Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books on food culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an excellent thread for those on vacation that need recommendations. I’d add High on the Hog and Smokelore.

I’ve crushing hard on this series! It’s on Netflix. It’s the history of the influence of African American cuisine on America. It is really good. did I mention I’m the VP of my culinary historians club? Am I allowed to link to it?

Smokelore is an excellent, very readable, and fascinating history of American BBQ culture. Meathead is mentioned twice. Once on pg 110 as mentioning that beer can chicken is a waste of good beer (and again in the source notes) and a second time in the appendix as a source for information on the Chicago BBQ history. The source

I also just bought "Salt: A World History" thanks to the above recommendation. It is very good so far a few pages in.

Does anyone else want to add some new recommendations?

Comment

"A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle. "A Table in Tuscany" by Leslie Forbes

Comment

Daniel Vaughn’s Prophets of Smoked Meat is excellent.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          And it is $1.99 on the Kindle. Score! 😃

Here are a couple I have enjoyed and learned from about cooking and bbq from African American culture.

Black Smoke; African Americans and the United States of Barbecue, by Adrian Miller.

The Cooking Gene; A Journey Through African American Cooking in the Old South, by Michael Twitty.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
          WillTravelForFood commented
          Editing a comment
          Black Smoke was just awarded a James Beard award, if that helps encourage its readership.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Texas Larry +1000 for Chef Twitty’s book!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve read both, both highly recommended.

Check out Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo: A Cookbook
        Some great looking recipes and beautiful artwork as well as a glimpse into the culture of the time.

Comment

Almost any book on Chinese cooking invokes history of the particular region you are dealing with. They seem to be as much on history as they are to do with the food. Ditto with Asian/Thai. I just picked up on on Kashmir, it also is loaded with cultural history. I do have a thing for Grace Young who has 3 books. She is a dear person, who lead me to the Wok Shop.

Comment

Follow-up: I'd recommend Salt: A World History.

There's zero discussion of BBQ, but it is a super-interesting and highly readable history of the development and uses of salt since ancient times. Lots of interesting details, and Mark is a skilled writer that keeps the story moving with compelling prose. A great vacation read.

Comment

This is another one that I am going to pick up. My ex's cousins husband was gullah - he passed away a couple years ago - and man could he cook.

Comment

I don’t know how I missed this, it’s one of my favorite topics.

Julia Child’s My Life In France. No explanation needed.

Calvin Trillin’s The Tummy Trilogy. This is his great set of books from the latter part of the 20th century: American Fried, Alice, Let’s Eat, and Third Helpings. It’s still amazing. His article written after Alice’s passing is great, and utterly heartbreaking.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trillin is responsible for the popularity of burnt ends. From Wiki, "Kansas City native Calvin Trillin is often credited with popularizing burnt ends. In a 1972 article he wrote for Playboy about Arthur Bryant's restaurant in Kansas City, he wrote: "The main course at Bryant's, as far as I'm concerned, is something that is given away free – the burned edges of the brisket."

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would you recommend his non-food work?

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  STEbbq IDK, never read anything else by him. I’m enjoying the one you linked to me!

Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table, by Ruth Raichl.

Blood, Bones, and Butter: the Education of a Reluctant Chef, by Gabrielle Hamilton.

Give a Girl a Knife, by Amy Thielen.

All three are excellent.
                Last edited by Mosca; June 24, 2022, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have liked everything I have read from Ruth Reichl

Mosca Well, "The Tummy Trilogy" dead-tree version is on its way as I couldn't resist after thinking about it for a few days. Thank you!

I did want to let you know that he published a later book of food essays in 2003 that is only $4.99 on the Kindle right now. I am reading it now, and it is excellent. Great way to pass the time until the trilogy arrives!

https://www.amazon.com/Feeding-Yen-S...dp/B004SOVBAC/
                Last edited by STEbbq; July 4, 2022, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I’ve always loved his writing.

Pomp and Sustenance: Twenty-Five Centuries of Sicilian Food
                Mary Taylor Smith

Popes, Peasants, and Shepards: Recipes and Lore from Rome and Lazio
                Oretta Zanini De Vita

Both available on Amazon

Comment

Dang this thread…. It is an enabler to a similar malady… MBS More Book Sysdrom

Comment

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well now, you gotta let us know what you got.

• SheilaAnn
                    SheilaAnn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The book on Sicily. Pomp and sustenance. Got it used for only $11.

Then I quickly closed Amazon.

pkadare and Spinaker have inspired me to do a banh mi (stay tuned). And I picked up a cookbook I haven’t cracked open in a long time. amazing read!

Click image for larger version

Name:	B6335575-F9F0-4A51-BBFD-BD74EE0402E1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1265637

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here