Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birria de Res Tacos y consome (broth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birria de Res Tacos y consome (broth)

Perhaps some of you know my joy for making tacos, or even my joy for seeing you all post tacos here (Taco Tuesday Everyday!). Over the last year, I’ve posted a number of taco cooks - it might just be my favorite food item to eat. And I’ve tried some new ones as well over the year, getting some ideas from The Pit, as well as the interwebs and Alex Stupak’s Tacos: Recipes and Provocations: A Cookbook. And like I’ve said in my other recipes, the best thing about The Pit is learning about styles and nuances that each of us bring to a specific cook.

During the last two months, I’ve made one specific type of taco that has just about made me think I’ve found the "golden taco"! And you’ve seen a few posts from me as well as 58limited for birria de chivas - and our good friend Troutman, who is working up something that’s for sure going to be a hit!

My last post had a few members asking if I could share what I’ve found, so here’s what I’ve compiled from a few months of researching the interwebs and pulling from a few recipes and videos that I’ve watched on making Birria de Res Tacos!!!!!

My base recipe came from an article I saw from FoodandWine.com (which usually publishes pretty good recipes from my experience). But over my few cooks, I’ve adapted this recipe a bit to include four different sources, although the FoodandWine.com recipe is now really just for time and temp for the cook. The adobo sauce recipe I am using does come straight from Stupak’s book and I find it is perfect, not too spicy and flavorful in every way from the multitude of spices included. I’m also bringing in some techniques as well as a chile oil recipe that I picked up from a YouTube channel titled Views on the Road, which mnavarre may have posted (I don’t remember for sure). This channel has a few videos on various types of birria - res (beef), chivo (goat), pavo (turkey) and pollo (chicken) along with many other traditional Mexican food items. And it is this channel that I feel has helped me take the taco to the top of the taco pyramid! I’ve started cooking my birria with a few additional ingredients that bring a little more flavor and I’ve incorporated the chile oil to bring a flavor bomb to the tortillas! And for the consome - this is just "soup" or broth. From my reading/watching, some cook a separate broth, but I am just using the broth I cooked the chuck roast with. And I highly recommend serving this on the side as a dipping or sipping broth. The first time I made these, I didn’t serve this on the side and I’ve learned it truly adds to not only the flavor but the overall experience of eating tacos! You can also serve this as a stew and allow your guests to eat it with corn tortillas on the side.

So here’s the compilation to Birria Tacos, or Birria de Res y Consome

Click image for larger version

Name:	E480CD5B-F8A7-40E3-8653-99592ACEDABD.jpeg
Views:	883
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	963485

Birria de Res Tacos y Consome

Course - Lunch or Dinner
    Cuisine - Mexican
    Makes - 30 tacos or so
    Takes - 2 hours prep, 8-24 hours marinating/down time about 5 hours cooking

Special tools
    I use a 6qt Dutch oven for the birria de res, griddle for the tacos, blender to make adobo sauce

Ingredients

For Adobo from Tacos: Recipes and Provocations: A Cookbook by Alex Stupak (you can find this recipe on JamesBeard.org as well) - makes about 2 1/3 cups - And if you can not source whole, dried chiles, you can substitute powder - it will work and I have notated an approximate weight for each which I have used and the book doesn’t include.
    8 ancho chiles (or 50-60g powder)
    8 guajillo chiles (or 50-60g powder)
    1 chipotle morita chile (or 15-20g powder)
    One 2-inch stick of canela (Mexican cinnamon)
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    3 whole cloves
    20 garlic cloves, skins on
    1 cup cider vinegar (if you used chile powder, you may need additional vinegar to thin out adobo a bit)

For Chile Oil from Views on the Road
    1 cup Canola oil or oil of choice
    4 Guajillo chiles or 3 Tbs of powder
    2 medium bay leaves
    1/2 Tbs Mexican Oregano, crumbled
    2 Tbs chicken bouillon Powder (I omitted this and didn’t notice if it would have made a difference)
    2 tsp black pepper
    1/4-1/2 tsp ground clove
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp sugar
    for spice, if you want a spicy flavor profile - add a dash of chile pequin or cayenne

For birria de res tacos y consome
    1 (3-4lbs) boneless chuck roast
    2 tablespoons plus 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
    Adobo sauce from Alex Stupak’s Taco Book, about 1-1.5 cups
    8 cups water
    1 onion, quartered
    2 carrots, sliced length wise

Tortillas - 25-30 (or to serve number needed)
    Chile Oil for dipping tortillas, will use majority of oil and seasoning
    shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
    Lime wedges, for serving

Taco Topping -
    1 finely chopped white onion,
    1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    Queso Fresco, crumbled

Method

For Adobo - plan to make this a day prior
    Remove the stems from the chiles and tear the chiles open. Shake out and discard the seeds. Tear the chiles into small pieces.

Set a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the canelas, cloves, black peppercorns, oregano, and cumin seeds. Toast the spices, shaking the pan, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Remove the spices from the heat, transfer them to a spice grinder, and grind the mix to a fine powder.

Reheat the skillet over medium heat. Toast the ancho, guajillo, and chipotle morita chiles, turning them from time to time until you see the first wisp of smoke, about 30 seconds. Transfer the chiles to a bowl, cover them with hot tap water, and place a heavy plate over the chiles to keep them submerged. Set the chiles aside to soak for 30 minutes.

Add the garlic cloves to the skillet and roast them, turning them from time to time, until softened slightly and blackened in spots, about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the garlic from the skillet, and set it aside to cool at room temperature. Once the cloves are cool enough to handle, peel them and discard the skins.

Drain the chiles and place them in a blender along with the ground spices, roasted garlic, and vinegar, and purée to a paste. You may need to add a bit of water to the blender to help the chiles pass easily through the blades. Transfer the paste to a container and refrigerate it until ready to use.

Name:	C71D1685-8550-4ABD-A509-D4EC0C4478FB.jpeg
Views:	1208
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	963479

For Chile Oil - plan to make this day before
    Take garlic, pepper corns, Bouillon (if using), cloves, sugar and bay leaves and grind to powder in a spice blender.

Heat oil to 290-310 degrees. When starting to add spices, turn off heat to oil. If oil is too hot, you will burn the spices and chile powder.

Add in chile, spice blend from blender, and crumbled oregano. Stir to mix all and allow to cool and transfer to glass. I added in to Chile de Arbol to add a little more spice (seen in photo below).

Name:	0490C43A-A017-4AFF-9EDF-B96F5D32350B.jpeg
Views:	857
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	963481

For birria de res tacos y consome
    Sprinkle chuck roast with 2 tablespoons salt. Rub roast with adobo in a large nonreactive bowl (I just use my Dutch oven); toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 300°F. Add 8 cups water. Bring to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and onion and cover with lid, and place in preheated oven. Bake until meat is fork-tender, about 4 hours.

Name:	77BA0473-A58C-4FC2-BFDE-B5E29DB4ECD8.jpeg
Views:	844
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	963482

Remove chuck roast from braising broth, and transfer to a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. To serve birria as a broth, keep warm over low heat and skim off fat as needed. Season broth with salt to taste. Meanwhile, shred beef and toss meat with 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Keep warm while building tacos.

Stir together onion, cilantro, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; set aside.

Heat a cast-iron griddle over medium-high heat. Place chile oil in dish large enough to dip tortilla in completely. Dip both sides of tortilla into Chile oil, allow excess oil to drip back into dish and immediately place on griddle. Cook until bottom tortilla is lightly browned and starting to crisp, then flip. Then sprinkle jack cheese on tortilla and place shredded beef on one side of the taco. Fold tacos in half, pressing with a spatula. Transfer to a serving plate. Repeat process with remaining tortillas, chile oil, cheese and meat.

Name:	80AE38B7-ADF6-40DC-BA62-38FC8CC2D077.jpeg
Views:	859
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	963483

Name:	6A0107FB-07EC-4B70-ADA0-CBCE835E758C.jpeg
Views:	854
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	963484

Serve tacos with onion-cilantro mixture, lime wedges, queso fresco and remaining adobo broth in a small bowl or cup for dipping or sipping.

Name:	26763FA4-2E2C-4997-83AB-7D1B8C72D5EE.jpeg
Views:	842
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	963480

So that’s what I’ve come up with - I don’t know how I could actually make this any better....but, I’m sure I may pick up a few things over time and learning from others who may contribute to our search for perfect Tacos

And last - the adobo sauce can be use in a variety of ways - Birria, Tacos al Pastor, Chicken Adobo Tacos, and Lamb Babacoa, all tacos that I’ve made and posted about here and enjoyed!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy these tacos as much as my family and I do!

Yep, that was me that posted the Views on the Road Birria de Res video:

And, yeah, the chili oil really takes the tacos over the top. Make the chili oil, you will not be sorry.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that’s the video that directed me to another video of hers for the oil. And that is what this place is about! Sharing all this good stuff to learn how to up your game a bit!

Thanks for sharing!! I bet this stuff would be off the charts with those tamales you just made! A little broth served over the tamale!

Thanks! I see a few ideas/ingredients to incorporate into my recipe. I agree, chili oil for the win! I dipped my tortillas in both the broth and the chili oil.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad it helped! I’ve seen tomatoes being added in as well, but I haven’t tried that yet. The onion and carrot in the broth was a hit. I liked the carrots in this. Now that this is fresh in my head, I need to go back and reread your version and see if there’s anything else I Need to experiment with/add in!

This is amazing! Thanks!

Comment

Guga from Sous Vide Everything on Youtube has a version of this, also. It was also part of Taco Chronicles on Netflix. Makes my mouth water every time I see a picture! That series on Netflix is fantastic. Thanks for your version!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t watched Guga’s version, but I need to. I saw it pop up a few weeks back but didn’t click on it.

And the Taco Chronicles show was amazing. I loved it for everything it was, the food, the cultural aspects of food, the regional aspects for Mexico. This is what Troutman is kind of doing as well, but it’s need to see even with three or four of us posting on this, the various influences that we have in our cooks!

The other show on Netflix I started but haven’t got far into is Street Food..

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Continued - something like Street Food - it is also pretty good!

Thanks to all who have contributed to our Taco Universe.

Comment

Thanks so much for this. So much good information. Bookmarked for next time I'm feeling adventurous.

Comment

Sounds wonderful. I've added this post to my Pit Recipes.

Comment

Wow really well written and executed. It captures the real sense of what Birria de res is and its popularity. I'm currently working on a more traditional birria stew that I'll make into tacos. I may do some de res as well after seeing this, but will have more of a consommé than a chili oil. You are correct though, you need the dipping sauce to make these tacos true birria. More to follow.

Bravo to you sir, I think we have a taco craze starting !!!

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! I found the chile oil helps crisp up the tortilla better than dipping in the consome, just what I’ve found from my cooks. I had a decent amount of broth leftover, so I vac sealed it up for use another time. It’s that good!

But, I’m looking forward to your write up! I have not cooked with goat, not sure the family would eat it if I did. Perhaps they would since they ate Lamb barbacoa earlier this year.

And I do say we keep the Taco Tuesday Every day craze going!!

WOW! I'm in overwhelm for sure. So many ideas so little time.

Comment

Fantastic, I’m gonna try this soon for sure! Thanks for sharing! I might sub goat for the beef though. I’m thinking putting the meat on the smoker for a couple hours might be a nice addition.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here