Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexican Green Chile Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for this. Looks great.

Comment

barelfly And here it is. Man this is some good stuff. Both the wife and I had seconds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	89D897A2-102E-47D5-932F-D309FF7578AB.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	994647

Comment

• Ghawtho
        Ghawtho commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks really good the only thing is we don’t like it with ground beef. We cube up pork pieces.

• Ghawtho
        Ghawtho commented
        Editing a comment
        This site is going to be a little cumbersome cause we don’t own a computer anymore. The wife and I both use either our phones or the iPad. We got tired of keeping computers updated and protected. We have been without computers for 3 years. They all went in the trash a few years ago and never gain owning a computer. If we need something printed we email documents to the OfficeMax shelf service printers.
        self service printers

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Ghawtho you can set it up so your phones and iPads can wirelessly print to a home printer FWIW.

Great write up! Gonna try this soon!

Comment

This got lost in must make pile. Moving it to the top. Sounds delicious!

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John - like David says, any green chile works. But, these are specifically of the Sandia variety that I get at a local farm about 5 minutes from the house. And yes, right now is the green chile harvest, probably the best time to get them and have them roasted. The Hatch Chile store has online purchasing if you can’t find them locally. But, even frozen chile would work - Bueno is another brand that I can find locally year round that is frozen. Hope that helps!

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks barelfly !

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John If you decide to order from the Hatch Chili Store give the Charger variety a look - I really like them . Otherwise Big Jim is the variety I order most often. I don't think our HEB even got any in this year. Last year they only got a few cases and I bought an entire case. In 2020 they stocked a lot and I bought two cases - one hot and one mild, varieties were not specified.

This downloads right into Paprika, if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin Copy the URL of this post. Paste in Paprika browser. Hit Download.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry hoovarmin , I started to answer but must’ve been distracted in the middle of it and forgot.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I got it downloaded. I can't believe it worked and knew to ignore all the comments. That app is amazing.

We have printed to our home printer before the only thing is the printer must be a WiFi connected printer. Not all the cheaper printers have WiFi built into the printer. We have thrown out several $150 printers cause we aren’t printing enough and the head dries up, once that happens the printer is almost worthless. I’m not sure how to hashtag other members so the person will see replies.
        Last edited by Ghawtho; September 14, 2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          You just type @ and their username without a space: Ghawtho

In a comment like this post you type it out. In a regular post like yours that I'm responding to as you begin to type the member name a drop menu appears with the name or several names with similar spelling, you just click the correct name.
          Last edited by 58limited; September 14, 2022, 06:03 PM.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I don’t have a printer at home any more, for that reason (ink dries out). The only reason I need one is because I’ve always done my taxes by had and mailed them in. But it’s actually cheaper and easier to pay someone to do them, instead of buying a new printer or set of cartridges every year.

We don’t have a laptop or desktop, either. I use either an iPad or my phone, Mrs Mosca just uses her phone.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          All good then!

Mosca We used to own a restaurant back in 2001 and had a friend that’s a CPA and he was doing our books for the restaurant and was doing our taxes as well. He still does our taxes to this day. We fill it’s best to have professionals do our taxes cause they know ALL the allowable deductions. For the longest time we didn’t know our vehicle registration could be used and several other things we didn’t know.
        I’m sure it’s vehicle registration goes on state tax returns, not federal.
        Last edited by Ghawtho; September 14, 2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I’m a math guy. It’s just arithmetic: go through it line by line, do all the addition and subtraction, and write (or get) a check.

Once our house was paid and our daughter graduated from college, our deductions fell below the standard deduction and it got a lot easier!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          You said before you only get social security, if that's your only income you really should not be using a CPA as you shouldn't have enough deductibles to break the threshold making deductions worth while. While everyone's tax situation is different I strongly feel considering your previous posts regarding finances that you might want to double check if a CPA is really the fiscally smart move.

Mosca - you should do an open faced, Oklahoma onion green chile cheese burger with a ladle or two of this green chile stew!

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn. I think you’re right. I’ve been on that Chicago dog kick for a week, but I had the last one from the pack for breakfast today (sick, innit?) and I need something new to gorge myself on first thing in the morning. This would be perfect. What’s that mushy burger thing they have in St Louis called? Garbage Plate? We can add that to the name, too!

Edit: Slinger.
          Last edited by Mosca; September 14, 2022, 10:35 PM.

I think I’m putting this together for football weekend. Or maybe next? I dunno. Anyone else who’s thinking it, regarding the quantity of peppers and "two sandwich bags": By coincidence, I cleaned mine, roasted then, chopped them and sealed them in 1/2 lb bags, and each bag was 7 peppers, give or take balancing them among bags. So 2 sandwich bags in the recipe is 1 lb of roasted, cleaned, chopped peppers.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          You did it right. I just shoved them in some vacuum bags, no weighing, no nothing lol

Man I am glad the resurfaced. Just got a new batch of chili's, still need to do the burger. Arteries going to harden up this weekend lol

Comment

I missed this also, Never had it, but looks so good. Excellent wright up and pictures. The story was the best part. Got to try this one. Is this a Texas dish also? I'm going to Texas this winter, and want to try different regional food.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Perhaps Texas makes something similar to this, but this is New Mexican food. Texas, it may be Tex-Mex of some sort unless you find a spot that has the New Mexican influence.

What part of Texas are you traveling to? You may come across a Chile Verde or Posole Verde, which is a bit different. The styles of this I’ve come across don’t have the green chile peppers included in the dish such as what I mention in the recipe.

But you never know what you may find out there!
            Last edited by barelfly; September 15, 2022, 06:56 PM.

• randy56
            randy56 commented
            Editing a comment
            Austin/ San Antonio then to Corpus Christi area.

barelfly Have you ever used savory sopapillas with this instead of tortillas? We got some mix when in NM last year and I’ve only made the ones with honey so far.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! Sopapillas! One of my favorite things to finish a New Mexican dinner off. Unfortunately, I am unable to eat sopapillas at this point in my life. I follow a gluten free diet, so…that said I just need to make these GF.

But in my time, I’ve never had savory for say, but stuffed sopapillas, with whatever you like - beef, chicken or my favorite when I was younger, carne adovada stuffed sopapillas!

But sopapillas would be wonderful with this!

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly Avocado stuffed sopapillas sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe for that? Anything else added in, like onion, cilantro, etc?

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooh! That takes me to my childhood as well. A placed Called Stufy’s had all kinds of stuffed sopapillas. The other one of my favorite was stuffed with guacamole, a potato wedge and ground beef (actually a hamburger patty), but this was so good. I always got a #13 - carne adovada and a #8 guacamole and beef.

You could add in the onion and cilantro, but have it! Sopapillas are like a blank canvas just waiting to be painted on!

Thank you for this post....well done

Comment

Originally posted by Ghawtho
            This site is going to be a little cumbersome cause we don’t own a computer anymore. The wife and I both use either our phones or the iPad. We got tired of keeping computers updated and protected. We have been without computers for 3 years. They all went in the trash a few years ago and never gain owning a computer. If we need something printed we email documents to the OfficeMax self service printers.
            Mrs and I don’t use computers or laptops, either. I use an iPad, and we both also use our Android based phones.

You have a couple options. First, you can download the free Adobe Acrobat app, and cut/paste recipes into that. Or, you could use Pages, which comes with iOS on your iPad. Or, you could just bookmark the page.

Many people here, and across the world for that matter, use a recipe organizer app. There are lots of free ones, but by far and away the best one is Paprika, which costs $5 and is worth every penny.

You 1) find a recipe on the internet

Click image for larger version  Name:	53333459-289E-4E41-9FD1-36122967CA2F.png Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1294936

2) Select Paprika and download the recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	4BA620C3-E7CE-4F6A-83DD-AD5308247B21.png Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1294937

And 3) wind up with this, stored inside the app.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F971060-C7F6-47AA-883E-1E1411B52D00.png Views:	0 Size:	543.9 KB ID:	1294938

That is just 1/10 of its functionality, but it’s the big one. For example, this recipe for green chile stew? All I did was download the discussion:

Click image for larger version  Name:	345507E7-75B9-4BE7-B07D-F494962F7EDA.png Views:	0 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	1294939

And got this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	AC4131E1-DAF7-48CB-86BE-DD16602CF639.png Views:	0 Size:	469.7 KB ID:	1294940

And for $5 you don’t have to drive anywhere, pay to print anything, etc. Worth every penny.
            Last edited by Mosca; September 16, 2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              The hardest part for me is to remember to use it when I’m looking for something to make. A few days ago I was looking at some chicken thighs in the freezer, and just when I thought about googling for recipes, I instead opened Paprika, chose my "chicken" tab, and I had all the ingredients for chicken fricassee. I’ve been googling recipes for so long, I forgot that I downloaded a few hundred of my favorites.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh; you see that highlighted "an hour" in the green chile stew recipe? Tap it and starts the freakin’ timer. That’s how fully functional it is.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, how cool is that!?! Gonna download Paprika now Mosca

barelfly klflowers I plan on breaking this recipe in half, one for myself and one for Mrs Mosca. For her, I plan on subbing green pepper for the NM peppers, she can’t have the capsaicin, and mushrooms for the tomatoes, she can’t have them either.

But otherwise, man, this looks like it could use some garlic, and onions? What say you? Barelfly I know you said you were duplicating a taste from school days, but did you ever add anything?

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with ya on the onions and garlic addition, I was wondering that myself.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca Panhead John I made it just as his recipe says and it was excellent

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure. Have at it! My buddy and I were wanting to create what we get at The Frontier, so that’s what was done. When my wife makes her green chile stew, she does add some onion I believe, perhaps some garlic. But, honestly, it doesn’t need it. The flavor comes from the beef and the green chile. Try it a few different ways and see what works best for you. But do let me know how it turns out either way!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here