Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom's Weird Tortillas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom's Weird Tortillas

This is a batter-based alternative to authentic tortillas. There's a whole thread about this if you want to dig into it: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...eird-tortillas

2 C. flour
    1 C. cornmeal
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    2 3/4 C. water (more or less)

Combine with rotary beater until smooth. Spoon by 3 Tbsp onto ungreased griddle until edges are dry.

Thank you, sir.

Comment

Easy enough. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I’m sure it is good eating.

It looks to me as sort of a riff off hoe cakes we grew up eating. I do remember using them to wrap around things like chopped pork sometimes, but that was as far as we went as I can’t remember putting anything else in there with the pork. Back then we had no knowledge of things like tacos, tortillas or even pizza. You can see the similarities to hoe cakes and johnny cakes like this one from King Arthur https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...oecakes-recipe

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          They lost me at "1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar", but that's pretty much how I do it otherwise.

So you don't have to read the whole other thread, here's my bottom line:

My mom didn't create the recipe herself. Almost certainly got it from a magazine. Here's my most plausible scenario: in the early 70s, the back-to-the land hippy movement spilled over into conservative, non-hippy rural life, like the Mother Earth News magazine and some things like that, which my mom subscribed to. And if you think about the typical Anglo-American homesteading housewife at the time, if she's got to make tacos for a large family or a group, and she doesn't care about making authentic hand pressed tortillas, whipping up a batch of batter and pouring it on the griddle is way more familiar to her and a lot easier. So somebody had probably adapted for that reason, and then put it in a magazine, and that's how it ended up on an index card written by my mom.

Comment

It may have originally come from Betty Crocker, a popular source for women of your mom's generation:

Homemade Corn Tortillas Recipe | SparkRecipes (sparkpeople.com)

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice detective work!

They always seem round and flat.
          But fresh is best, oh so good.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; July 28, 2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here