Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eric's Smoked Texas Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric, you say "1 can diced tomato..." What size? 14 oz,? Seems like it based on the photo.
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; September 3, 2021, 07:41 AM. Reason: Updated noticing the carrots are added for crunch, not sweetness

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Good catch. I thought I had caught all those ambiguous amounts and made them exact. It is a 14 oz can

I don't know about carrots! This sounds like a stand-up recipe, I will try it.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! You can leave out the carrots.

Sounds great. I just pulled a chili recipe from the internet today. Similar to yours but not as in depth. Gotta try your modifications

Comment

Can you can it and send me a pint? I will pay postage.

Comment

I make a very similar chilli based upon Meatheads method but next time I make a batch I am going to add in some Marmite which is a yeast extract from the UK. I like to watch a you tuber by the name of Glen and Friends and he puts some of this in most beef soups and stews that he makes. He says it adds depth to the flavours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	783853A1-9691-49A6-A0BF-2A2BE9762AFF.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1087689

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting, I’d like to hear what you think when you try it.

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I use fish sauce, does the same thing as the Marmite. I'd bet miso, Maggi seasoning, and soy sauce would all work here. Or just MSG, which is basically what all those are doing anyway.

I just can’t believe you don’t put canned red kidney beans in it. No Texas chili is complete without it.

On a serious note, I can’t believe you’re adding carrots to any kind of chili. Nobody and I mean nobody ever puts carrots in a chili. I’m seriously considering banishing you from the next Texas MeatUp….or at least act like I don’t know you.
        Last edited by Panhead John; September 3, 2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, can’t hear you, you’re blocked!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, well that explains things ecowper, I've only ever blocked one person. Jamhead Pam, or something.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre that guy!

It looks great.

It also looks completely different from what I would make and call chili.

That’s neither good nor bad. Just different.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s the beauty of this art called cooking!

For extra crunch, I'll leave out the carrots (not a fan of cooked carrots), and continue to use Frito Scoops when eating it.

Nice recipe, ecowper . Thanks for going to all the trouble to give it to us.

I've never tried chocolate in my chili. I do, however, add soy sauce and almost always use smoked chuck, although every now and then we get a hankering for old school ground beef chili.

This will be fun to try, sans carrots.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; September 4, 2021, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, honestly that 10 minutes doesn’t really cook the carrots very much. Love your feed back when you do this recipe!

Been meaning to ask you this. Is there a reason you used BBBR instead of your rub? I like yours better and I am planning on using it.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          BBBR was prior to finalizing EBR. Now I use mine :-)

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool. I have had a hankering for some chili and I have been trying to decide how to cook it. This method won the day

I know this is dangerous territory but you are my friend Eric.

I have approval to make this soon!

Don’t block me….but what amount of beans should I add to this recipe? You know, the usual kind.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Throw a can of kidney beans in. Duh!

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          None. You should add none beans, no more, no less.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here