Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Barley Soup Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Barley Soup Recipe

Well, I started on Panhead John’s Souper challenge! I have been making beef barley soup for years, but I’ve never written it down before. Here you go.

A couple points …. Don’t overdo the salt, pepper, garlic. You want the beef to shine through and rich and beefy. The thyme and bay leaves contribute to that, but the salt and garlic will overwhelm the beefy soup and pepper will just make it too spicy. These proportions are ones I have worked out over a lot of years and they work well.

Ingredients

2 tbsp EVOO
    1 small yellow onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
    2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
    1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
    2 bay leaves
    1/3 cup pearled barley
    8 oz stew meat, cut into 1/2” pieces
    6 cups home made beef stock or beef bouillon such as better than bouillon
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp fine ground black pepper

Method

Step 1

Salt and pepper the stew meat, tossing it with the salt and pepper, reserve in the refrigerator

Step 2

Heat EVOO in pot until shimmering, but not smoking,​ then brown beef well on all sides. Roughly about 5 minutes. Reserve beef.

Step 3

Now add onion/carrots/celery and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes until onion is translucent. Add thyme and garlic, cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Then deglaze pot with 1/2 cup of beef stock or red wine (your choice).

Step 4

Add remaining ingredients (reserved beef, barley, bay leaves, remaining beef stock) to the pot. Bring to a boil.

Step 5

Reduce to simmer, cook about 50 minutes. Barley will be doubled in size and have a nice bite when it is done. Skim fat every 10 minutes, or so.

Serve with crusty sourdough bread and a glass of hearty red wine!

I made beef stock yesterday …. Which I used to make the soup today!!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	90BA980D-577B-4252-BD48-B05AAD7BB8D9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	1337566

Some of the ingredients
    Click image for larger version  Name:	77816212-C676-4F44-98C7-22375A9D1C66.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.14 MB ID:	1337571

Cooking the beef
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B954144E-F811-4E2B-AF48-2736550F8A7E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	1337567

Loaded up the pot
    Click image for larger version  Name:	68D21A36-86C1-4E06-A725-0C61E910AAEA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	1337570

Soup is cooking
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DB21B6D9-7F3A-4FB2-AD94-C38D054CC774.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1337569

Yum
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DEB707BB-126B-49D4-A400-027DB4A10093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	1337568

bread
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E796BC43-793D-4B70-A46F-AC42AA2BA297.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.21 MB ID:	1337572
    Last edited by ecowper; December 2, 2022, 10:00 PM.

Nice job and presentation!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! This is one of the soups I’ve cooked for years, but always just did it by memory. Decided to write it down tonight.

• Allon
      Allon commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome.

My grandmother from the Ukraine used to make it all the time... One of my all time favorites.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Allon my grandmother was from Hungary …. I learned a lot of my cooking from her

Thanks for that - I copied it all to my OneNote. Looks and sounds perfect!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy!

That is some fine looking soup, sir! ... so fine that I've taken the liberty of getting your masterpiece into Paprika for those of us who geek out on such things ...
    Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m honored and I hope you enjoy it my friend!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks MBMorgan and ecowper. Added to my Paprika.

This was one of my favorite soups growing up as a kid. Haven’t had it in years…but your recipe may change that soon!

thanks for sharing!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s so easy. do it!

Yep into my files this goes! Thank you! This looks great.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      And easy, too … enjoy

Yay, another ecowper soup recipe. Into Paprika it went. Into our stomachs it will go, all in good time.

Thanks a bunch.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to get them written down when I make them. Most are just things I do from memory.

Looks great.
    Beef barley is a favorite at our house.
    gonna que this up soon

Edit to add...I'm recently finding bay leaf to be an underutilized herb / spice. I used to really only use it in tomato sauce. Lately I've been using it in other recipes to good effect.
    Last edited by Finster; December 3, 2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Bay leaves do awesome things to your food.

Yum. Gonna have to give this a try. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here