Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexican Green Chile Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During my time here at The Pit, I’ve enjoyed reading about the many ways Chili is made and the regional differences. It’s a bit different than what I’ve grown up eating and making as I’ve learned from my Grandmother over the years, and even spelled differently than what we see in New Mexico.

In New Mexico, Chile is a condiment as well as a meal. Red or Green, or Christmas (when you go with both) - the New Mexico State Question is "Red or Green." You can find chile served with just about anything in New Mexico, and even in how it’s served varies based on what restaurant or home you are at. My grandparents ran a New Mexican restaurant during my elementary school years called Barela’s New Mexican Food, located on 4th Street and I remember staying with them on weekends to help with dishes and then getting to eat red chile enchiladas or going to visit them at the restaurant on Wednesday nights for dinner with my parent’s and sister. Over the years, I’ve been fortunate enough to have my grandmother around and teach me some of the recipes for the food they were known for - Carne Adovada, Posole and their red chile and beans.

But according to historical accounts, chiles may have been introduced to the region of New Mexico in the late 1500s, early 1600s. It is debated as to whether that was by Juan de Onate, a Spanish Conquistador, or the Antonio Espejo Expedition. Over the years, a wide variety of types of chile have become well known in the state as well as throughout the country due to the ease of shipping fresh chile now. There are over 10 types of green chiles that are grown in both Northern and Southern New Mexico, usually along the Rio Grande Valley, with many being familiar with Hatch, New Mexico as the spot for green chile. Big Jim and Sandia are two of the varieties that you see most when out looking for the chile itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0C9DF015-2119-4FE6-837C-EEEEF2057323.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	955249

How the chile dish is prepped, like anywhere, is in the purpose of the dish. Side - then used as a sauce and is really just green chile chopped and cooked, perhaps with a roux and stock, but some add ground beef for texture and flavor. Prepared as a stew - usually cooked with tomatoes, potatoes, maybe pinto beans, and maybe even Posole (which is another dish).

And even within my own household, there’s a difference of green chile stew in how my wife and I prepare this. My wife will prepare a green chile chicken stew to where I enjoy a green chile stew with ground beef. And this specific recipe is something that a friend of mine shared with me a while back and is our spin on Frontier’s green chile stew, a local hole in the wall restaurant found on Central Blvd. across from the University of New Mexico. It’s a simple 5 ingredient fix, but we have found that’s what makes this stew. Of course you can add more ingredients, but mimicking this stew was his goal, and this is how we have done that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AE61E915-899E-4100-A264-26C5C56B0A40.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	955251

Course - Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
    Cuisine - New Mexican
    Makes - 10-12 servings, makes a 6qt Dutch Oven full
    Takes - 20 minutes prep and about 2 hours cooking

Special tools
    I use a 6qt Dutch oven for this batch size of green chile stew. It works great!

Ingredients

Click image for larger version  Name:	1C7BCED5-BAEA-406A-9DC5-986FFC0FC672.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	955252

- 2.5 lbs Ground Beef - use a ratio of your liking, lean will have less fat slick. I’ve used 80/20 and 93/7. Both are good.
    - 1-2 boxes of Beef Stock
    - 2 sandwich bags of frozen roasted, Green Chile, chopped (I would guess this is about 14 chile peppers in total)
    - 5 Russet/Idaho potato, diced to 3/4-1”
    - 1 can diced or stewed tomatoes (or more if you prefer - I only use 1 despite the photo)
    - salt/pepper to taste

Method
    1. Place raw ground beef in a cold Dutch Oven.
    2. Add beef stock (just enough to cover the beef by an inch or so. You can always add more liquid later in the cooking process) and bring to a simmer while stirring to break up beef. The key here and what really makes this dish, is the small bits of ground beef. You want to think of the texture of the final dish resembling that of bolognese, so really take the time to break up the ground beef, and this is why it’s important to start with a cold Dutch Oven and water, so that the beef doesn’t start to cook together. The consistency of the beef really makes this dish!

Click image for larger version  Name:	3AE8103D-2ACA-4AF6-AFC3-2BF3DCDF9BC2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	955253

3. Add chopped green chile (I add seeds and all), diced potato, and canned diced or chopped stewed tomatoes (now would be a good time to add enough liquid to make it a stew consistency of your liking, if needed).

Click image for larger version  Name:	D63EE7F6-31B3-4AE1-A964-F95692D03DE1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	955256

Click image for larger version  Name:	4AB6644C-FAE6-4170-BA32-6B7E5BB19918.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	955250

Click image for larger version  Name:	4609F27B-57E2-4706-A901-D68AEBCAD784.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	955254

Click image for larger version  Name:	AD097960-578C-4F55-AA69-E76F29C6142E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.80 MB ID:	955257

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E0FEED7-8E0B-4EEF-B874-17D25D0D7195.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	955255

4. Simmer until potatoes begin to get very soft and break down (an hour or so) thickening the stew. If it needs to be thickened more, you cad add dried potato flakes towards the end. I like to really break up the potatoes as well, to match the small bits of ground beef and also help thicken just a bit. Also, notice below the small bits of ground beef here. As it starts to come together, begin to taste and add salt to your liking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B756176B-9372-449A-9D12-BFB8364C1D26.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	955258

SERVE

Click image for larger version  Name:	E8A8D017-F1D1-45B4-A690-3A0F8C7441EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	955259

This is where you get to have fun with your green chile stew. Serve in a bowl and accompany it with a few flour or corn tortillas. If the heat is too much, add a dollop of sour cream on top or a drop of honey and mix in. You can also top the bowl of green chile stew with cheese, white onions, tortilla strips - anything you feel like! Some will also serve a bowl of green chile stew with a smaller bowl of pinto beans cooked down a bit and thickened with a roux of flour and lard.

This recipe of green chile will also be thick enough to use as a sauce as well, so feel free to serve this over beef or cheese enchiladas, burritos or one of my favorites, Huevos Rancheros or chilaquiles. Or go all in and make an open face Green Chile Cheeseburger!

I think many know, I suggest green chile on almost everything. Brisket Tacos, carnitas, eggs, potatoes, Frito Pie, anything! It truly is apart of the New Mexican culture, red or green - or Christmas!

I hope you enjoy one of New Mexico’s many versions of green chile/green chile stew!

Last edited by barelfly; December 13, 2020, 10:02 AM.

Thanks so much for this excellent write-up. I especially appreciate the local and family history that went into it. I'll definitely earmark some of my frozen Big Jims to make a batch of this soon.

Comment

Many Thanks, an kudos fer makin such a useful, informative, an genuinely interestin post, amigo!

Bonus Points Awarded!!!!

I really LOVE th personal background, history, an touch that ya put on it.

Also, very helpful to listen, an learn from folks bout their regional cuisine

Loves LOVES LOVES!!! Me some peppers, an some chili, so this Really floats my boat!

Sadly, I'm already down to less than 25 lbs. each, of Charger, Sandia, an Lumbre...

It's a Very Long Time until Harvest, again...Reckon I'll haveta (try to) curtail my Hatch Pepper appetite...

(Like, Yeah; like that's gonna happen, in my lifetime lol!!!) :

I'll be tryin to make this here, sooner, rather than later!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Plenty of places in NM sell frozen - so....ya know, just in case you burn thru the good stuff, ya can always order some more!

Thanks for the comments! Glad you enjoyed the post.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fer th tip!

I git mine from there to Th Hatch Chile Store

They's a tremendous price break from buyin 25 lbs. vs buyin only 5...

They also sell frozen, but it gits $pendy, purty fast, though, so I would appreciate any insight as to other high quality purveyours of said chiles, if ya have any insider info fer me.

Either way, enjoyed yer write up, an our conversation. It made fer an enjoyable day!

Thanks! Be safe an well, Brother

Thank you for posting. I put it on the cooking list to give it a try next week.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing, sounds fantastic! Love me some green chile!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading though it!

Thanks for this recipe, it looks delicious! Very nice write up and I love the background story. I have everything to make this except that my taters are Yukon Gold which may disintegrate after an hour of simmering. I need to go on a beer run anyway so I can get some russets. Hmm...beer as part of the liquid sounds interesting. Plus I have venison/brisket blend ground meat AND a 5 gallon pot of venison stock simmering as I type to use (just processed a deer for snack stix).
      Last edited by 58limited; December 13, 2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Very intriguin, brothers...

A Venison Chili Verde? No matter how much I walk round that idea, an kick th tires, I jus cain't see how that would be a bad thing!

I've made decades wortha regular red type venison chili, never have tried it in a verde, though...Hmmm...

I always git given lotsa venison every year, in return fer smokin other folks hunts...

This, I think, bears a further look into!

Thanks fer th ideal, Brothers! barelfly 58limited
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 13, 2020, 09:17 PM.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly I ended up making this last night. Very simple and quite wholesome, really hit the spot on this cold rainy day. I used beer and a pint of venison broth. I noticed that the beer foamed up some as the temperature rose and helped with keeping the ground meat from clumping. I ended up using 3 lbs venison/ brisket, 18 Big Jims, 1 1/2 pint beer, 1 pint stock, and 2 cans of Muir Glen tomatoes. I brought it to work today, everyone is enjoying it.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited sweet! Glad you and the office friends are enjoying!

Thanks! Awesome write-up. I visited Santa Fe years ago and my favorite was Huevos Ranchero Christmas. So good!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I enjoy going to Santa Fe as well, love it! My wife and I try to go a few times a year for a night away and will stay near the plaza area and just walk around, grabbing some snacks and beverages throughout the day then finish it off at one of the many wonderful restaurants.

And, yes, Huevos Rancheros....you can’t beat them! Breakfast, lunch or dinner! And check my post below! I made up some this morning!

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        We went to the Inn of the Anasazi and the Bull Ring, and some cool little place for breakfast.

barelfly. That's a great write-up. Thank you for sharing the recipe and the history. My wife and I lived in Albuquerque while I attended UNM in the early 70's. I was not a fan of the Duke City but we both fell in love with the NM cuisine. Many of the larger restaurants were very good but our favorites were the "hole's in the wall" where we felt the finest food was available. I don't recall Frontier's across from UNM on Central but it may not have been there by the time we left in 1974. Thanks for helping us have yet another "hole in the wall" dish.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, you did it right by finding those mom and pop restaurants! Glad you enjoyed this dish and the story on ABQ/NM and it made you think back to some good times and food!

I knew you were up to something barelfly but this was not only spot on but amazing. What a contrast from Texas style. It really is interesting how ingredients and influences change from region to region. I'm going to launch a taco series, like chile it matters where you are as to what makes a good taco. Very impressive job my man, nice complement to my Texas Red post

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.GIF
Views:	800
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	955332

(But I still say it's CHILI and not CHILE )

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon I use several kindsa chiles to make me some chili, is how I sees it...ain't no Authority, but that's how I keep it sorted, in what passes fer what remains of my mind...

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated - and.....one of these days we’ll have to sit down together for a bowl of chil........

And looking forward to the tacos. You know it’s one of my favorites as much as i post about them here!

That is a great write up. That is on the menu for next weekend!

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it and look forward to hearing how it turns out!

Another great write-up today. I need to make this too.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you! Glad you enjoyed reading through it!

And who am I to not accompany my own green chile write up and mention Huevos Rancheros and not have a properly plated Huevos Rancheros with Green, please .

Made these up today since I had what I prefer for chile on these compared to what I made the other night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68B36488-E12D-4C70-A7D0-8DB10C04DCD7.jpeg
Views:	757
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	955591

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones - you have me laughin aloud! My wife is lookin at me as I type this, smiling and laughing! You always bring a smile to my face when I get to read your posts!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks fer yer Kind Words, Amigo!

Glad I could provide ya with a much-needed laugh, Brother!

Kinda a scarce commodity, in these here times...

Course, it'll cost ya some Huevos Rancheros LOL!

Be safe an well, alla yall there, Brother!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 13, 2020, 10:42 PM.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, I just did that for breakfast this morning! It is outstanding!

👍👍👍

Comment

Sounds delicious. Adding it to my short list of future cooks!

Comment

I don't know how I missed this the first time around. Got some lumbres and soem Big Jims hanging out in the freezer just waiting on this cook. One night this week for sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here