clicking Help in the far-left of the main red menu bar above. It has a lot of tutorials and FAQs that might help you as well.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here