Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possum Kingdom Lake Cookbook

Has anyone heard of this book and do you know anything about it?
    Last edited by gcdmd; July 25, 2021, 03:07 PM.

I have, but don’t know a thing about it.

Comment

Not previous, but looks like yall can view it, here:LINK

Comment

possum kingdom lake cookbook - Bing - Shopping
        There you go. all I know.

Comment

@Mr Bones bbqLuv LA Pork Butt Thank you for your replies.

I stumbled across a recipe purporting to be from that book and found that same link that Bones found a few days ago. I scrolled through it and found that it appears to be a longer than usual community cookbook. The recipes are generally ordinary, but I could not find a print version on line or anything about it's history. Some of the recipes also came with my MasterCook program, scattered about several different categories. Oh, well, maybe someone here will have some info.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I remember the MasterCook program is where I saw it.

Jus mutter "Possum", an some ol stump-jumpin, ridge-runnin, corn-fed, inbred, brain-dead, six-toed, banjo pickin Muhzurruh Hillbilly idjits are purt near bout garronsheed to come a runnin, Brother!!!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 26, 2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Course, it'd help yer gravel road cred, if'n ya were from Muhzurrah LOL

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, in college in Texas I rented a farmhouse on 65 acres. The directions literally went: when the asphalt turns left, turn right onto the gravel road (going straight - gravel - was a mobile home park), drive across the homemade cattle guard (4" X 6" timbers and scrap pipe) at the big oak tree, and 1/4 mile later you're at my house, built in 1946 from lumber taken from a building built in 1862. Does that count?
            Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2021, 07:25 PM.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            58limited Full Credit would be awarded if'n it was yer Ancestral Home, handbuilt by yer predecessors, but, based upon yer description, after conferrin with summa th other jedges, ah'm haveta call Close Enough, Howdy, an Welcome, Brother!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 25, 2021, 09:15 PM.

Reminds me of some of the old church cookbooks I've run across. Usually simple and wholesome food, but damn good! It would be interesting to find an old print version. You might see if there is a local craigslist for the Possum Kingdom area. I went there once as a kid, stayed at Camp Grady Spruce.

PS - I often buy old church and community cookbooks when I'm at resale shops. But, really, this is what Possum Kingdom reminds me of most:

Last edited by 58limited; July 25, 2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Beat me to it.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Fun Stuff!!! I enjoyed listenin....might be on accounta I'm a spaz, also a lifelong Strat Wielder, an fully embraced Punk upon its arrival, fer its ability to completely annihilate Disco offa tha mfin airwaves, Permanently!!!

They don't say it is and have no link to it but I wonder if it's from here https://pkwomensclub.wordpress.com/ as the seem to publish recipes regularly

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Good find. I'll look into it.

A cheap take off on Red Greens Possum Lodge cook book!!!!
          If there is one....I’m sure there is.... could be....I dunno....maybe

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some Red Green!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Can I git a Great Big Ol HAIL YEAH, fer RED GREEN ??
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 26, 2021, 12:34 AM.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I did look around, there is no official Red Green Possum Lodge cook book.
            He did publish a book of Wit and Wisdom.
            I'm sure the excerpts of him duct taping a pack of wieners to the exhaust and driving for three hours or the old jamming food beside the turbo recipe.
            Sad but true.

I went there regularly to fish before the pandemic. I’m planning to go again soon. It’s only about a hour from where I live. There’s a little cafe there that makes the best coconut cream pie. If she’s still there I’ll ask her about it.

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. What is the name of the café, in case I ever get up there? I love coconut cream pie.

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m just sure it was at Bass Hollow, but when I check online it shows all they have now is a store. I have messages out to the 2 friends who fished with me to be sure. Small businesses and my mind didn’t do well in the lockdown.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Oak Smoke, I feel ya, Brother; I don't rightly reckon th pandemic done none of our minds any kinda good...

It popped up on eBay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage Possum Kingdom Women's Club Community Cookbook.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1073103

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vintage Possum Kingdom Women's Club Community Cookbook Inside.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1073104

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Did ya snag it, Geo???

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones
            That's a big diez-cuatro, hermano mio.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ¡Ta bien!

My mother's copy of the Better Homes & Garden cookbook (red checkered cover) is old enough that it has recipes for possum and other varmints in it. The one my wife has, circa 1990, does not have some of the more interesting recipes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here