Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cajun Style Stuffed Bell Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cajun Style Stuffed Bell Peppers

A few years ago someone turned me on to this stuffed bell pepper recipe and I haven’t used ground beef in it since. As much as we all love ground beef, this recipe is much better tasting. It’s the best stuffed bell peppers I’ve ever done, and I think you’ll like it as well.

INGREDIENTS:
    6 whole green bell peppers (try to find large ones that will stand upright)
    1 lb of Cajun Style Boudin (I used DJ’s Rice Dressing, it’s their boudin without the casing)

1lb. of Spicy Ground Pork or Hot Italian Ground Sausage
    1 can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
    Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning or Slap Ya Mama
    1 Medium Size Can of Tomato Sauce
    Grated Cheese of your Choice. (I like Sharp Cheddar)

Directions:
    Brown the ground pork and reserve the juices. In a large bowl mix together the boudin, ground pork, Cream of Mushroom Soup and mix well. Add the Tony’s or your favorite Cajun Seasoning to taste. This makes enough for 5-6 whole bell peppers. Cut the tops off each bell pepper and clean out the veins. Stuff each bell pepper with the mixture and place in a greased baking dish. Take one medium can of tomato sauce and top each bell pepper with a tablespoon or so of tomato sauce. Pour remaining tomato sauce around the peppers in the dish. Add a little water to the pan also to prevent burning. Bake in a 350* oven for approximately one hour. Ten minutes before done, remove and top each pepper with grated cheese. Serve with hot garlic bread or your favorite side dish.

NOTES: Feel free to use all boudin instead of a mix if you wish. Also, Jimmy Dean Spicy Breakfast Sausage or similar is a good addition to the boudin as well. Just remember the boudin will have rice in it, which is a requirement for this dish. Another way to do this is on the grill, using a low heat 2 zone set up. Cook times should be similar as to cooking in the oven.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 23, 2021, 08:42 AM.

I don't like green bell peppers but I'm sure those would taste great if made with Poblano's.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they would! You can stuff this into any large pepper really. Also any color of bell peppers you might like, red, yellow or orange.

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Or substitute red or orange peppers which I believe are somewhat milder.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not that I don't like green bell peppers, it's just that they do uncomfortable things to my gut. No other peppers have that effect.

where do you get boudin, did you make it?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I thought boudin was a meat, I’ll see if my Publix carries it!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Boudin is a Cajun style sausage popular in Southern states, originated in Louisiana. The main ingredients are rice, pork and seasonings, stuffed into a sausage style casing. But...you will find some made with shrimp, crawfish and alligator as well

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Boudin originated in France, migrated to Louisiana with the Acadians. Traditional boudin blanc contains pork liver and head meat scraps along with the rice and seasonings. You can also find boudin made with crawfish. I'm sure there are other regional variations. There is even boudin rouge made with the addition of pig blood. Hard to find even in S. Louisiana.

Walmart sells a brand down my way. It's decent.

I order my Cajun meat from https://cajunsausage.com/
      Last edited by Bkhuna; January 24, 2021, 09:33 AM.

For the folks who can’t get boudin where you live, I’ve got a great substitute for it. Use your favorite dirty rice instead. I don’t make home made dirty rice, but I use Zatarain’s Dirty Rice Mix. This stuff is very good! You won’t believe it came out of a box. All you do is add 1 lb. of ground meat. I use Hot Italian Sausage OR Spicy Breakfast Sausage (Jimmy Dean’s or Tennessee Pride, etc.) It doesn’t have to be spicy though, just my preference.

EDIT: If you use this instead of boudin, skip adding the additional hot Italian Sausage and the Cream of Mushroom Soup.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 23, 2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

And I am the only one that likes bell pepper in my family. But those look amazing and sound great, PBR great.
      Now if I can get them to try, wish me luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here