Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked a peck of peppers and pickled them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked a peck of peppers and pickled them

Our peppers were coming in good so we picked a basket ​ ​Then we chopped them up into rings ​ ​ ​ We added garlic ​ 2% of the weight in salt. 2% salt brine to cover so the total salt was 2% for everything. ​ ​ We weighed everything down, covered it with an airlock. ​ After about a week we will start taste testing. When they get to where we like them we'll move them to the fridge.

What variety of peppers? I had a great recipe for these that I've misplaced and am trying to locate.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      No pics showed up.

They are called Big Bang Space chillies a Chinese variety. They grow good sized like an Anaheim will medium heat but very good yields.
    Last edited by Michael Brinton; July 9, 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Sounds great but unfortunately the photos didn’t come through.

Comment

Seymore said see no more pictures

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_101503.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1057808Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_103822.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1057807Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_103732.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1057809Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_111314.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1057811Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_113248.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1057810

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! Thanks

Very nice!

Comment

Want to pickle some pepperoncinis bur having a hard time finding some. Any suggestions on another variety?

Comment

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm a fan of this website superhotchiles.com Refining fire chilies. They've got a pretty good selection with different heat levels. I think they have italian pepperoncini. Any variety will work to pickle it just depends how hot you want it.

I think I will try this as it looks like I will have a good crop of hot peppers this year. I usually make fermented hot sauce from them.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
              Editing a comment
              Nice! I make lots of sauces too. This is more or less the same process. Blended up hot sauce left whole pickles. Enjoy your crop!

Tested the ph Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_093822.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1061861 Boiled the brine, packed into jars a processing at 180 for 30mins. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210717_120228.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1061862

Comment

Can you please post a more detailed recipe. Did you add dry salt and a brine? What pH were you looking for? how long did you sous-vide the cans at 180 deg? Was this for pickeled jalapeno? I'm thinking of making jalapeno fermented hot sauce.

Comment

• Michael Brinton
                Editing a comment
                2% Salt to the weight of everything. The pH was 3.2 on a Milwaukee meter calibrated that day. 180 for 30mins which is usda recommended for canning home fermented peppers, could be stovetop 180-5 its just easier to keep the temp sous vide. Definitely works good for jalapeños.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here