Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fry's Cajun Hodgepodge Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fry's Cajun Hodgepodge Soup

I had a few things I needed to use up in the fridge yesterday and decided to get creative. I unfortunately didn't write down exact measurements while I was cooking, so some of the measurements may be off. I'd recommend tweaking any ingredient's to your liking!

What resulted was a wonderfully smoky, cajuny, rich soup/stew that I will definitely be making again!

Ingredients:

1 lb Andouille Sausage, casing removed
    .75 lb Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
    1 lb 80/20 ground beef
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    1 green bell pepper, diced
    4 stalks celery, diced
    1 cup carrot, chopped into .5" pieces
    3 mini sweet peppers, diced
    1 10 oz. bag of collard greens
    1 whole cabbage, sliced pole to pole. Reserve about 1/2 cup raw for serving.
    1 large sweet potato, diced
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
    1 14 oz can of black eyed pees
    1 7 oz can of "El Pato" hot tomato sauce
    5 cups chicken broth (preferably gelatinous home made)
    3 cups beef brother (again, preferably gelatinous home made)
    10 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
    1 tbsp dried thyme
    1 tbsp dried oregano
    1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
    1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp curry powder
    1/2 tbsp black pepper
    1/2 tbsp kosher salt
    3 bay leaves

Instructions:

1. Using a 9 qt cast iron dutch oven, brown the bacon. Remove and reserve for later.

2. Brown the ground beef, remove and reserve for later.

3. Brown the andouille sausage, remove and reserve for later. Make sure to break up into small pieces, at largest 1/2".

4. Once the meats are browned, add in the onion, bell pepper, sweet pepper, celery and carrots. Cook on medium-low until greatly softened and aromatic. About 10 minutes. Don't let the onions caramelize, if the heat is too high, adjust down accordingly. Make sure to use the released moisture from the veggies to scrape up any fond that developed from browning the meats.

5. Just as the veggies are getting plenty soft, add in the garlic. Stir to combine.

6. Add in the bacon, ground beef and andouille sausage, stirring to combine.

7. Add the thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, curry powder, bay leaves and black pepper. You can add some salt here, but I will typically wait to finish salting a soup until the end. Stir everything for about 4 minutes to allow the flavors to blend and become well incorporated with the various ingredients.

8. Add the sweet potatoes, stirring to combine.

9. Add in the diced tomatoes and hot tomato sauce. I let the tomato products cook just a bit to soften the vinegar bite.

10. Throw in the broths and black eyed pees. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 18-20 minutes. When the sweet potato has softened, you're ready for the collard greens and cabbage.

11. After simmering, add in the collard greens and cabbage. Once they have softened to your liking, you're done! Due to bed time for the kids, mine ended up being left on the stove on low for about 35 minutes before we were able to eat.

To serve, I put in a bowl with a couple baguette croutons I had leftover from the French onion soup I made over the weekend. Add some of the reserved raw cabbage for some textural crunch and voila!

Hope you guys enjoy, this is my first recipe write up so if I think of anything I'll edit later!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	981476Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	981475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	981474 ​​​​​​​

Thanks for this. It looks fantastic!

Comment

That looks and sounds really good

Comment

Wow

Comment

That looks real good. I have a 9qt CI pot like that and that is a lot of soup!

Comment

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes my portions grew as I didn't want to throw anything away. I'll definitely be freezing quite a bit tonight after eating the leftovers.

Not a bad way to clean out the old fridge. That's almost like somethin' outta nothin'

Comment

Looking good!!!!

Comment

Now, that's what I call Hobo Stew. The only thing missing is the stone.
              Last edited by gcdmd; January 29, 2021, 08:11 AM.

Comment

10-4 here its Hunter Stew, I hunt around the fridge/cupboards for stuff to fill the stew pot.

Comment

Nice job, a really thorough write up, clear instructions, an nice pics of what was obviously some Great Food!

Looks an sounds so very good, from where I set.

Ya done good, here, today!

Many Thanks fer sharin with us!

Comment

• JakeT
                    JakeT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Bones!

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks be to yerself, fer doin such a good job, then writin it all up, sharin with us...

JakeT

Going to make this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• JakeT
                    JakeT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s awesome! I’ve never had someone make a recipe I’ve created so this is exciting and frankly...good luck! Like I said above, definitely use your judgement on some of the spice rations since I was recalling from memory not notes.

I look forward to seeing your cook!

• DavidNorcross
                    DavidNorcross commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will surely let you know. I plan on making this next weekend.

Good hearty soup weather. You done good.

Comment

• JakeT
                    JakeT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks bbqLuv!

Looks and sounds delicious! Good post.

Comment

Looks great! Thanks!

Comment

How could that not come out great? 👍👍👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here