Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books on food culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on food culture

So, I am currently trending through preferring to learn about food as a culture, and also the various specialties of culture. Not just bbq, but definitely including bbq, also autobiographies of various chefs, cooks, bakers.. and their path with food being the vehicle. I would love to hear some recommendations. Thank you in advance.

Oh, thanks for this post. It reminds me that The Saffron Tales by Yasmin Khan has been sitting on my Kindle for a couple of years and I’ve been meaning to dive into it. It is said to provide a very good overview of Persian food culture along with a number of good recipes. There’s no time like the present to get started.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Showed this to my wife as she is interested in this area and she said order it! Arrives tomorrow!

I'd highly recommend anything by Micheal Pollan--especially The Omnivore's Dilemma. Incredible writing around the human connection to eating from a social scientist.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I love those, I should re-read those as well.

Anthony Bourdain's 'A Cooks Tour: Global Adventures in Extremes Cuisines' has been on my read list for a while. Bourdain actually has about 13 books. his earliest are fiction and later ones are graphic comics, but plenty on the cooking craft, as well. A Cooks Tour has been out for a while. i thumbed through a copy years ago and decided to read it but just haven't gotten around to it.

you could check this one out, too. my mom co-wrote it with a friend back in 1979! i'm the blond kid with a bowl cut on the back cover!

Comment

Richard Chrz now you are speaking my language. Let me think about this for a bit. I’m also on the board of a culinary historian club!

Comment

MFK Fisher of course.

Fuchsia Dunlop's Food Of Sichuan, though a cookbook, looks deeply into the context.

Comment

Appetite City - A Culinary History of New York by William Grimes

Pasta, Pane, Vino - Matt Goulding

Salt: A World History - Mark Kurlansky

Comment

It’s been a long time since I read these books but I remember enjoying them very much.

Comment

I can't believe I didnt think of this right off, but you MUST read Angelo Pellegrini's "The Unprejudiced Palate" and, well anything else he wrote.

Bio of him here: https://www.historylink.org/File/20559

Books - https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho...o_M_Pellegrini

Comment

I'm thinking a little more "local" on the subject Richard. Sometimes looking through a few "Church" or other "Fundraiser" type cookbooks can give a person some information and history of food and recipes from different food cultures. Much of the USA was only settled by our ancestors in the past couple hundred years, so those cookbooks contain lots of history. Many of those Settlers were pretty hard up so they learned to make do with what they had.

Comment

Rodney Scott of Scott's BBQ just published a book that is kind of an autobiography/cook book. I ran across it by mistake - it was just published on the 16th. It was pretty interesting. I finished the story part of it in a few days; going to try some of the recipes. I like his "motto": every day is a good day.

Comment

• JoeSousa
                    JoeSousa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have read the first half and am just starting on the recipes now. Awesome book. Sam Jones' whole hog book is a pretty similar format with the first half being more biographical and the second half being more recipes.

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I read this one, it’s really good.

Skip To your point:

Click image for larger version

Name:	F38E203A-90F6-4446-B467-1CF33E193661.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1008708
                  additionally, my Kindle library contains Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty and Smoke & Pickles by Edward Lee. Great reads!

Comment

Richard Chrz These are my others that I have enjoyed:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2CD38541-F4B6-4163-891E-7E4FE74B1E85.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	279.8 KB ID:	1008710
                    Last edited by SheilaAnn; March 25, 2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

If you can get your hands on them, read every issue of Lucky Peach. I have the entire set and haven’t finished them because I don’t want to tear the plastic off the last 4-5 ones. Especially the final issue!

Comment

Diana Kennedy, The Art of Mexican Cooking. And, of course, Marvin Harris' The Sacred Cow and the Abominable Pig. As a document of a place, time, and culture, MFK Fisher's How to Cook a Wolf. John McPhee originally intended Oranges as a magazine article but keep finding new stories to tell about them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here