Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Birria (Stew)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Birria (Stew)

Dish Description: Deep, rich savory meat stew. Delicious when served with chopped cilantro and white onion, sliced radish and cabbage and soft flour tortillas. Meat can also be used in tacos and burritos.

Headnote: I added cooked hominy (Rancho Gordo) to this dish to get that Posole vib. But the stew really stands on its own. I got this recipe off the internet (allrecipes) from my daughter.

Makes or Serves: Serves 4.

Takes: Max: 2 days. Min: 4 hours.

Serve with: Chopped cilantro, chopped white onions, sliced cabbage and radish and cheese (if wanted).

Special tools: Immersion blender, stock pot.

Ingredients:

Meat
    2 lbs Chuck cut into ~3" cubes

Dry Rub Seasoning
    4 tsp Kosher Salt (Diamond)
    1 tsp black pepper, fresh ground
    1 Tbsp Mex. Oregano, dried
    1 tsp Cumin, ground

¼ tsp Allspice, ground
    ¼ tsp Cinnamon, ground

​Veggies
    7-8 Dry Guajillo Chiles, cap, ribs and seeds removed.
    1” Ginger, fresh, thinly sliced
    1 Large Onion, rough chop
    6 Garlic Cloves, rough chop
    3 Large Tomatoes, cored, rough chop

Liquid

​1.5 Qts Beef Broth (I use homemade broth)
    1 Tbsp Honey
    ¼​ C. Wht. Vinegar
    3 Bay Leaves

Method:

Day 1 (Meat & Seasoning)
    1. Cut Chuck into pieces. Place in large bowl and set aside.
    2. Make Rub Seasoning. Season beef in bowl. Wrap bowl in cellophane and refrigerate overnight.
    Day 2 (Veggies & Liquid)
    1. In 4 Qt. pot heat 2 tbsp. EVOO and heat to high. Add chilies and sauté constantly for 1 min. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté a few minutes. Add tomatoes and then 2 cups water. Bring to boil, then down to gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30-45 min.
    2. Take pot off heat. Using an immersion blender, puree mixture.
    3. Place seasoned beef in a 8 qt. stock pot. Use some broth to pick up seasonings left in bowl.
    4. Strain chili puree directly over the beef. Bring fire up. Add broth (plus seasoning bowl liquid), honey, vinegar and bay leaves.
    5. Bring to boil, reduce to gentle simmer. Simmer for 3-4 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally, Check for tenderness and broth consistency. Add more broth if necessary.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TripleB; January 30, 2023, 12:48 PM.

GOD, that looks SO tasty! Way to go, man! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That looks great, but how much cumin?

Comment

• CHNeal
        CHNeal commented
        Editing a comment
        1😜

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        1 tsp. Thank you for catching this. Updated ingredients.

That looks so satisfying. Would be perfect for our below zero weather.

Comment

Thank you. We started making barelfly ‘s Posole recipe using pork Adovada which the whole family loves and this dish looks like it would be a winner also.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I looked at that recipe too. This dish is similar, but of course uses beef. The hominy does not need to go in, but I added it.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmm…birria! It’s so good!

Thanks for sharing. I haven’t landed on a go-to recipe for Birria yet so I’ll have to give this one a shot

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Birria…….

I love that you added in posole to this dish! Just another way to add some heartiness to this wonderful dish!

and your final plating looks amazing! Uggh. i could use some of that right now as I sit in the airport waiting on my delayed flight!

birria!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to mention this with your Adovada recipe but just forgot. After making it the first time I realized I should have strained the puree while adding. For first timers like myself I think that instruction would help your recipe too.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Donw - I don’t strain the red chile purée, I just blend the chile very well, and that’s where the liquid helps, but making sure it’s not too watery. It’s a balance I guess. What is needing straining in your cook? Chile seeds, or the Chile itself? letting the chiles soak in warm water as you are cleaning out the seeds can help when blending down the chile. Let me know if I can help trouble shoot any of that with you.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          We cleaned the peppers very well, removed all seeds and ribs, and puréed throughly but would find a tiny fragment of skin occasionally. That’s okay, its probably my technique, but straining corrected it for us.

Looks amazing, thanks for the recipe and pics.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here