Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mexican Carne Adovada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bueno is the operative word here. Muy rico or muy sabroso also come to mind, even before I've tasted it.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      given where you are, I’m sure you could get some chile!

Thanks for the comment!

"16oz bag of dried New Mexico red chile pods *see photo below of what I have used, or similar to (you can use dried chile powder, however I don’t know the conversion needed for this. It will need to be a decent amount to make a thick base)"

I took a 2 oz. package of ancho chilies, removed the stems and seeds, and then ground them as fine as I could in my Osterizer blender. I got 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) of powder. It was probably not as fine as commercial ground anchos, however. I didn't have any commercial ancho powder on hand, which is why I took the time to make my own. However, one could weigh out some commercial powder, say 2 to 4 Tbsp., and then see how many pods (stemmed and seeded) it would take to make a similar weight.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a good post! When I make Birria de Res, I use powder as well and have figured about 1-2TBS per dry chile pod needed. I have not used powder for this, but that could be a way to get around this.

So great post!

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      So 2 cups of chili powder sounds about right.

This is great! Thank you for sharing this family treat. This is what this place is all about!

I will try this for a Sauna night! Seems to be perfect!

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh - it would be perfect for sauna night!!!!

So this is now on the list to make as I have a chili contest coming up.

i am going to use your chili powder I think. I guess I need to figure out how much to use. I also have that posole too so maybe add that in too.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...45#post1144745
    Last edited by STEbbq; February 25, 2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! happy to help with anything you might need. But, the posole is a separate dish, more of a soup. I may not have explained that well above and need to go back and check on that. The Carne Adovada is thicker, stew like I guess. It’s really the blended up chile or chile powder with some liquid. As for the amount of powder needed, I searched a few months back for a conversion and found one when I made adobo sauce. Let me find it and will post.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      I see above I say 1-2 tbs. I just googled again and found .5-1tsp for a chile pod. When I made the adobo, I just looked at the consistency and added water until I was happy. You want it thick, but not so thick. I’d say the 1-2 Tbs would be a good start, or the 1-2 cups total you mention. Let me know how I can help. Next time I make it, I’ll try and make a point to measure. I don’t grind the chiles to powder, I just blend them but I can see what I come up with. Have fun making this!

I some how missed this when it was posted. I thank IFind for bumping this, it is invaluable! I need to not only make this , but put it in my permanent Itinerary. The year I lived & traveled New Mexico, ‘87, I had the opportunity to eat in many "mom & pop" places. I searched them out. I really missed the fare. Thanks so much man.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      glad you enjoyed the read. And, can’t wait to see how it turns out for you. ‘87 my grandparents may have had their restaurant still…perhaps you even visited their restaurant in Albuquerque let me know if I can help with any of the recipe!

Hello, long time lurker and user of many recipes on this site. My wife grew up in New Mexico and her parents are from Tucson. I have learned to love the New Mexican taste of Southwestern food. One of our Christmas Eve traditions is a big pot of posole, green chile chicken enchiladas and of course, tamales. My wife’s posole recipe was passed on from her mom and I can’t tell you what all is in it. But it is phenomenal. They cook a full pot so we get to enjoy it for quite a few days. Posole only happens once a year at my house and it’s always the highlight of the holiday.

I saw your Carne Adovada recipe and cooked it today. It’s fantastic and reminds us both of New Mexico. I had never used dried chiles to make my own sauce. I found removing the stems and seeds tedious but not difficult. (Be sure to use gloves!) the rest was straightforward and well explained. Thanks! You’ve inspired me to try making my own chile sauce again, and I’m hoping to get better at it over time. Great recipe!
    Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, to have you make your first post about carne adovada…that’s pretty cool. And, to hear this reminds you of being back in New Mexico is just awesome! Like you, New Mexican food is a constant reminder of my grandparents and the recipes and traditions they have passed on to me. I’m happy you found this and gave it a try!
      Last edited by barelfly; November 20, 2022, 04:10 PM.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Your first post, and a picture too.
      I agree, this sight is amazing.

Absolutely. I love the deep red color the dried chiles give this.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, the deep red color is spot on! Man this makes me want to make some!

I made the green chili one (several times at this point) but I forgot about this one. Got to move it up towards the top of the list.

Comment

Here it is almost a year later and we finally decided to try this recipe to be a little adventurous since neither of us have had anything similar. Simmered the Adovada for close to 3 hours and then added ladles of it to Posole and simmered them together. This was a totally new taste sensation we had not experienced before and we found it delicious. We will be making this recipe regularly from now on. Thank you for writing it up.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s these type of responses that just make me smile! The opportunity to share something that is so close to my heart with those around the country! Thank you for sharing your experience!

I’ll be making another batch in a week! And, if you have leftovers, I highly suggest huevos rancheros! It’s almost even better!

With regard to the minced garlic and the beef base, did you mean teaspoons or tablespoons?

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Tablespoons, I always use a regular spoon and eyeball what I feel is right for my taste preferences.

Thanks for the note on that. I’ll make the edit.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Great minds think alike. I was cutting up pork butt this morning at 6:30 AM getting ready to put a pot on for carne adovada for a late lunch for the extended family.

Jeremy, would I be considered an infidel if I made a batch of this using chuck roast instead of pork butt?

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        With beef it's called carne con chili colorado, the word colorado meaning colored red. It's a staple at my house and I use a mixture of dried anchoes, guajillo and depending on heat arbol chilies. I always make my own chili paste because it's way cheaper and tastier than dried commercial powders.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, Bkhuna

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course not! That’s what I call, as the others mention, chile con carne (it’s always a chile with an E in New Mexico 😎). The beef brings on another type of flavor that is excellent! And is nice to switch up from time to time.

Heck, even ground beef, what we just call red chile, is really good.

My recommendation, skim the fat off as much as you can. That chuck is going to put off a layer of oil that is going to be unpleasant on the mouth if you are cooking from raw. But have at it!

Okay, folks, here we go. Friday evening I dry brined an Angus chuck roast from Sam's Club.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-25 14.38.01.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	1397131

And then yesterday I used most of a one pound bag of dried New Mexico red chiles to follow this recipe and wind up with what you folks in the know say is a Chile Colorado (edit: or Chile con Carne, see, I'm still learning). All it needed for dinner was a few tortillas and a salad that's not shown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-25 18.33.43.jpg Views:	8 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1397132

But as Jeremy tells us, it's the next morning when this stuff really shines.

I decided to go with chilaquiles. I air fried some of the remaining white corn tortillas as the base. Here we are partially assembled:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-26 09.48.51.jpg Views:	8 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	1397134

I tossed a sliced Serrano pepper into the last round in the air fryer.

And fully assembled. This is definitely not the only time I will make this! Thanks again, Jeremy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2023-03-26 09.51.47.jpg Views:	8 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1397133

I had laid out some white cheddar to grate over this and didn't realize until the first bite that I forgot to do it. And then I realized the flavor combo was perfect as is and the eggs provided all the fat that the dish needed.
      Last edited by Jim White; March 26, 2023, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Manna from Heaven! Well, manna from Jeremy in New Mexico, any way.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks really good Jim. When I take up residence in my... wait, I mean your new home addition, can you make me that for breakfast? Daily?

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m reading through this post, and your carne adovada is legit! Especially with the chilequiles!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here