Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robwhatever’s Smokey Chili Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robwhatever’s Smokey Chili Recipe

I’ll start with the recipe and then post some photos in a separate post. I dug into the freezer to take trimmings from three briskets recently made, some left over brisket from said cooks and some smoked beef tallow I rendered and smoked on the M36. This chili is all about heat, smoke and more smoke.

Ingredients

2 medium sized white onions, chopped
    3 Anaheim peppers, chopped
    Smoked beef tallow
    2 large cans of crushed, roasted tomatoes.
    4 tablespoons of tomato paste
    1 can of chipotle in adobo
    1.5 quarts of beef stock
    chili powder
    Ancho chili powder
    cayenne powder
    ground cumin
    3 smoked ham hocks
    3-4 lbs. of raw brisket trimmings, trimmed of fat, sinew and cubed
    2 lbs of smoked brisket leftovers, cubed

Now for the cook.

1. Add 3 tbls. Beef tallow to a Dutch oven or stock pot heated over medium high heat.
    2. Add chopped onions and peppers. Sauté until softened.
    3. Add chili powder, cayenne, cumin and ancho all to taste and cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
    4. Add tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
    5. Add ham hocks, crushed tomatoes, 1 qt. of beef stock. Stir it up, l’il darling. Add the cooked brisket and bring to a slow boil.
    6. Heat a separate sauté pan on medium high heat and add 3 tbls. beef tallow. Once melted, add uncooked brisket trimmings and brown on all sides. Once complete add to the chili stock pot. Do this in batches. You will need to add some more tallow for each batch.
    7. Once all brisket has been added to the chili pot, pour off the fat and deglaze the pan with the remaining beef stock, scraping off all the nubby bits in the pan. Add it to the chili pot.
    8. Get your smoker smoking to 275-300. Add the pot of chili and smoke for 3- 4 hours. Stir it up every hour or so.

To finish, add sour cream, grated cheddar, Fritos or whatever else you like.

Pics to follow.

rob

Sounds great! I make Red quite often, and have a good recipe, but I may try this soon. Ham hocks...i am an all beef guy, may try oxtail.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am wondering if the ham hock is fresh or smoked?

• Rob whatever
      Rob whatever commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoked. I did everything I could to amp up the smoke flavor.

Rob

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Oxtails? Brilliant!

Sounds great. I was a little taken with the ham hocks. But I can see how that would add some incredible flavor.
    Thanks for your recipe. 👍

Comment

Here are the pics. A little out of order, but Sam the cat showed up as soon as the brisket hit table.

rob
      Attached Files

Comment

Great job Rob. I love the fact that you didn’t put any beans in your chili.

Comment

Very nice, I like the ham hock thang too.

Comment

Sounds great. A good brisket chili is hard to beat. You dialed it up to 11 with those ham hocks.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here