Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homage to the Taco Chronicles – The Series – Brisket Tacos – The Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying you are getting tired of the "same old joints" just means that you are living in the right part of the country. I do get the fact that many of the places are the same. I did notice that when I was in Austin over Labor Day weekend. Coming from, MN, where Lutefisk is more popular than BBQ, it was hard for me to imagine getting sick of BBQ places, but I hear you. Eventually they will have to branch out and make themselves stand out. Part of the issue is that BBQ is "regional" and many try to stick to what they think "Classic Regional" BBQ is. I think this tends to put people and places into boxes.

That being said, I too found that some are branching out. We went to Loro in Austin. Which, for those that do not know, is Japanese Smokehouse. Owned and started by Aaron Franklin and Tyson Cole of Uchi. We all know Aaron Franklin, but Tyson Cole is also a James Beard award winner and owns a top Sushi spot in Austin. Loro was amazing. Tons of different fusion dishes from pork belly, pork ribs, Malaysian Chicken Bo Ssam and chopped brisket rice bowls. It was awesome. And more than anything, is was just a fun experience to see how one would fuse American BBQ with asian inspired dishes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2748.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	1092766Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2745.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1092765Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2746.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	1092767

One more spot I need to hit up when I am in Austin is Valentinas. Especially since I saw the post and pictures above about the Tex-Mex fusion. That tacos looks insane! I have always heard great things about this place, just never been. Last time I was in Austin, my bro was moving into his new house, so I really did not have time during the day to try out new BBQ spots.

I am also gonna giver those Real Deal Holyfield tacos a go. Making brisket tacos is one of my favorites. And the guests love it too. And I love the addition of the fried egg! Great call. And they do look heaaaaaarty as all get out, brother!

Again, thanks for taking the time to put this all together. This was a fun read, and the food pics are nothing short of spectacular. You have a real talent, my friend. Next time I am in TX, I need to visit La Casa de Trout and get summa this homemade nirvana!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I need to put Loro on my short list. That place and those offerings look amazing. That's exactly what I want to see and where I believe bbq is going, more mainstream. Thanks for posting that spin.

As to the next time in Texas, don't forget about the October Meat-up in Rockdale !!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here