Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side Veggie Recipes For An Akaushi Teres Major Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Veggie Recipes For An Akaushi Teres Major Cook

Since I introduced Akaushi beef here in the Pit, I thought I’d report on my overall impression of the meat now that I’ve cooked some. For those who may have missed my post, Akaushi is a type of Japanese cow (Wagyu) that is smaller in stature, brown in color and the most prized among the Japanese breeds. The famous Kobe Wagyu beef is from the Akaushi breed. It is so prized that they’re no longer allowed out of Japan but in a special loop hole trade agreement HeartBrand Beef from here in Texas, got a hold of some of these coveted animals back in the 90’s and have bred and cross bred them with other American cattle. The resultant American Wagyu beef genetics have been subsequently sold to other ranchers and the cross breed continues to grow to this day. Known simply as Akaushi, the beef sold today must have, by association agreement, at least 50% of their genetics traced back to those original Akaushi animals brought here from Japan.

Recently I ran across some of HeartBrand’s product in a local barbecue store. The price was reasonable (only a little bit more per pound then say Prime) so I grabbed some. One of the cuts I was most interested in trying was the Teres Major also known as the Petite Tenderloin. It’s said to be the second most tender cut on the animal. It's best described as similar to the muscle found in the underarm of a human, it also known as the Butcher’s Cut because they would harvest it for themselves.

The package I bought had four 10 oz. filets. They were about 7-8 inches long and tubular in shape. They were very soft in texture and still had a little silver skin attached similar to a tenderloin. In fact, they look just like a miniature version of a tenderloin. I went ahead and sous vided them for about 2 hours at 130*F then seared them with a torch. The result? Well super tender as expected, melt in your mouth beefy deliciousness.

The verdict? To be honest if I could source the same thing in Prime (which is hard enough to begin with) I probably couldn’t really tell the difference. There was literally no fat in the cut which is what sets Wagyu beef apart of all others to begin with. Was it super tender and delicious, yes. Was it worth sourcing in Akaushi Wagyu, probably not but well worth it at the price point I got it at. I’m looking forward to the other cuts, especially the brisket, that has the more traditional interstitial fat content to really see Akaushi shine.

Well why is this post in the veggie recipe section (I know the Mods have got to be scratching their heads by now)? The answer is I don’t really know in all the recipes I’ve developed that I’ve ever written up any veggie ones. What’s wrong with giving the sides a little love for a change? Two that were served with the beef were new to me and I wanted to share them both with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	teres 02.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1122192

Name:	teres 04.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1122189

Mushrooms in a Mushroom Sauce

(Original recipe by Chef Jean Pierre from his website, modified)

Course: Dinner
    Cuisine: American (French Influence)
    Makes: 3-4 servings
    Takes: 30 minutes’ prep, 30 minutes to cook

Ingredients:

2-3 tablespoons sautéing oil
    3 tablespoons chopped shallots
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    3 cups sliced mushrooms of choice
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon or thyme
    1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish

1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
    2/3 cup white wine
    1 cup chicken stock
    2-3 tablespoons whipping cream or half-in-half
    1 tablespoon butter
    Corn starch slurry for thickening

Directions:

In a sauté pan heat the oil and sweat the shallots for about 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and cook for about another minute or two until they become fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook them down until they give up their liquid, maybe another 8-10 minutes.

Next add the vinegar, the wine and the herbs. Continue to reduce the liquid by about half, concentrating the flavors. Add the stock and cream continue to reduce and cook for about 15 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste at this point.

Depending on the desired sauce thickness (I like it back of a spoon coated) add some corn starch slurry to the desired result. Add the butter for additional richness. Stir in the cilantro for garnish and allow to cook another 2-3 minutes and serve.

Name:	teres 06.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1122195

Broccoli Salad

(Inspired by Miller’s Smokehouse in Belton, Texas)

Course: Dinner
    Cuisine: American
    Makes: 3-4 servings
    Takes: 30 minutes’ prep, 10 minutes to assemble

Ingredients:

3 cups fresh broccoli, remove stems, chopped into bite size pieces
    1/2 pound bacon, fried then crumbled
    1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
    1/2 red onion chopped fine
    1 cup Dukes mayonnaise (or more if desired)
    2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

Directions:

In boiling water blanch the broccoli for about 1 minute then plunge into an ice bath. (This step is optional unless you want a crispier crunch). Cook the bacon until crispy and then crumble.

Combine all of the ingredients and toss together. Refrigerate for an hour or two to allow the flavors to meld. Give it a final toss before serving.

Name:	teres 07.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1122190

Give these recipes and some Akaushi beef a try, you will enjoy the combinations. Akaushi beef can be bought on line through various sources here in Texas. Hunt around on the internet under Akaushi for the best deals. Take a look at the HeartBrand website since they are the forerunners of the brand.

Troutman is indeed outta here !!!

Attached Files

Excellent write-up. I do like some mushroom with my beef so I need to remember that for next time.

That is interesting on the fat content on the teres major. SWMBO is also super picky about fat so we will see what she thinks. I wonder if the differences in taste will be more material for something like brisket or beef ribs. Then we order prime for steak cuts and then Akaushi for brisket/ribs.

Sadly, I won’t find out this week as SWMBO has asked for a CHICKEN dish when all of this beautiful meat is due to be delivered from Porter Road and Click. Why me?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I’m kinda shocked there is little or no response to this cooked product, it’s amazing stuff. And yes like tenderloin it’s extremely lean but amazingly tender.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Since I first posted on Click, they have gotten roughly 200 orders so 100 a week. Not all from us Pit folks but I think we helped!

May have to try that salad, sounds and looks delish

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here