Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homage to the Taco Chronicles - The Series - Tacos de Pescado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homage to the Taco Chronicles - The Series - Tacos de Pescado

The sun begins to rise casting long shadows over the Sierra de Juarez mountains. A coastal mist is still thick in the air as fishermen and surfers alike cling to the edges of the Pacific Ocean waiting for their time with what she has to offer them. Nets are being sorted and sown, chum is being prepared and boards are being waxed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Endless Summer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.5 KB ID:	980136

Street vendors are beginning to open their stands; food prep is in full swing. Fresh masa is being mixed for tortillas, lard is being heated and the freshest of seafood is awaiting its bath in the rich beer batter also being prepared. Beer is being iced down. Vendors are beginning to sell their wares of fresh shrimp, snapper, mahi mahi, and grouper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fish taco stand.jpg Views:	0 Size:	258.8 KB ID:	980137

All is coming together for another day of the consumption of my favorite type of taco, Tacos de Pescado, or seafood tacos!! Unlike anything else in Mexico, these tacos are a direct result of centuries of eating seafood, the most available food source in an otherwise mountainous and desert region of the country, wrapped in a tortilla.

Welcome then to Ensenada, Mexico in Baja California. Most would agree (although there are purists who don’t) that the fish taco originated in this town. Although seafood has probably been consumed here for centuries, it’s said that the way it’s currently and most popularly being prepared is another example of cuisine blending. It’s said that about 80 years or so ago Japanese fisherman brought the cooking of fish and shellfish in the tempura style to the Baja. Delicately fried in a light batter, it gave a warm and crunchy bite to their tacos.

Tacos de Pescado then is best described as delicately fried fish, topped with a salad and some type of sauce all wrapped in a tortilla. Healthier than most others found around Mexico and one of my all-time favorites. If you’re a lover of seafood, combine these lightly battered delicacies with the crunch of your favorite fresh toppings, to your next taco. Crack open a cold beer, fill your gut while watching the sunset over the Pacific, and hope you’ll never awaken from this dreamlike state.

Tacos de Pescado

Course. Lunch or Dinner. Main Dish. Fresh Seafood.
    Cuisine. Mexican
    Makes. 4 to 6 servings
    Takes. 30-45 minutes prep and 1 hour cooking time

Ingredients – Seafood & Beer Batter

2 pounds 13-15 count shrimp, peeled and deveined
    2 pounds firm fish (cod, tilapia, mahi-mahi, sand shark), cut into large chunks
    3 cups AP flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1/8 cup yellow mustard
    1 egg beaten
    1-2 bottles beer
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon Tony C’s or seafood seasoning
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Lard or oil for frying

10-12 corn tortillas
    4-5 cups Pico de Gallo
    3-4 cups shredded raw cabbage
    Wedges of fresh lime
    Troutman’s seafood taco sauce*

Ingredients – Troutman’s Seafood Taco Sauce*

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 chipotle peppers plus 1 teaspoon of the canned adobo sauce
    1 teaspoon Tony C’s or seafood seasoning
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    Juice from one lime

Directions

1. In a 5-quart CI pot or deep fryer pre-heat the lard or oil to 350*. Combine the AP flour and remaining ingredients. Add the beer last beginning with one full bottle. Stir into a firm batter, avoid letting it get too wet. If too thick, add however much beer it takes to achieve the desired batter consistency. The batter should be thick enough to coat as well as cling to the seafood.
    2. Fry the battered seafood in small batches to keep the oil at a consistent temperature. Place on a draining rack and keep warm.
    3. Combine the ingredients for Troutman’s Seafood Taco sauce in a blender and blend to a smooth and thick consistency.
    Build your tacos and enjoy!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	taco 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.54 MB ID:	980141Click image for larger version  Name:	taco 03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	980139Click image for larger version  Name:	taco 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.42 MB ID:	980140Click image for larger version  Name:	taco 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	980138

Next up is one I’ve been contemplating for some time, Tacos al Pastor!! Trout is out!!

"This is what defines Mexico….a good taco!!!"
    Last edited by Troutman; January 26, 2021, 08:15 AM.

Thanks mate, love reading your posts!

Comment

Excellent! Love the presentation! The avocado cups are excellent as well.

Well done my friend!!! And can’t wait for Tacos al Pastor!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking a small diameter, horizontal trompo on my rotisserie. Not the same overall affect but should emulate the al Pastor idea for this exercise !!

Looks to me like all those tacos went on a bender.
      cerveza is PBR in Spanish?

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think they allow PBR in Mexico

• Rfhd69
        Rfhd69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Portland’s Best Refreshment!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Not allowed Mexico? Maybe because it's now from L.A., California. 🤢
        Moved there from Milwaukee, which used to be the beer capital of the U.S.
        Perhaps beer season this spring and summer I may switch to Pub beer made by 10 Barrel Brewing co. nice American Lager. A local brewing company from Portland Oregon.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; January 26, 2021, 07:50 AM.

Fish tacos is one of my wife’s favorite meals. We make it quite often. I’ll have to try your taco sauce. It looks delicious.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine too. The shrimp ones were actually better!!

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I bet they are. Would love to try them someday but unfortunately my wife is allergic to shellfish.....ah, c’est la vie.

That looks and sounds awesome. Great recipe and pics. Well done!

Comment

I remember as a kid we would always go down to Baja (San Felipe usually) and stop and get a fish taco at each stand, a coke in a glass bottle and then continue walking to the next one.

There's nothing better than a simple Mexican street taco. They used to just give you the fish, a corn tortilla, and a lime. No cabbage, no sauce, no pico. A few random places did have cabbage (it might have been pickled?)

I really like your recipe, the batter and prep LOOKS like I remember everything, and unlike so many "authentic Mexican street taco" recipes, you didn't overdo it on the condiments.

Gonna try to give this a go.

Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; January 25, 2021, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I do raw cabbage because I like the cool crunch against the warmth of the fried fish. It's a perfect compliment.

@Troutman, Steve someone sent this to me and claimed it's your daughter going to prom. True or false?

Click image for larger version

Name:	taco tuesday.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1029931

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat.I created the dress between cooks

I'm making this tonight, using the redfish I caught Thanksgiving day. What do you think, Troutman - would redfish be well suited to this recipe?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You bet !!!!

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman it was terrific. I posted the cook in SUWYC

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here