Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books on food culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve read both, both highly recommended.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I read this one, it’s really good.

• klflowers
    replied
    This is another one that I am going to pick up. My ex's cousins husband was gullah - he passed away a couple years ago - and man could he cook.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Follow-up: I'd recommend Salt: A World History.

There's zero discussion of BBQ, but it is a super-interesting and highly readable history of the development and uses of salt since ancient times. Lots of interesting details, and Mark is a skilled writer that keeps the story moving with compelling prose. A great vacation read.

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    commented on 's reply
    Texas Larry +1000 for Chef Twitty’s book!

• FireMan
    replied
    Almost any book on Chinese cooking invokes history of the particular region you are dealing with. They seem to be as much on history as they are to do with the food. Ditto with Asian/Thai. I just picked up on on Kashmir, it also is loaded with cultural history. I do have a thing for Grace Young who has 3 books. She is a dear person, who lead me to the Wok Shop.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    And it is $1.99 on the Kindle. Score! 😃

• WillTravelForFood
    commented on 's reply
    Black Smoke was just awarded a James Beard award, if that helps encourage its readership.

• Draznnl
    replied
    Check out Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo: A Cookbook
    Some great looking recipes and beautiful artwork as well as a glimpse into the culture of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Here are a couple I have enjoyed and learned from about cooking and bbq from African American culture.

Black Smoke; African Americans and the United States of Barbecue, by Adrian Miller.

The Cooking Gene; A Journey Through African American Cooking in the Old South, by Michael Twitty.

Leave a comment:

• Reds Fan 5
    replied
    Daniel Vaughn’s Prophets of Smoked Meat is excellent.

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    replied
    "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle. "A Table in Tuscany" by Leslie Forbes

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    This is an excellent thread for those on vacation that need recommendations. I’d add High on the Hog and Smokelore.

I’ve crushing hard on this series! It’s on Netflix. It’s the history of the influence of African American cuisine on America. It is really good. did I mention I’m the VP of my culinary historians club? Am I allowed to link to it?

Smokelore is an excellent, very readable, and fascinating history of American BBQ culture. Meathead is mentioned twice. Once on pg 110 as mentioning that beer can chicken is a waste of good beer (and again in the source notes) and a second time in the appendix as a source for information on the Chicago BBQ history. The source

I also just bought "Salt: A World History" thanks to the above recommendation. It is very good so far a few pages in.

Does anyone else want to add some new recommendations?

Leave a comment:

• RobertC
    replied
    Diana Kennedy, The Art of Mexican Cooking. And, of course, Marvin Harris' The Sacred Cow and the Abominable Pig. As a document of a place, time, and culture, MFK Fisher's How to Cook a Wolf. John McPhee originally intended Oranges as a magazine article but keep finding new stories to tell about them.

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    replied
    If you can get your hands on them, read every issue of Lucky Peach. I have the entire set and haven’t finished them because I don’t want to tear the plastic off the last 4-5 ones. Especially the final issue!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here