Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brookville Hotel Cole Slaw--Try this one!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brookville Hotel Cole Slaw--Try this one!!!

This is my wife's go to cole slaw recipe.
    She has been using it for nearly 40 years, and it is an always asked for recipe when she takes it out to gatherings. It is out of an old church cook book that her Granny gave her years ago.
    It is absolutely my FAVORITE cole slaw in the world. (Actually it is the only cole slaw I will eat.) It is kind of hard to describe the mouth feel--kind of almost carbonated or fizzy!
    Recipe is from the Old Brookville Hotel in Abeline, KS which has an interesting history itself.

Brookville Hotel Old-Fashioned Sweet-Sour Cole Slaw

1&1/2 lb. shredded cabbage (Perfectly fine to use pre-shredded cabbage from the grocery store)

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup white vinegar

1 cup heavy whipping cream

Place the shredded cabbage in a covered dish in the refrigerator for several hours to get it cold.

Mix the remaining ingredients in the order given. (Strange I know but it is directly out of the old cook book she uses?) EDITED--MIX well to blend.

Pour over cabbage 30 minutes before serving. These are the original instructions. I personally like it after it has sat in the fridge overnight.

Chill & serve.
    Last edited by Cheef; February 2, 2018, 05:58 PM.

Cheef, Thank Your Wife for Her Recipe for Colslaw‼️ Does She Use Any Other Seasoning Besides Salt❓
    Thanks, From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; February 2, 2018, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's Good to Know❗️ Thanks, Dan

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, so good to see a post from Danny-boy. May he rest in peace.

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin. I sure enjoyed the time we stopped by Dan’s place on our way to Brainerd, MN. He was a fun guy to be around.

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it.

Comment

Nice & simple. Talked it over with my wife, we have to give it a try.

Comment

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        The old Brookvile Hotel was and I believe still is famous for Family Style Dining. It was legendary in our area when I was a kid but kind of out of my families price range for dining. My wife ate there with her family a few times a year on special occasions. I've always been tempted to go give it a shot but just never found the time to get there.l

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you hear you got permission

Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Thanx for this.

Comment

Looks really interesting. Thanks!

Comment

It will be interesting to get feed back.
            She also has a recipe from the same book that calls for apple pie filling as part of a mixture in baked beans. 2 or 3 hours on the smoker and they are unbelievable.
            A friend of ours in WA state was REALLY skeptical of them until he tried them. He now uses the recipe exclusively at his diner on BBQ night.

Comment

It is kind of fun to go through the old church or 4H cookbooks from way back in the day, Some of those old farm women were some of the best cooks in the world. My wife loves to go through them because usually the ingredients are stocked right in our cupboard or freezer. Those women used simple ingredients and technique to put out some world class cooking.
              I need to get to digging and find her recipe for bread. It is called Go Make Your Bed Bread and she uses it for all breads she bakes. (When I can get her to make bread)It is good for buns, dinner rolls, hamburger buns, cinnamon rolls, and will make the absolute best bierocks you can make. (recipe for bierocks also in the book)It is KIND of a sweet but not too sweet bread with a soft texture. I need to go digging some of those old recipes out to share.

Comment

This sounds great.
                Sometimes simple is better.

Comment

Thanks for the Recipe! Slaw is always a staple with BBQ. I bet this would be exceptional on a bun with some pulled pork, eh?

Comment

I am kind of addicted to it. When it is gone I will even sneak a drink or two of the leftover juice.

Comment

• holehogg
                      holehogg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      😅😅😅

Would like to try the apple pie filling in beans recipe if you are willing to share

Comment

• Cheef
                      Cheef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I will get my wife to give it up and get it posted. The original recipe calls for oven cooking but the smoker brings it to life.
                      Believe it or not back in the '60s growing up where I grew up there was NO BBQ. I don't remember ever grilling or smoking, and never heard or saw anyone else do it.
                      No BBQ joints. Ribs were in the oven with kraut or cabbage.

• bep35
                      bep35 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did that bean recipe ever get posted?

Love coleslaw. I will try. Thanks.

Comment

• jgreen
                      jgreen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds real interesting. I will put that date in my calendar and see if it works.

• andy.wpg
                      andy.wpg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I, too, will see if the date works for me. Would LOVE to see Meathead speak!

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Woo Woo❗️ The More the Merrier‼️ Spinaker Is The Host❓ See You There❗️ I'll See What I Can Find For Lodging and Post It for All❗️
                      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Opened the site to a new notification on this very old thread.
                    Kind of a sad update.
                    It looks like the Brookville Hotel has closed its doors after 125 years.
                    Covid restriction took away a landmark in another small Kansas town.
                    The picture in the article kind of surprised me. Last I knew the Brookville Hotel was still in Brookville in an old cattle baron mansion. It was unique in that the dining rooms were all over the old mansion. Bedrooms, library, etc were used as serving areas.
                    I would encourage anyone with the time to give the recipe in the post above a try.
                    As I said this is the ONLY coleslaw we serve at our housee for the past 40 plus years. For me it defines coleslaw, and everywhere we've taken it it disappears.
                    Man----I'm getting old. Hating to see the old places continue to disappear but I guess that is progress to new things.
                    A historic hotel in Abilene, well known for its homestyle cooking and fried chicken dinners, is closing after 125 years of operation by the same family.
                    Last edited by Cheef; October 17, 2020, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                      hoovarmin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      625 posts in - it's time for you to get an avatar Cheef

• Cheef
                      Cheef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm still lucky to get a picture to post.
                      The avatar thing might take a while.

• Dick Anderson
                      Dick Anderson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I, too, would like to see that recipe for baked beans Cheef. Would you still have it?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here