Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birria de Chivo Tacos Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Honestly it seems complex but really didn't take too much time. Most of the time was smoking or simmering time. Since I was simultaneously making 30 lbs of venison snack stix I took a few short breaks from the tedium (6 hours!) of stuffing the snack stix into 19mm casings to put the birria together. I will NOT be making that much snack stix again until I get an electric stuffer with foot control.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 27, 2020, 11:41 AM.

• Troutman
    replied
    Man you guys are blowing me away. This is a much more complex recipe then I'm working on !! Oh well, the Taco Chronicles must go on, I'll have my chivo recipe this week. Will do the traditional stew (simpler) and some de res. For those who don't know, these are traditional tacos that are worth the effort. I think that's why they have gained in popularity of late.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and further develop this birria recipe. Great work !!

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    I edited the recipe - I forgot that I used bay leaves too.

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    replied
    Man, that looks good.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    Yep - the flavor enhances the tortilla so much! And like he said, chile oil is going to be great. I just made up a batch of chile oil for my tacos tomorrow that will be better than just using the birria sauce I’ve made in the past.

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, saucing the tortillas is killer. After watching this video I'm going to try dipping them in chili oil as well - https://youtu.be/tc_XH70lBs4 I went ahead and used the Chinese chili oil that I made a few months ago and it made the tacos over the top.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 25, 2020, 08:34 AM.

• Ahumadora
    replied
    Goat.. the most underrated meat out there. love it..

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    replied
    Thank you very much!! Very similar to my wife’s pork recipe but you have a few really nice additions. I’m going to give it a go. I notice you sauce up your tortillas, like I do before cooking. Makes all the difference.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    Heck yeah! This is excellent! Very similar to how I make it, the adobo especially. Just a few herbs that I haven’t used in it.

I’m making Birria tacos tomorrow for dinner, with chuck roast though. Each time you make, it gets better. I’ve made it a few times now and through research I’ve picked up a few techniques each time that make it even better!

thanks for posting this! Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    A lot a work, I admire your dedication.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    started a topic Birria de Chivo Tacos Recipe

Birria de Chivo Tacos Recipe

Several recent posts inspired this. I made goat birria (Birria de Chivo) this week and it turned out great. I'm using it for tacos mainly. I've never had birria or birria tacos so I made this blind but based this on recipes found on the net, especially this one:

http://www.edibleaustin.com/index.ph...ated-goat-stew

The inspiration to make this came from ofelles post on Jalisco-Style Goat Stew (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...tyle-goat-stew) and from everyone basically raving about birria tacos.

Birria de Chivo Recipe

Serves 6 - 8 (as a stew; makes tons of tacos otherwise)

My changes are in the recipe but also noted below in the write-up
    • For the goat:
    • 3-4 lbs goat meat with bones
    • Salt
    • 3 dried red Hatch chilies, veins and seeds removed
    • 2 dried pasilla chilies, veins and seeds removed
    • 3 dried ancho chilies, veins and seeds removed
    • 2 dried guajillo chilies, veins and seeds removed
    • 3 dried de árbol or cascabel chilies
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 1/2 teaspoons peeled and grated ginger root
    • 1/4 tsp allspice powder
    • 1 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoons thyme
    • 1/2 cups lemon juice
    • 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    • 1/2 cups rice vinegar
    • 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
    • 2 tsp. cumin powder
    • 2-3 whole bay leaves
    • For the stew:
    • 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes dry roasted
    • 1/2 lb tomatillos, skins removed and dry roasted
    • 1 white onion, dry roasted
    • 2 garlic cloves, dry roasted
    • 1 poblano pepper, dry roasted
    • 2 serrano peppers, dry roasted
    • 2 jalapeno peppers (red if you can find them), dry roasted
    • 1 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or lard
    • 7 cups chicken broth or water
    • 1 cup beer
    • Salt, to taste
    • Garnishes:
    • 1 white onion, diced finely
    • 1/4 cups dried oregano
    • 6 lime wedges
    • 1/2 cups salsa picante (homemade or store-bought)
    • 18 corn tortillas
    • Salt, to taste

Birria (Chili-Marinated Goat Stew) Directions
    • Rub the meat generously with salt and dry brine in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Then rub with black pepper and chili powder made from ground dried chilies such as Guajillo, Pasilla, Ancho, Cascabel, etc. In other words - not store bought chili powder which has other spices and salt added. Smoke until the internal temperature is about 135 degrees.
    • Meanwhile, place the chilies and garlic in a pot with water (but don't cover them with the water), cover and steam until soft - about 20 minutes. Remove and transfer the chilies to a blender along with the, ginger, spices (except the marjoram and bay leaves), lemon juice and vinegars.
    • Remove the meat from the smoker, place in a Dutch oven, and cover with the chili sauce. Add the marjoram and bay leaves and cook, covered, at 325 degrees until the meat is tender and falling off the bones - about 4 hours. Remove bay leaves.
    • Debone the meat and return to the Dutch oven.
    • Meanwhile, roast the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and peppers in a hot oven. Put into blender with the oregano and blend until smooth.
    • Heat the vegetable oil or lard and fry the stew mixture until the color darkens (this is what the original recipe said. The stew ingredients are not a paste but are watery so I just simmered with the lard to reduce and thicken it). Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, and beer, season with salt and simmer - I reduced by 1/3. Remove bay leaves.
    To serve as stew: Place goat meat into a bowl and ladle the broth over the top. Garnish.

I have seen recipes where the stew is made separately or is added to the Dutch oven with the adobo seasoned meat. Both are correct.

To serve as tacos: Add the stew to the Dutch oven with the meat and adobo mixture either before or after cooking. Dip a corn tortilla into the resulting broth (the fat on top), place on hot (almost smoking) cast iron skillet. Cook 30 seconds and flip. Place some meat on top and add some garnishes. Continue to cook until bottom of tortilla is crisp but not burned. Fold over and serve with the broth for dipping*.

To put these over the top, dip the tortillas in chili oil after dipping in the broth and then cook. You can get the chili oil recipe here: https://youtu.be/tc_XH70lBs4

NOTEs: I sourced the goat meat from a local Mexican market - it was not in the display case, I had to ask for it. It was packaged and frozen in bulk so I had them cut some about 3" thick, it was 4.5 lbs with the bones.

I dry brined it for 48 hours then lightly rubbed with black pepper and a blend of guajillo, ancho, pasilla, cascabel, and arbol powders that I ground myself: about equal amounts of the guajillo, ancho, and pasilla powder and 1/3 the amount of the cascabel and arbol powder. Then I smoked the meat at 200* for 3 hours or until about 135* in the center before adding to the Dutch oven with the adobo - cooked with the bones until fall apart, about 4 hours.

For the adobo sauce I followed the recipe as directed but used lemon juice instead of orange juice and I used both the dried arbol and the dried cascabel peppers and I added 1 tsp cumin powder and a few bay leaves. Plus, I added three dried Hatch red chilis.

While that was cooking I made the stew. I used half of the Roma tomatoes called for, subbing tomatillos for the rest. I also doubled the onion and garlic, added three jalapenos from the garden (small, 1/2 the size of store bought), two very small poblanos (also from the garden), and three serranos - all roasted then purreed in the blender. I also added two bay leaves. After simmering the stew for awhile I added it to the meat in the Dutch oven.

This is really good! I can't get enough. I made two tacos last night and immediately made two more. Here I am at breakfast time and I'm craving these tacos.

On the KBQ. I used Post Oak and Hickory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	birria1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.37 MB ID:	961779

After two hours in the Dutch oven

Click image for larger version  Name:	birria2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.91 MB ID:	961782

Transferred to an enameled Dutch oven and added the stew.

Click image for larger version  Name:	birria5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	961783

On the griddle with queso fresco and cilantro for garnish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	birria3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.09 MB ID:	961780

The breakfast of champions! These are some amazingly good and sloppy tacos (BTW - Sloppy Tacos is the name of my new band)

Click image for larger version  Name:	birria4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	961781
    Last edited by 58limited; December 27, 2020, 11:35 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here