Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexican Green Chile Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew there was a reason to have two Dutch ovens!

Click image for larger version

Name:	651C1431-FBD3-4405-B8A6-83E274E3EADF.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	1295433

It wouldn’t be fair for me to make a huge batch of something that only I could eat, so I split the recipe in half and modified one. The one on the left is for Mrs M; I substituted multiple colored bell peppers for the Hatch peppers, and mushrooms for the tomatoes. I did roast and peel the bells. When I did a quick taste, it definitely was one dimensional; I added two cloves of pressed garlic to bring some flavors together.

The one on the right is the recipe as writtten, more or less. Meaning, I had some extra Hatch peppers so I tossed them in, and I used a whole can of stewed tomatoes in half a recipe, so twice the tomatoes. I have a can of Rotel I might throw in at the 1 hour mark.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Update: the mushroom version needed some serious work to balance it. I added a carrot, a celery stalk, a bay leaf, a teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning, and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar.

The basic recipe just doesn’t translate well, the way I did it. Now it’s pretty doggone good, though!

Mosca Thanks again for the instructions on using Paprika! I just downloaded my 1st recipe, barelfly ‘s recipe right here. Can’t believe how easy it was, plus I was easily able to add his pics to the recipe…..This is soo cool everyone, if you don’t have the Paprika app, get it soon. Best $5.00 you’ll spend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	197F28E7-D372-4909-92A5-1B2D990F1AE0.png Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	1295454
    Last edited by Panhead John; September 17, 2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

This is pretty damn good, especially considering how quickly it comes together.

A note: boxed beef broth varies considerably in taste and quality. Keep a jar of Better Than Bullion handy. If your broth tastes thin, a tablespoon of BTB brings it right around. Don’t add salt until after this, BTB has salt in it.

When I did a taste test on the standard version, I decided to add about a tablespoon of minced onion, and about a teaspoon of granulated garlic. It’s great as written, but I felt that those both added some appreciated, if not necessary, complexity. I went with the dried spices because it was after a couple hours of simmering. If doing this from the beginning, that’s probably 1 medium onion and 2 large (or 4 small) garlic cloves. I simmered it another hour or so, until the game was over.

I did thicken it with some potato starch, you could also use masa. We served it with cheese and sour cream.

A good recipe. Worth doing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	073121C7-CD88-4C65-892E-B741AB06EBF1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1295654
      Last edited by Mosca; September 17, 2022, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I use BTB for mine as well, but I don’t know how available it is to everyone. Sometimes I can find beef, sometimes I cant. But glad you enjoyed and made it your own.

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
      Mosca - you should do an open faced, Oklahoma onion green chile cheese burger with a ladle or two of this green chile stew!
      I did this before I seen your photo above, great minds think alike!

Click image for larger version

Name:	45838C3D-5698-4650-9101-27CE80CE4DBC.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1295829

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        A plate of goodness right there!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here