Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Creamed Spinach recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Creamed Spinach recipe

Got the kids all home for a night next week and am going to serve a small rib roast. Want to serve it with creamed spinach. Anyone have a good creamed spinach recipe they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.

Fresh spinach -- I prefer baby spinach leaves -- wash and spin dry

Melt about a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet (you'll need a lid for this).
    add some chopped onion (optional) cook til soft. Low to medium heat.
    Add chopped garlic, cook until just soft and fragrant.
    Add spinach to pan and cover. Stir once and a while to mix the leaves.

When everything is wilted, add chunks of cream cheese. Stir to melt. Salt and pepper to taste.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Would never think cream cheese. Gonna buy fresh, bagged spinach...so about 2? Also, one package cream cheese, 1/2 a package....?? I can approximate butter, onion and garlic. Thanks.

CandySueQ I am gonna make this tonight! Love me some spinach. Thanks!

Comment

I have made this several times and it is a hit.

Creamed Spinach Deluxe

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:
      • ½ cup water, divided
      • 36 oz baby spinach leaves
      • 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter
      • â…“ cup onion, chopped
      • 1 bay leaf
      • â…› teaspoon dried red chile flakes or ¼ to ½ tsp Aleppo pepper
      • ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
      • ¼ cup all purpose flour
      • ¼ teaspoon salt
      • 1 cup whole milk
      • ¾ cup heavy cream
      Preparation:
      1. Bring ¼ cup water to boil in large pot. Add ½ of spinach to pot; toss until wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes. Add remaining water and spinach one bag at a time and toss until just wilted. Transfer spinach to strainer set over large bowl. Press on spinach to release all liquid. Transfer spinach to work surface; coarsely chop. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate)
      2. Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bay leaf, dried chile flakes, and pepper; sauté until onion is soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour and salt. Cook until mixture is pale gold and has nutty aroma, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Boil until thick, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
      3. Add cream to béchamel; whisk until mixture is smooth and begins to simmer. Removebay leaves. Add spinach and stir until heated through.
      4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve
      Note: Be sure to remove as much water as you can from the cooked spinach (otherwise the finished dish may be watery, rather than creamy).
      Alternate: Add spiced bread crumb; Heat 3 tbsp butter in a 12" skillet over med-high heat. Add ½ cup bread crumbs, ¼ tsp paprika, and salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside and then sprinkle on top to serve.

Modified Epicurious: Bon Appétit | March 2006 by Suzanne Tracht

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Bon Appetit is always a great source. I have tried many recipes from them. Thank you.

I use similar to what CandySueQ does but i also add some sour cream and omit the onion.

If you can get cream cheese that is, lol.

Comment

The best creamed spinach I ever had was at the Berghoff Restaurant in Chicago. Your inquiry got me to wondering if anyone had come up with a recipe that mirrored it. This is what I found: https://www.food.com/recipe/berghoff...spinach-158490 . I haven't tried it yet so I can't give any assurances. But if it is half as good as the original, it is heavenly.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Nutmeg.....interesting. Nutmeg is an engaging spice and compliments cream based recipes well. Again interesting ingredient. Thanks for providing the link.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Draznnl love the berghoff! Especially their root beer.

This is the basic recipe for Lawry's The Chop House in Dallas that I use every Christmas. The only thing I do differently is I don't waste the bacon grease and use heavy cream instead of milk because I am gluten fat bacon sucking pig.. I fully confuse to being a gravy sucking pig...

Ingredients
        • 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach 2 packages
        • 4 slices finely chopped bacon
        • 1/4 cup minced onion
        • 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
        • 2 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
        • 1 teaspoon black pepper
        • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
        • 2 cups warmed milk
        Instructions
        • Cook the spinach according to the package directions and drain well. Fry the bacon bits until crisp and set aside. Remove most of the bacon drippings from the pan (NO!).
        • Sautée the onion in the remaining pan drippings until very tender (about 10 minutes). Add the bacon to the onion mixture for the last couple of minutes of cooking.|
        • Remove the onion/bacon mixture from the heat and stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and garlic and blend thoroughly - it will be a thick paste roux.
        • Add the warmed milk all in one step (USE Heavy Cream!). Return the mixture to medium heat and stir continuously until thickened and smooth.
        • Add the spinach and mix thoroughly. Keep the finished dish warm until ready to serve.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I thought the same thing when I read the recipe....needs something heavier than milk. Appreciate your emphasis on heavy cream.

Lawry's originated in Los Angeles. It's prime rib cart is legendary (in Los Angeles). I grew up with Lawry's seasoned salt in the house and use it in my rubs today. I went to look up the Lawry's history on their website and was surprised on a few things.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Frozen Chopped spinach got my vote for creamed spinach.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here