Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking corn on the cob? How long to cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking corn on the cob? How long to cook?

My father grew up in a central PA farming community, and when I was growing up even though we always steamed our fresh corn, when he bought corn from a nearby farm, he always called it "roasting ears". When camping he taught me to roast corn in the husk over a charcoal or wood fire, and that tasted worlds better to me. As an adult city dweller, I usually roast corn fresh from the farmers market on my gas grill, in the husk. Today, I’m feeling stingy about the propane though, and looking at my "smoke vault" cabinet smoker which is cooking just one rack of ribs, and I’m thinking: what if I just slip these roasting ears in on the top rack of the smoker? The corn will cook more slowly, sure @ c.240F - maybe 40-45 minutes? I’d appreciate input from anyone that’s tried it this way.

That sounds essentially like baking them and I'm skeptical you'd enjoy the result, might be kind of mushy. I can't imagine using too much LPG to grill just the corn, maybe 15 minutes worth. Let us know if you toss them in the smoker and how they turn out.

Comment

So I did smoke the corn, about 40 min @ c.240F (probably a bit hotter effectively since it was 2 levels above the ambient probe reading 240). It wasn’t the best corn - too mature by a few days, but the texture was good - comparable to roasting on the grill but without any char. I did remove the outer layers of the husk prior to cooking.
      Next time I might try husking first and seasoning the ears before cooking - to get some smoke flavor on the corn.
      But, for being lazy and cooking for the 2 of us - this was fine. For company I’d try to do a little more.

Comment

@240*F cooks them till they're done, start checking them after 20 minutes or so. Do you want char? In husks or foil? naked?
        With a little char and the ears of corn pair well with PBR.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here